Bills extend Ed Oliver

Well… After Alim crushes it this year… his agent will be happy to use this deal as part of convo……

1 Like

Imagine, if you will, Oliver here instead of Hock. Another swell move by Quintricia.

8 Likes

I was all about drafting Oliver that year too. Quinn and his baseball bat! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

I also wanted Oliver once the Jags took Josh Allen, but the Bills are overpaying here IMO. He’s a good, but not great player.

5 Likes

I feel the same way, couldn’t believe the number he got. It just goes to show the value of DT. Even if he’s just OK, it’s better to pay him than not. Same as OT. The supply is exceedingly limited.

1 Like

Looking at Oliver’s contract raised a general question for me. Shouldn’t we report a player’s guaranteed money 1st? That’s what tells you how much they value a player. i.e.

$45M guaranteed, up to $68M is a better deal than $30M up to $75M in reality.

2 Likes

I wanted Burns. I liked Oliver as a prospect but I had concerns about his size and fit. I still have concerns about his size and fit.

1 Like

It depends on how its structured. “Only look at the guarantees” is an oversimplification.

What She Said Reaction GIF by CBS

1 Like

Any of burns, Simmons or Lawrence would look pretty darn good right now.

The Office Thats GIF

2 Likes

Reading the profootballrumors.com report of the signing they didn’t exactly praise his talent level, iirc, called him avg more than anything else.

He’s above average/good when he can pin his ears back and rush like he did against us. But he’s a liability when he’s asked to defend the run like in their playoff loss to Cincy. Basically he’s a specialty player, and I personally wouldn’t be in the habit of paying specialty players. He’s what everyone was worried Kancey would be, and he still got paid.

1 Like

Exactly! I do not think he is worth HALF of what he got. And i wanted to draft him too… he SUCKS against the run… and is only good as a pass rusher when going against backups (see thanksgiving). Fuckin A that was a really bad deal for the Bills… makes me question their strategies a bit really. I know they dont have better options… and want to keep their D strong… but he is a weak link and they still paid him. Total wtf move

A lot of money for a dude that got his ass kicked in the playoffs.

And which guarantee are you going to report, fully guaranteed, practically guaranteed, injury guaranteed?

Without looking at the specifics, in Oliver’s case, $17M per year is probably more accurate than $45M guaranteed. My guess is that the $45M guaranteed includes his $10.8M 5th year option plus $34M over the first two years of his extension.

So in Oliver’s case, he’d be getting $10.8M on fifth year option, plus $34M guaranteed over the first two years of contract plus another $34M over the final two years of extension. $68M/4yrs or $17M per year is accurate.

3 Likes

We plan to stand Hutch up… keep Charles Harris, get Da Problem more snaps, and drafted an old school mlb in round 1….

We ran 3-4 looks far more often in the 2nd half of last year, and Hutch did his fair share of lobbying to achieve that….

Teams like Seattle, NYG, Baltimore, and Atlanta could all be sneaky good/better this year as power running teams.

• teams started migrating to the 4-2-5 looks to slow down the Chiefs, Bengals, Rams etc and their spread offense, fast paced attacks with 3-4 downfield weapons….

Then a large string of post Mahomes, Allen, Burrow- QB busts…. Massive 40-51M plus QB deals, and 20-30M WR deals definitely has GMs thinking….

Miami? The cautionary tale? Traded away big assets for T Hill, drafted Waddle with elite capital, paid C Wilson… and Mostert, Edmunds, and J Wilson before drafting Achane….

2 years later they are already looking at a 220-240M extension for Tua, and a 5 yr 100M plus deal for Waddle, and I’m not sure they win more than one playoff game before they are in cap hell?

• the reason I think the Miami and Chargers Area cautionary tales is because teams are seeing they can win just as many games with an OL and power run game, and OL is easy to draft well, and RBs and TEs can be acquired and kept much cheaper… as more teams decide to follow the cheaper and more efficient path on offense- then teams will need a defense designed to stop the smash mouth…
  1. The Lions know they effectively ran right at nickel defenses with great success- despite not having an elite RB

2. The Lions defense was exploited by Philly, SF, Seattle, Carolina, and even Chicago in game 1 last year (SF in 21’)…. When in a 3-4 package- they remove Jacobs for Houston or Harris - about 50 pounds heavier with same or better 10 yd burst.

3. Donald is a freak, and Chris Jones isn’t far behind…. Simmons is really good, and Hargrove is excellent but is getting up there in age…. Lawrence perfectly fits what Giants do…. Now guys are gonna get paid big that are 1-2 tiers below…. Why? With 4 DL and 2 LBs defenses still need 3-4 guys to generate pressure and the LBs have to drop and cover more than blitz- see F Warner….

4. Bottom line the SF D was the template, but too hard to achieve and even harder to reload in my opinion. Im hoping we intend to NT- Martin, DT- McNeill, and 5T Paschal with Comish, Buggs, and Covington or Levi on rotation…. No need for a 25M DT in the formation.

5. Hutch and Romeo rotating, and Houston and Harris rotating opposite is huge! Knowing Barnes or JOK could be a 5th edge….

Bills add another pass rusher. Floyd rejoining Von Miller who he won the super bowl with.

1 Like

I think that a partial guarantee is NOT actually a guarantee by definition. So, only the fully. Thanks for the rundown. I think players care about their definite money 1st.

1 Like

Its still a little more complicated than that.

Just look back at the Trey Flowers contract. His first 3 seasons were “virtually guaranteed” because it didn’t make any financial sense to cut him in the first 3 years of the deal. It was too big of a cap hit. And if we did cut him earlier, Flowers would have walked away with even more money per year than his huge contract. Guaranteeing the first 2 or even 3 years of his contract salary had no actual impact on the real guarantees in the contract. But that’s one trick teams and agents use to pump up the guaranteed dollars of a contract. They “guarantee” money that the player is going to get anyways.

The devil is in the details.

2 Likes