Banging the table for Kyle Pitts

I think your saying the same thing I’m saying Wes.

If the Lions or Dolphins drafted him and used him as a TE you negate Hock (or Gesicki) because you just made them a blocking TE. If you move him out to WR then you limit what you can do, and you make it easier to defend. So why not just go grab a WR that can run a complete route tree and take on DB’s?

The appeal to a guy like Pitts is you get a matchup up advantage at TE because he’s on a LBer most of the time. You get a big body target in the red zone. You lose that advantage if you move him outside.

I’m fairly confident that the Lions and MIA won’t draft Pitts.

I think both MIA and DET have the same targets. Parsons, Smith, Chase, Sewell, Waddle or the long shot is Surtain.

1 Like

I’m not on the “hey take a TE again train.” But I am all for giving Goff each and every weapon to be successful for US. I really like what Pitts ‘can’ do to help us win football games, especially in the redzone and in the slotor on play action type screens. I just would rather see us use his skill and talent more than I would our opponents get to use someone like him against us.
I sure as hell like Pitts over Logan, who has done little.

But do you like Pitts over D. Smith, Chase or Waddle?.. for the Lions that is… I do not.

1 Like

I was responding to a Kyle Pitts thread, however since Air you questioned as to “do I like KP over D Smith, Waddle or Chase?”

yeah as a receiver which is what Pitts will be asked to do as a TE, catch the football. I like Pitts “AS much” as D Smith, Chase, or Waddle…about the same despite most of said players are WR’s and not a TE.
Tomato / Tomatoe ? I still like them on different kinds of food. they do the same thing, make my tummy full.
same as a WR and a TE both catch footballs…shrug

How many times was a team successful after drafting 2 tight ends in the top 10 in 4 drafts?

Not a question for anyone in particular just asking cause I don’t recall.

I can understand doing that for the Oline, I can understand doing that on the dline, the LBs? Sure! Safety? One hell of a safety duo! Cornerbacks? Why not? Get two studs back there! Hell I could even understand it at WR (to a certain extent).

I can’t understand why you’d invest two high draft picks on 2 tight ends.

Enough with the “he’s a WR” stuff, he’s a big and fast tight end, can he do some things that WRs can? Sure, but is he Calvin? No. Is he Julio? No.

Could he be George Kittle or Darren Waller? Maybe!! But we already have Hockenson on the squad who could be one of those guys as well.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I would be just fine with literally ANYBODY other than Kyle Pitts, regardless of talent.

Very few teams have ever taken a TE in the top 10. We are one of a handful that have done it. We might be the only team that has done it twice, and we would definitely be the only team to have done it 3 times.

6’5 240 pound Elite TE Kyle Pitts…nice ring to it…

Not necessarily. It is VERY possible that Pitts will be the first pass catcher taken. It is VERY possible that the team that takes him plays him WAY more as a traditional WR. Would HE then be viewed as “the best WR in the draft?” It’s all about what you want as far as traits. Waddle is different from Chase who is different from Smith, who is different from Pitts. Is Waddle a “closer” comparison to Calvin than Pitts is?? No. Not saying either are CJ but if you want a guy who will be able to gorilla guys down the field, that is Pitts not Waddle.

Some team may take Waddle over Smith. I think Smith is the better WR period. But Waddle has a TRAIT that may make him more attractive to a team that would take a small burner over a big Power Forward type. I just think folks try to put player X in a certain box to make it appear to be bad choice to make. We all do it to an extent. The anti-Pitts crowd does it with him. Is what it is. I think he’ll be a better pass catching threat than Golladay who just got 18 per. Call him what you want.

2 Likes

If Pitts was a WR, he would still be behind chase as a prospect. Maybe even the other two WRs. He is a “freak” because he’s listed as a TE. Will he lineup more as a WR than TE? Probably. Most TE pass catchers do. But they don’t do that AND also have a TE with his hand in the dirt. When you have 1 TE on the field, you create a matchup problem for the defense. When you have 2, a CB defends the WR tight end. Defeating the purpose of the great Mis-match. He holds more value on the field as a single TE. Him and Hock together weakens then both imo. Even though I do have a small part of me that would love to see it.

He’s the 4th best WR in this draft imo

It’s not about putting Pitts in a box. You called him a WR. I 100% agree that he is a WR. But as a WR, people like myself can not possibly envision him as the best one available or the best one on the board when our pick comes up. And for some reason Pitts fans can not accept that. We can say we like Chase more than Smith or Toney more than Moore and any other combination. But God forbid someone says they like other WRs better than Pitts. Then they are just small minded people who can’t get passed the TE label…when they CLEARLY are accepting him a big WR.

I disagree with that. It comes down to flavor with these top 4 pass catchers as they are all different. Who is the better WR prospect? A Smith or J Waddle? See what I mean?? Pitts has the largest wingspan of any WR or TE in the past 20 years. When I saw that, along with 4.4, along with 6’6 and he DOES separate from CB’s and Safeties. If Chase was 6’6 with that 4.38, sure head and shoulders, but he’s not elite in height, or weight. A Smith weight/height. Waddle height/weight. At WR Pitts would have elite height, elite weight then his non-elite traits would be speed 4.44, route tree.

A Calvin really WAS a generational WR. Pitts isn’t that because he isn’t running a 4.35. But he will be doing a lot of what CJ and Golladay and Fitz and Moss have done in the NFL which is being able to go where the other guy cannot to pick the skin out da air and have the size to hold on as you are being hit.

2 Likes

Yup. Going up to get the ball is the one thing he will be superior at over the 3 WRs. The rest, nope

Yes. If your flavor is a guy who isn’t as good at playing WR, Pitts in your guy. :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah, this had been my whole thinking all along, we don’t want another TE but everyone wants to draft Pitts?!?!?
Seems very Lion-esque.

tenor-7

Of all the top prospects, I’m convinced Pitts is going to be a star, and he’s likely gone before the Lions ever pick. But, the fact that several posters are completely against him simply because his position says TE beside his name is extremely narrow minded thinking. Go and watch his full games, not the highlight reel, the entire games and you will see a serious playmaker and mismatch for almost all defenders who plays all over the field including out wide, in the slot and as a TE.

When you have a top 10 pick, you should be looking for high impact players, the same posters that say we should draft the best player available in one thread, then say no to Pitts because he’s listed as a tight end on their favorite mock draft site.

I look forward to coming back to this thread in a couple years when Pitts is tearing up the NFL. There is a reason several draft experts have him as high as #2 on their best player available rankings.

1 Like

You are still falling in this silly trap. Which ironically is being closed minded.

Haha I respect your opinion, and often agree with many of your posts wesley. Agree to disagree on this one and lets come back to this one in 12 months time to see who was right. :slight_smile:

Right about what? Him being a WR?

My prediction is that Pitts is going to be a star that plays all over the field, including WR, the slot and TE. The defenses will never know where he’s going to line up from play to play. If I’m wrong, I’ll be man enough to admit it.

So you are betting that he is going to move around? That’s your bold prediction?