Birkett audio interview with Detroit Lions QB Hendon Hooker on injury recovery, navigating rookie year

3 Likes

90% back. Great. We got Teddy at the ready, this guy is close to getting real practice in. Growth.

2 Likes

We missed a real opportunity. We could have traded Teddy to a QB needy team instead of letting him walk next year if Hooker is that close.

2 Likes

Disagree completely.

1. We are a legit playoff contender right now. If Goff gets dinged for a couple of games we need a guy that can step in and win a game for us. Teddy is that guy.

2. Goff is spending time his time trying to win games, not teach a rookie. That is Teddy’s job this year. Get Hooker ready to be the #2 for next year.

9 Likes

Teddy’s like buying insurance. You hope you never have to use it, but glad it’s there if you need it.

4 Likes

I agree. We have Hooker and Blough and while that isn’t great it’s better than a lot of other teams.

Minnesota had the biggest QB need though and I doubt Holmes would’ve ever considered trading Teddy there as they’re our biggest infra divisional competition.

2 Likes

If the price was right, but it was always unlikely that the price would be right. A 6th rounder for Teddy like for Dobbs wouldn’t do it. We’d have to get a crazy return like an early 3rd, which would never happen. We’re not going far in the playoffs with Teddy. I don’t need to check the crystal ball for that prediction.

1 Like

Teddy sat out there for anyone to sign virtually the entire offseason. I doubt anyone was beating down our door to trade for him.

3 Likes

Plus it had been reported that Teddy was one of the players working with Jamo on professionalism.

Turning Jamo into a pro would be far more valuable than some day 3 pick.

Just because hooker could start practicing soon doesn’t mean he will be ready to be the backup. He’s never played a down… he missed training camp and preseason. You don’t trade your veteran backup for a pick when you don’t have an alternative.

2 Likes

My hope :pray::zap::pray:

Edit - making it clear I’m talking about next year. Buuuut, if he’s a personal mentor to Jamo, maybe we just stand pat

JAMO has missed both training camps and pre-seasons but that hasn’t stopped some on here calling him a bust. To some, training camp and pre-season games are not needed.

Yuuuup.

Playing QB is a whole other thing. It’s tough for veterans to come in an learn a system without the off-season. For a rookie coming off rehab…it’s just not going to happen.

And jamo did have the off-season this year. He missed some with injury… but he had otas, some of training camp and got preseason snaps. And sure maybe it’s early to label anyone… but he has played very poorly.

1 Like

Holding onto Bridgewater for the rest of this season is the right call.

He’s much better equipped to lead this team if Goff goes down.

Next year, Hooker is legit #2. Glad his recovery continues to go well.

Hooker was a lottery ticket in some ways.

Probably a serviceable backup at the very least.

But, if Goff is still the man over the next couple of years and Hendon is lights out in practice and preseason etc. and some real buzz starts to build for the kid, he could bring a nice haul in return in trade, to an AFC team hopefully.

1 Like

There’s where you’re wrong. Each position has their own difficulty in the way they’re played. With a WR, he may zig when he should zag, resulting in an int. But then the QB would get the blame. Many times the ball is thrown before the receiver turns.

A full off season is needed for all positions.

We already own there third in 2024 draft

True. There’s always 2025 if that trade was with Minnesota. No one would want to pay the price for Bridgewater because of the hole behind Goff. There is a steep price where Brad would pull the trigger. That was my point.