Beauty of playing on Monday night, the entire nation saw it

Mine, too! It’s way past time!
I hate to stop hanging out with you guys, but, we’re kind of running out of things to talk about.

1 Like

I’ll always be around, I just won’t be watching.

Hell, I keep up with plenty of other stuff I used to be passionate about the same way. :man_shrugging:

Anyway, someone has to keep you misfits in line. :wink:

1 Like

I hate pushing conspiracy theories, but it seems strange that the rise in officiating errors has increased so dramatically with legalized gambling. You mentioned the NBA, and they actually had a ref get caught betting on games and shaving points.

BTW the man that threw both hands to the face flags was umpire Jeff Lake.

A better one is " Life is like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have, the less shit you have to eat. "

1 Like

If you have plenty of bread, can’t you eat the poor? :wink:

The Packers were anywhere from 3 to 4.5 point favorites. It didn’t affect the outcome of the betting line at all.

The calls didn’t affect the betting line at all. The Lions still covered.

### NFL
Mr Roger Goodell Commissioner
Email [email protected]
Telephone 212-450-2000
Switchboard 212-450-2000
Website https://www.nfl.com
Personal Twitter @NFLCommish
Social Media T

I don’t think that it has do do with gambling so much as what the league wants to see from the post season matchups.

Before the game I told a buddy of mine who was making his bets that with DAL shitting the bedd, watch out for spooky zebra action at a distance propping up Rogers and GB as the shining star of the NFC.

I really don’t think the NFL is heavily influenced by betting. Other than having natural biases for and against certain teams, players and coaches…I think if there’s an angle to this stuff its about ratings and the story lines that lead to better ratings. That’s where the NFL makes its money.

You are right the Lions covered …What about the millions of Dollars that was lost on the money line …Points & spreads is one way to bet but plenty bet money lines and the Lions were a decent pay out …The betting world was not given a fair outcome to the wager they laid the Lions opened up at +$220 thats $220 for every $100 bet …the line was hot and being eaten up …Lots of people lost money on the Lions yesterday and wrongly so

Thanks to their RB falling to the ground. Otherwise GB does. Unfortunately for the people betting GB the ref could not carry him into the End Zone

Oh, going back to the point OP was making about the entire nation seeing what happened. How has that helped in the past? Did it help when the entire nation watched the bad call vs the Cowboys in the playoffs, and people were bitching about it afterwards? That ended our 2014 season. We opened right back up with the damn batted ball game ON MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL against the Seahawks the following year. Again, people bitched but nothing prevented us from getting another shit call the following week ON SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL against the Broncos when an “inadvertent” whistle blows dead a play that should have been returned for a touchdown. And those two bad calls on national TV did absolutely nothing to stop the phantom facemask ON THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL later in that season. The following year ON MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL Dez Bryant grabs our defenders facemask and rides it for 10 yards and they don’t give a shit. That year in the playoffs, which is also nationally televised, we get the Seahawks receiver ripping the head off our defender and they won’t even acknowledge that it happened.

National attention on these mistakes does nothing. People are fired up, but the energy is quickly going to be turned towards their own respective teams and the Lions will be forgotten other than a footnote in history, and we will keep getting shit calls against good teams and in big moments. Its never going to change…ever. So yes, as much as noone really wants to admit it or have to do it…we have to win despite the refs.

Lol… there is a thing called point totals which is what most pros bet. The line was set at 45.5 points. Didn’t affect the betting line at all… LOL

1 Like

That last call could have affected it though. If the Packers go on and score a TD after that bullshit last hand to the face, they cover the spread, right?

Part of me is hoping that whichever Ford trust fund baby owns the team next moves it to St Louis or Oakland or to the goddamn moon. Then I could toss everything I own with the Lion money shot logo in the donation bin and be done with it.

2 Likes

But where is the “payoff” for the NFL if the Packers cover? That’s what I’m not computing. If the individual refs have money on the game, that’s a different thing entirely. But how does the league benefit from force feeding a situation where the Packers cover the spread?

For the NFL it isn’t about the betting spread.

It is about marquee teams playing in the playoffs for ratings

Browns vs Lions in the Super Bowl scores way lower than Packers vs Patriots in the ratings

That’s what I’m saying. Fans have groaned about the betting part for years, but I’m not really seeing where there’s a huge benefit to the league to throw games for betting purposes. Their money is made in the ratings. And even if they somehow benefited from the betting action…higher rated games get more money bet on them…so we’re still back to ratings being king.

1 Like

Somewhere back in the early days I picture a smoke filled room with the NFL owners and someone saying, " someone has to be the loser, How about you Willie? We’ll throw a little extra compensation in it for ya. You got all them cars anyway."
WCF says, “Sure, I’m all about the Benjanims”.

Wish he’d have asked for at least one SB every 50-60 years though.