Bears fire OC and others

If Poles is self aware (that seems debatable) he should recognize that last year’s trade down was by far his best move so far. If he can repeat that deal (and then some?) he should certainly think about doing so.

No kidding, and he might be able to get Maye or Marvin. Does NE make an offer? Probably.

I think as important as anything is synching up the next QB to either a new coach or a stable situation.

The idea of flipping regimes in year 2 of a rookie QB just seems like a bad idea and deja vu.

I expect them to add some talent via draft and FA into their OL. They started off 0-4, and 1-5 after their first 6 games. They were 6-5 after that with wins over us and the Vikings. They could use some help between the tackles where they have Wright and hit a home run with Braxton Jones in the 5th round. The Bears had like 16 more yards rushing in 2022 than 2023 but that was with Fields running for @500 fewer yards. They had 600 more yards passing so things are trending but that has to translate into a winning season. If they keep Fields they also will have a new OC, not sure that’s a good thing for him either but I would do it. Their D gave up 147 points in their last 8 games, under 19 per game average and that includes a game vs us where they gave up 31.

This is what you have to consider, is Fields worth more to start the season in a trade or is he worth more to a team later that is in the hunt but needs a QB because of injury later in the year? Let the rookie play plenty in preseason and see what you have. It simply doesn’t cost that much to hang on to Fields. The D is coming around, the O was playing better, some players here and there thru the draft and FA and this could be a dangerous team w/o a new QB.

1 Like

I’d trade back and then add a Michael Pratt type and just load the roster with talent.

1 Like

I wouldn’t wait on Pratt, they could get Jayden Daniels after a trade down and still have a serious haul. Daniels might be the best QB in this draft.

The problem with that approach is if he struggles as a rookie and you win 6 games in a tough division then you’re saddling the next coach with a rookie QB he may or may not love.

It doesn’t have to be Pratt. I’m just talking about raising the backup floor. Under my scenario you are punting on QB unless Fields takes off.

In my scenario he isn’t the starter.

Ok. But you still run the risk of 2nd year QB being hitched to a new coach. They just did that.

I honestly doubt that happens, right now they were trending up and damn look at all the help they can get from the draft and FA. They are a winning team next year and probably a wild card candidate. There are a shit load of coaches that could do more with a lot less than they’re going to have on their roster next year.

Who knows. Division is going to be murder next year.

2 Likes

The Bears aren’t winning the division with Fields at QB. Fields has produced 3 wins, 3 wins, 5 wins in his NFL career.

He wasn’t ready to be an NFL OC. So it was odd that they had him trying to develop a QB when he was trying to learn the game himself. He is in his 30’s and doesn’t have much of an NFL background. He spent time in low level jobs in college and his only NFL experience was in the NFL with the Packers. In Green Bay the HC was the playcaller and Aaron Rodgers was the problem solver. So Getsy was just along for the ride. So to take that experience and decide it was good enough to develop a 1st round QB from scratch was laughable.

That also reminds me of Matt Canada in Pittsburgh. Decision makers have millions in their bank accounts and even more millions at their disposal to hire a proper OC. And they ended up with a college coach who had 1 year of NFL experience.

2 Likes

Swear to heaven you watch stuff like that, or Sherron Mooore just not run plays that are available all day or Ben calling these sideways delay draws in 3rd and 4…all year…

And You Wonder If These Guys Are Married To Their Brand Too Hard

Don’t love this honestly. He’s been picking us apart with a QB who can’t run.

The good news. You want to win SB championships that’s the offensive system you have to counter.

I like Caleb more than most on here, but if this ends up happening in Chicago I think I would be quite happy.

1 Like

Don’t love this, they probably hired him cause of what his Seahawks offenses did to us the past couple of seasons

2 Likes

Makes sense. He had ZERO job security at the moment in Seattle.

2 Likes

This deserves it’s own thread.