Before we just gloss over the idea of Tua to the Lions at 3

Stanford this or last year? Nebraska as a Sophomore? Maybe USC this year. He doesn’t really have one. Especially against to competition.

Conversely, Burrow has had signature performances against Texas, Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Oklahoma this year alone. Clemson will be added to that list soon in all likelihood.

Idk, the colts took Quentin Nelson at 6 against what every expert on this board called stupid. Bennie Blades, one of the best lions of all time is a safety drafted at 3. You can get stud players at any position early in the draft.

Like TE…(runs)

Herbert is easy to fall in love with. He’s the total package. You see the throws he can make. He’s got a golden arm and has all of the intangibles. But there’s so many throws he doesn’t make and he’s a half a click slow when going through his progressions and he tends to sail a lot of throws or is off target. It’s enough to drive you crazy.

Could he develop and could the game slow down for him? Sure. But with QBs and their performance under pressure rarely changes. It’s a guys natural throwing motion that comes through when pressured and no amount of technique refinement can fix that. That’s where Herbert struggles.

I’ll give you $100 a year for every year Stafford remains playing over five.

You give me $100 a year for every season under nine Stafford plays going forward.

Deal?

1 Like

I agree , I think Burrow will go #1 as well . As far as Burrow throwing the ball downfield , I do not dispute that , never did .
Throwing down field and throwing passes to receivers running a vertical route has nothing to do with depth of the throw, vertical routes happen from the 5 yard line in the red zone , it’s the route they run off the stem .
It’s more about the passes he wont or cant make to me ….When Burrows throws a deep out to the far hash it will be his first .

Taking tua is like same ego mistakes to console fans , example. Lang , ansah and McDaniels . Take the QB Herbert

Burrow has a stronger arm then Drew Brees ever did. I think his arm strength is better than quite a few successful NFL quarterbacks.

In my opinion Burrow has around average arm strength when it comes to NFL starters. Maybe it’s a tick below. I think his accuracy is right at the top however. That along with his preparation and mind for the game should allow that package of arm talent to play up IMO.

He is just not my type of QB ….If he had shown this last year & delivered the way he did this year I would be less skeptical of Burrows . I would be more comfortable if this was his first shot and he killed it like he did and was a one year wonder, but the tape from 2018 can’t be dismissed and who he is as a QB is probably somewhere in the middle of both years . That to me is not a #1 pick in the draft at QB . The answer to this debate is years from being determined so I guess we will see .

78% completions, 5,200 yards, 55 TDs, 6 INTs. Against the very toughest competition and biggest games any first-round QB could ever cite.

Who’s “your type of QB?”

2 Likes

What about 2018 ?
57% completions, 2,894 yards, 16 TDs, 5 INTs. Against the very toughest competition and in the biggest games .

How many times does this not translate to the NFL as far as one year wonders go ? He does not have an elite arm , not even close , it’s the #1 prerequisite for me . I could pull up a dozen throws Stafford has made that Burrows never could .

Ty Detmer , Ken Dorsey, RGIII, Matt Leinart and these guys had multiple good years .

I’m not saying Burrows can’t or wont be a good one or great one ……I have questions that should not be asked about #1 overall draft picks at QB .

Please feel free to list the successful NFL QB’s that put up huge one year stats as one year wonders in College ….I can think of Cam & Warner

I have a better idea for you. Give me a savings account with 100k in it and I will put 10k in another one and give it to you a year later.

Having a good transition at the QB position is always a good idea, but using a #3 pick on a lesser QB to transition a better QB out while in his prime is lunacy. The team always needs to look for the next franchise QB, but Stafford is 31 and wants to play a long time. Use a top pick like that on an impact talent to help this QB win a SB.

Much bigger needs at more important positions. Now and for the next 3 or 4 years. Defense is the priority. More needs on defense. Period.

This team with Stafford healthy is better than their record. No way we pick #3 if Stafford is healthy all year. Adding elite talent to this team without much subtraction and a healthy Stafford puts us in the playoffs. That’s why I hated the Diggs trade. Gotta take the best player available and keep adding talent.

Matthew Stafford’s first season as a starter at Georgia:
13 games, 52.7% completions, 1,749 yards, 7 TD, 13 INT, 6.8 yards per attempt.

I think improvement is more important than where somebody starts out.

2 Likes

You fit three untruths into just that many words. Impressive!

Yeah… more important positions? Lol… you can’t be serious.

Agreed but irrelevant …… I’m not making my judgment of Burrows based on his college play and one great season. That’s my point . Without the great season and had it been just good or avg and you look at the player , the talent , the ingredients ……

Nothing screams at you , he is not a gifted athlete , not a specimen, doesn’t have a cannon, a lightning fast release , his mechanics are not flawless ……He’s a an accurate QB this year, with good vision this year, and good decision making.

Burrows rise is literally unprecedented ….from a nobody to possible 1st overall pick ……I’m not the type to bet on the outlier and would not if I had the #1 pick

How the hell can you call Joe’s rise unprecedented when Baker Mayfield was the #1 pick 20 months ago

Are you insane ? Burrows was not even a top 25 QB coming into this season by anyone , anywhere , in any publication ….now he is possible #1 overall UNPRECEDENTED
How can you remotely compare Mayfield to Burrows …….?
Mayfield was a first round prospect after his SO, JR and SR seasons ……Burrows in August of 2019 would have been lucky to be a 4th round pick in this coming draft …
He literally came out of nowhere . Please explain the point you are trying to make ?