Bears sign Kevin Byard

Bears really upgrading there DB

Solid signing, hopefully they overpaid.

1 Like

Way too much, and all the Eagles & Titans fans say he’s cooked. As a division opponent of the Bears, I love this signing.

3 Likes

That’s a solid value. Thats about right for a starting safety on the wrong side of 30.

1 Like

Cool bears are going to spend

PFF disagrees a bit but from what im hearing from Titans and Eagles fans are:

hes not All-Pro anymore, but hes still solid

hes an upgrade over eddie jackson who is much more washed

question is guarantees as always

What am I not understanding? Team can agree to terms with players before the start of tampering period?
If this can happen, why have tampering period lol

He was released so he’s free to sign at any time. Only players that have expiring contracts have to wait until the new league year.

2 Likes

I personally think it’s a terrible deal - especially considering how many safeties are out there who also wouldn’t count against the cap - but whatever. There’s a reason imo Philly didn’t even consider bringing him back, and why Tennessee gave him away so cheap. He used to be an excellent player, but he’s to me he’s simply living off his reputation now. Frankly I think he might need to be moved to LB

yeah… he played over 1100 snaps and had only 3 passes defensed and 1 INT in 2023.

He isn’t the same dude that he used to be….

2 Likes

He’s definitely on the backside of his career. You’d think with the reset Chicago is going through they’d go young at safety. A very weird fit. But… they got money to spend, so, I’d rather them spend it on dudes like him instead of Danielle Hunter, etc.

1 Like

Maybe he is their Michael brockers. Sign a savvy vet and bring in a draft pick and udfa stud to learn and compete

1 Like

Thank you for that explanation

1 Like

The weirdest part is they discarded Eddie Jackson to take on another team’s Eddie Jackson.

Can’t speak for Titans fans but Eagles fan that I’ve talked to think he’s washed up. Although they think their own mothers are washed up so … :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Do they sign Byard if they’re taking Caleb?

I mean… they’re probably correct… :smirk:

1 Like

A lot of Poles’ moves leave me scratching my head. The LBs and OGs last offseason, the Sweat trade (which worked out but seemed desperate), this… it just doesn’t feel like there’s much of a plan. He’s lucky they lucked into so many picks.

It’s like he is trying to play the comp pick formula… since Byard was released….

but the Bears only have about 3-4 UFAs that might sign for deals that qualify… and they have cash to sign players… so that wouldn’t be a great plan.

The Sweat trade will IMO revert to the mean. IMO he’s still the 9.5-11.5 sack guy with high end run defense. It’s very useful but when you’re talking about Christian Wilkins or Hunter AND Xavier Legette or Kingsley or whoever it’s still really hard for me to rally behind it and say it’s great deal.

The Carolina deal worked out great. To some extent bc DJ Moore took his game up a notch but mostly just bc Carolina blew chunks. Although one could argue just taking Stroud was the right move.

The Claypool deal was as bad as they come. Selling off Smith to then go get Edwards was weird. T.J. Edwards was a good signing and his DB and trenches scouting has been pretty good.

He’s not as bad as I thought but he’s really needed that Carolina trade to keep the ship righted IMO. Congrats to him on that. And I do think he’s got a bit of an eye for talent. Just not quite sold on him having a concise, focused plan.

2 Likes