Baker Mayfield?

[quote=“wesleysh21, post:60, topic:1854, full:true”]

[quote=“Guitargod19, post:57, topic:1854, full:true”]

I’m not dancing Wes, I’m providing facts that what Peyton did in his MVP seasons on a lesser team is far more impressive than anything Cam has accomplished in his entire, mediocre career. Are you going to make your argument about how Peyton’s 2013 MVP is comparable to Cam’s or not?

I didn’t mention Peyton’s 2013 season, you did because you don’t want to address what I said. And its not about “being more impressive.” You said Cam didn’t have the stats to get the award. He did, and his stats were actually comparable to Peyton Manning in several of his MVP seasons.

But I know, we should just do away with the MVP award in every year that someone can’t match Brady in 2007, Manning in 2013 or Mahomes in 2018.:roll_eyes:

Actually you are dancing. You are making an “Angry Driver” like argument piecing statistics here and there that only suit your argument. Then when a different fact is presented to you you change the criteria in order to try and maintain what you are saying as truth. Sure Aikman and Elway played in a different era, but there were still QBs in that era who were throwing for more than 4000’yds and 30+ TDs. So the fact that Aikman never did it means that he is overrated according to your criteria. Otherwise you should understand that Cam Newton’s impact is far bigger than putting up pretty numbers. His team wins with him and he is a big reason why they win. His impact is not overrated as you are trying to say.

You said 4 of Peyton’s MVP seasons compare to Cam’s and you could could make an argument for the 5th…so let’s here it.

The stat’s I’m presenting are a fair representation of the team around the MVP player. Without Peyton, that team falls apart, without Cam, the team still wins games. I’m not the one who brought Peyton into this argument, but that’s low hanging fruit so I’m going to use it to counter his argument. Did Cam help his team win in 2015? Absolutely. Did his stats warrant an MVP? No, not IMO, I would’ve voted for Brady or Palmer that year.

Side note…Blake Friggen Bortles had VERY similar stats to Cam that year, think about that.

Here they are, with Cam Newton’s 2015 season randomly placed in there for fun.

4,267 yards…29 TDs…10 INTs
3,837 yards…35 TDs…10 INTs
3,747 yards…28 TDs…10 INTs
4,002 yards…27 TDs…12 INTs
4,500 yards…33 TDs…16 INTs

He added 600 yards rushing and another 10 TDs.

I just wanted to remind you of what started this entire thing. You tried to dismiss Cam’s 2015 season as “pedestrian” and said his numbers don’t stack up against most MVPs. Yet all you’ve done since then is dismiss most MVPs stats for various reasons, and then grab random exterior criteria to try to cloud the discussion. “When I said his stats don’t stack up, what I meant was he had a good defense!!!” Wait, what?

Uh… d’you remember when, umm, this thread was started… and had nothing to do with Cam Newton???

That was awesome.

Without Cam Newton the Panthers still wins games? So do the Saints without Drew Brees. So now Brees is overrated…right?

The 2nd one is Cam’s and the 3rd one is not one of Peyton’s MVP seasons, nice try.

I stand by my statement, he didn’t earn that MVP as a QB, which I’ve always said he’s a mediocre QB. What made him “special” was his size, not his ability to play QB. I’m not dismissing any stats, what stat did I dismiss? I dismissed players that played in a different era as comparisons. As far as the good defense argument goes, I’m introducing MORE data to show that he’s not not the reason the team was successful, sure he’s a part of it, but by and large, he wasn’t the most valuable commodity that lead to wins. Especially when compared to a Peyton Manning.

Yep, that was definitely my bad. I got some of my seasons mixed up. But Cam holds his own statistically vs all of Brett Favre’s MVP seasons and 2 of Manning’s MVP seasons. But he had a pedestrian year and his numbers don’t compare to most MVPs? That’s incorrect.

Brees is old and that offense shifted a few seasons ago… He’s not the player he once was.

Yeah and the Patriots went 11-5 the year Brady got hurt and missed 15 games…:shushing_face::shushing_face::shushing_face::shushing_face:

Guess I hold completion percentage in higher regard than you do. Cam’s MVP season is a product of a good team around him, not him elevating his team.

I hold BB in much higher regard than I do Tom Brady… And that proves my point about Cam, the Pats had a top 10 defense and rushing offense that year… That equals wins, sure good QB play helps, but it’s not the be all end all.

45 touchdowns accounted for and over 4,000 yards of offense. Yeah, let’s focus on “completion percentage.” Seems legit. Kirk Cousins - the real 2018 NFL MVP!!!

If you hold completion percentage in higher regard than you don’t think much of Elway…:man_shrugging:t6::man_shrugging:t6::man_shrugging:t6::man_shrugging:t6:

You’re obsessed with an era that declared 60% completion as good, we’re not in those times anymore.

Again, as a QB, he’s mediocre… I’m not saying he had a bad year, but given his circumstances, I don’t believe he was worthy of an MVP. He put up pedestrian numbers based on what he had to work with.