Bengals tag Jessie Bates

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1500929413206134787?s=20&t=ilH8P4rYd_BVZFxEqHGZAA

Too bad! Thought that might happen though, they have tons of money.

So no chance at Master Bates?

3 Likes

That does somehow fit with jack

1 Like

looks like the tag has rubbed him the wrong way… :lotion_bottle::face_with_hand_over_mouth::smirk:

Also… I didn’t really give much thought to this before… but the Bengals drafted 3 safeties!!!
:thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 of them has played CB as well…. but…
Three safeties in 1 draft!

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/16/report-jessie-bates-has-no-plans-to-sign-franchise-tag-or-play-under-it/amp/

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

1 Like

Jessie, clearly hasn’t seen those sweet ass albino Tiger uni’s.

1 Like

Well he already has been going by Mister Bates. Close enough.

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

For the #Bengals and star S Jessie Bates: The team’s final offer guaranteed Bates only $4M more than what he would get if he eventually signs the franchise tag. Big difference is the tag locks Bates in for one year while the Bengals’ offer locked him in for 5 additional years.

Can’t blame Bates, the offer was an insult and a nonstarter.

Bengals have a solid young team, but they are so cheap, they are going to screw it up. Ford’s wouldn’t screw it up from a cash perspective, they’ve always thrown money at a problem, they’ve just been so incompetent to get to a situation that the Bengals are now in (a good young football team, with a solid base).

5 Likes

Once you tag someone you have committed to paying the guy near the top of the market.

I wonder why players don’t run to sign their tags. As soon as the player signs the contract is guaranteed. Otherwise the team can rescind the tag at any time.

Exception to the above for players who really should expect to be paid as the best in the league irrespective of franchise tag.

1 Like

There are several people that think Dax hill would be better at corner than safety at the next level. If I’m the bengals I’m trying him there first.

Some do, but most don’t because, like Bates, they are worth more than the tag. There is no way the Bengals even think about rescinding the tag on Bates. He’ll probably sign the week before the season begins.

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s also a veteran move to skip training camp. I know if I was going into year 10 or 11 I wouldn’t want to go to camp. Especially if I’m a defensive lineman or a player that’s been in the system for years.

2 Likes

This is definitely a factor.

Jessie is a safety,
Yeah, he’s been a good safety for sometime,
but lately somethings changed since the tag deadline,
Jessie doesn’t have a contract and he’s done with nickel and dime,

You know he’s watching the trade wiiiire,
He’s gonna get traded I just know it,
Yeah, and he’s talking to his agent late at night,

You know I wish I had…

Jessie Bates (da na na na Na na)

Where can I find a safety like that?

2 Likes

bravo

importantly noted that Rick Springfield’s Jessie and Cincinnati’s Jessie both have the feminine spelling.

1 Like