Azeez Ojulari 6'3 240 OLB Georgia

I hear that he’s an explosive pass-rusher…now THAT has been sorely missed in our defense IF it is true. sounds just like a guy we could use, thoughts?

One of my five favorite players in this draft. Probably my favorite defensive player this year.

1 Like

In a trade down situation situation around 20 I could see him as an option.

I liked Yannick Ngakoue coming out and they are similar players.

I’m curious to see just how high he’s selected because I think he has the potential to be the first DE taken.

Azzez’ functional strength is on a different level. Conversely he’s not as bendy as Yannick. I can definitely see it by Azeez is a more of a two way player IMO.

1 Like

I’m having a hard time knowing what kind of DL/LB players I want the Lions to add because I have no idea what the scheme is going to be.

Like the player and if we traded down far enough where taking him makes sense value wise, (15-25), then we probably get enough loot to fill more “need” positions in the 2nd/3rd. But barring that, EDGE rusher is one of our deeper positions with a re-signed Romeo, Flowers and JOk. Then we have Harris and Bryant as depth players. Now IMHO Ojulari would walk in with more pass rush juice/talent than anyone we have. But with the setup we have now, would I rather see my starting EDGE pass rushers be the Brothers Okwara, or would I rather see Flowers and JOk riding the pine for Ojulari and having our #1WR be Ty Williams? I’d rather see higher investment into an interior pass rusher in the 2nd round, than an EDGE guy. Onwuzurike/Nixon.

I read that he had a couple of concussions early in his college career, does that affect his draft stock in your opinion?

:man_shrugging:. Not a doctor. Never even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

I don’t recall Azeez having any majors concussions but I know he had an ACL injury.

Kyle Pitts has had a few and people don’t seem to be too worried about it with him.

Personally I think it comes down to how bad the concussion was because it seems that when a player has a real bad one, then they often get them easier and their career is shorter.

Pitts concussion was bad … the hit was so violent that he had to have surgery on his nose. Pitts missed multiple games due to a concussions.

Like the Best injury at Cal. I was watching that game live. That was scary as hell

I think he’s a great prospect if you are looking for a 34 passrush olb type. If you want an every down DE I would pass. And I kinda want to see what Okwara can do first.

That’s how I feel. Romeo seems to have become an above average NFL pass rusher. Julian has more god given talent. If he pops we’re probably in okay shape. While you can never have enough pass rushers I think we’re deficient enough elsewhere to pass on it in round 1 until next year at least.

Did you see the hit Pitts took?

I shared it in the Pitts thread. Here it is again.

I didn’t till now. Yeah that’s pretty awful as well.

That’s where I’m at and you’ve got to find something to do with Flowers as well. Can’t have 10M per year dudes for non-starter roles. It wouldn’t shock me if Flowers gets moved when financially viable and if that’s as soon as next year, then it’s possible to go EDGE early this year. But then you are essentially putting JOk as a sub package guy and at a 3rd round cost, that isn’t terrible, but we’re also staring down the barrel of Crosby/Nelson at RT, Ty Williams as your #1WR, JRM/Anzalone as your WLB, Tavai as your MLB, Hand/Williams as your version of Aaron Donald. Just depends on priorities. I’m more inclined to look at dudes like Roche and Rumph later on and viewing a guy like that as your sub package pass rusher and give JOk a shot in a real defense to see what we’ve got. That said, if Jordan Smith falls to our 3rd round pick, I’m sprinting to the podium, pulling a hammy in the process of course, but then making that pick!!