Bears sign Kevin Byard

And if that was his thought process - odd though it may be - there’s A LOT of safeties who were cut and wouldn’t count against the comp pick formula. Most of them better players and probably signable for much cheaper than what they gave Byard.

2 Likes

It just struck me as strange for a team going nowhere to give up so much for a guy that you’ll immediately have to pay. I get it, he was probably a touch desperate, but it’s not exactly the best tactic for long-term team building. By the time all these draft picks are really ready to make a leap, he’ll be 30 and at the end of his deal.

So what are you paying him for? Helping you win so you can have worse picks? Seems far more likely he’s paying him to death grip his job in the interim so he can see it through on the other side. And fair enough. As Solak says, job #1 of a GM is to make sure they keep their job.

31 years old at the start of the 2024 season.

Oh and I forgot to mention this but not letting Caleb start with a new regime, preferably a QB centric one, may come back to bite him. And I get it. On merits Eberflus deserved to be back.

BUT now you get a rookie QB in year 1 with pretty damn high expectations. They win 6-7 games and Flus is probably out. So then does Poles get to pick the second coach. If he does then now he in all likelihood has Caleb in a second system in two years. And you start repeating the Bears cycle of young QB mismanagement.

1 Like

Bears are going to sign to tier RB in FA. I think they throw a bag at Barkley to help with soy boy Caleb