Baker Mayfield?

John Elway has the same problem. Elway doesn’t have a 2-1 TD to INT ratio. He is sub 60% in completion percentage. Does it take away from his Hall of Fame career??

During Elway’s career era, defenses were able to play far more physically with the receiver as I recall. But even though it’s a reasonable comparison otherwise, Cam would have a long long way to go to match Elway’s five Super Bowl appearances ; winning the last two.

I thought we weren’t allowed to count seasons where the QB had a good defense and running game?

Yep, Sherman is now saying he’s going to reach-out and apologize to Mayfield. Sherman is an idiot anyways.

1 Like

The league is a lot more passer friendly than it was back then. It would feast on defenses in this era.

For much of Elway’s career his numbers fell short even for his own era.

1 Like

Not during the 1992, 1993, and 1995 Super Bowls.

I will never take credit away from winning a Super Bowl…but Aikman has never passed for more than 3500 yds and his career high in passing TDs is 23. Not shedding any bad lights on his hall of fame career

You also can’t ignore that for most of his career if Carolina got a first and goal at the 5 or closer it was pretty much “Cam’s got this.” He could single handedly finish the drive. That is huge.

Does Cam have scatter shot accuracy? Absolutely, but he does some things at a near super human level and that offsets some of his flaws.

I would agree that unless Cam can evolve his game will likely not age well but he’s been a pretty good NFL QB throughout most of his career.

I’m confused. What does this have to do with Cam Newton?
You’re using two all time greats as comparisons.

Is Newton even better than Stafford? He’s had a pretty good career with a lot of mediocre sprinkled in and one unreal season. Overall, nothing special really.

1 Like

Different eras.

I think Baker takes his job a little more seriously than that Elite NFL QB Johnny Football

But not by much

Time will tell. Too small of a sampling and there is film on him now. The big test is always where they go AFTER the whole league has film on them

Because Cam was said to be mediocre because of numbers that these two Hall of Game QBs have the same numbers. Like dub 60% completion percentage (Elway), INT ratio isn’t 2-1 (Elway), only one season with 4,000+ passing yds (Elway only did it once, Aikman never did it) so I’m wondering does the same logic apply here??

Oh and playoff wins and a Super Bowl appearance are pretty special…just sayin

Not really. Troy was a winner and he delivered when called upon. But his numbers dont stack up against other QBs of his time.

1 Like

Emmitt Smith, though.

HAHAHA If you’re going to try to compare Peyton Manning to Cam Newton and their QB stats, that’s an easy win for me. Comparable in what way? Besides Manning have a MUCH better completion percentage, here’s a look at his MVP seasons…

2003 - #2 in total offense 19th in rushing 20th in defense
2004 - #1 in total offense 15th in rushing 19th in defense
2008 - #13 in total offense 31st in rushing 7th in defense
2009 - #7 in total offense 32nd in rushing 8th in defense

Not once did Peyton have the support Newton had in his MVP seasons, the years he had a good defense, he had NO running game. He is the definition of an MVP, 2011 is the perfect example of what happens a real MVP goes down, a 2-14 season. Newton goes down in 2014, they win both games he misses…he misses 2 games in 2016, they lose both…2 games in 2018, they split…3 games this year, they’ve won all 3. He’s a mediocre QB

Go ahead and make your argument to compare Peyton’s record breaking 2013 MVP season to Cam’s, this should be fun.

Btw, the three years Peyton played after Cam was drafted (the same era) before age caught up to him, he threw for 4649, 5477 and 4727 yards, averaged 68% completion, 44 TDs and 12 INTs per season.

Different era…might as well put Joe Namath’s numbers against Stafford’s to make a case for him being in the HOF

Funny, I was just watching something on NFLN about Aikman…coaches were commenting on how he could have had a Dan Marino career if he wanted, but he wanted to win and knew the strengths of the team in the OL and RB. So he gladly traded stats for championships.

And again…DIFFERENT ERA

[quote=“Guitargod19, post:57, topic:1854, full:true”]

[quote=“wesleysh21, post:38, topic:1854, full:true”]

Like I said, you are grabbing random ass stats and won’t face reality. Oh, so NOW completion percentage is the main stat we need in order to determine MVPs. Well hell, let’s crown Kirk Cousins the 2018 NFL MVP then.

You said Cam didn’t have the stats to back up an MVP award he received. I brought up Brett Favre’s MVP seasons, where Cam was comparable. You said that was too long ago, which is bullshit but whatever. So I bring up how Cam’s stats were comparable to Peyton Manning in several of his MVP seasons. Your response is “but his completion percentage, and defense, and oh by the way let’s look at random other seasons of Peyton Manning to distract!!!”

Face it, Cam’s MVP season was indeed worthy of the MVP award. You can try to dance around it all you want, and pull up random other numbers that you suddenly decide are more important when you know they are not. Cam balled out that year.