Ben got a raise to stay

Shout out to Sheila. I hate the phrase brand new Lions but man

31 Likes

Many have been saying how it just seems different under Hamp, Holmes, and Campbell almost from day one. This just continues to confirm all the positivity.

20 Likes

This was the best FA move we’ll make this off-season and it didn’t cost anything against the cap.

15 Likes

Well done front office.
Pay Me GIF

19 Likes

They should include a signing bonus so Rod can ask for it back if Ben leaves.

4 Likes

Great to see. We gave him a big raise and then all of a sudden he’s not going to interview in Carolina. Well done Sheila! Would love to know what he will actually make next season!?

5 Likes

I prefer to not look that gift horse I’m the mouth!

I simply grateful this happened.

And it could have seriously been the other way folks…. Ben recommitted out of love and loyalty and then they were like “Dang dude! Thank you here is our appreciation for it”!! :crazy_face::heart::+1::pray::upside_down_face:

Happy it done and now get back to scheming shit you do so well! :laughing:

2 Likes

Great move by the front office. Some of us pounded the table for this, and they heard us. Lol

But seriously, I was shouted down on here when I said open the checkbook for Ben. I was informed by some high profile den members that Campbell and Deuce were just as responsible for the high ranking offense as Ben, and that losing him likely isn’t a big deal.

Well … glad he’s back

7 Likes

Just a great move. I’m glad he’s being rewarded, and I’m glad he’s staying!

Coaching is insanely important. Sometimes, team talent is so bad that the schemes are very limited/not effective. However, assuming average to above average talent, coaching makes an ENORMOUS difference. I didn’t see any reports this year about defenses knowing our plays in advance (cough… Matt Patricia… cough). We were top 5 in most metrics (off the top of my head, I may be slightly off), AND we had a ton of injuries in the first half-ish of the year to deal with. Let’s ride, baby!

6 Likes

Ahhh yes, the infamous Calvin clause. Lol

3 Likes

All that being said I am going to need to see Ben Johnson call plays without Goff before we consider giving him any more money. He’s gotta prove it wasn’t a fluke!

4 Likes

Russ, is that you!?

Bring back Tim Boyle, bench Goff and prove it Ben!!

2 Likes

Eddie Murphy GIF by Coming to America

May I ask why, personally I love it

1 Like

If being OC here is really his dream job, and he doesn’t like the spotlight, well, that is not bad compensation at all, assuming he’s making 7 figures. I’d stay at my dream job if I was making 7 figures! :crazy_face: also too, assuming all goes well which is no guarantee, he could have 5-10 years at that salary with more raises/bonuses.

Also regarding staying out of the spotlight, I would also accept less to not have to answer questions 5 days of the week

5 Likes

Interesting about wanting to stay out of the spotlight, he was invisible on hard knocks for example.

3 Likes

Yeah, he doesn’t seem like a guy who wants to be seen all the time. That comes with the territory of being a HC for any NFL team. So maybe he just likes being the brains behind the operations?

There is a big difference between making $5 mil a year vs $1 mil, but you manage your money well, have a guaranteed gig… not a bad deal either.

3 Likes

Just listening to the dungeon of doom podcast now, Justin Rogers said “Johnson wants his offense to understand the ‘why’ behind what they are doing.” Essentially Goff said whenever a play was called he always understood why it was being called.

Understanding the “why” behind anything is so important and makes for great communication in any field

7 Likes

Yes, much better than the dictator approach! Because I said so routine many old school coaches use.

3 Likes