Birkett: Detroit Lions QB Jared Goff play-action reminiscent of Brady, Manning

https://sports.yahoo.com/detroit-lions-qb-jared-goff-100502797.html

3 Likes

That’s something we never had with Stafford. Big plus for Goff.

1 Like

I was waiting for this one to hit the board, so many good take aways in this article. The nuance of play-action goes so far beyond just Goff. I think I heard on the NFL Network that his QB rating off play action is 123.something.

From the article:
Big pass plays and Goff
He’s completing a career-high 69.8% of his passes and the Lions (4-1) lead the league with 23 pass plays of 20-plus yards, many off run fakes.

Goff said successful play-action passes require three parts: The offensive line firing off the snap to mimic a run play, the quarterback and running back optimizing their mesh point on the fake handoff, and the quarterback carrying out the entirety of the fake.

" ‘Show, snap, shrink’ is kind of the coaching point for it," he said. "But I think more than anything is making it look exactly like it does when you do hand it off, whatever that is, whether it’s ‘show, snap, shrink’ or a similar version of your mechanics

The OL has to sell it as much as the QB and RB do:
In huddles, offensive linemen occasionally remind themselves to “think of it as a run” before play-action passes. Center Frank Ragnow said he’s conscious of making the same line calls for play-action pass plays that he would for running plays. And having a detailed lead back like David Montgomery in the backfield helps.

2 Likes

And this from the article which I believe many of the Ram or Goff fans who have come to the Den have talked about this. Five snaps…

Goff, who played virtually his entire high school and college career out of the shotgun formation — he estimates he ran five plays total from under center during those years, all in goal line situations — said he had to learn to play under center with the Rams and get comfortable turning his back to defenses in play-action situations.

“(Defenses are) going to move around, they’re going to be in a different place when you probably turn your head around, so have an idea of what they’re going to be in pre-snap and what coverage they’re going to be in, and then when you turn your head around either confirming that or understanding that you’re wrong and finding out what it is very quickly,” Goff said. “That part of the processing of it was probably the main challenge early on in my career, and as I’ve gone on, I’ve got a better grasp of the game and it’s become a little bit more practical every day that’s something that I do to recognize the coverage.”

3 Likes

Final thought right after I posted the above.

When we discuss missing wide open players, ie he went elsewhere with the ball do we take into consideration that he has his back to the defense for a moment? This is before he even then looks at the route progression designed into the playaction play that was called.

So we see the still shots of JW wide open or Z wide open but those still shots don’t really tell the story in some cases if not many of them

3 Likes

This is something I was always irritated about with the Stafford offenses. He had a rocket arm but his half-assed play action motion would make me think ‘why bother’. it wasn’t fooling anyone

1 Like

Shots Fired GIF by Barstool Sports

Kind of looks like Stafford under Schwartz right?

2 Likes

I can’t agree with that. Stafford’s play action fakes are a marvel of grace and timing.
Funny pic/gif thread... | Page 2563 | AzBilliards Forums

2 Likes

Again, SO much goes into excellent QB play that we fans typically don’t appreciate. “Ball handling” [snicker] is a criminally underrated part of QB play, in general, and of JG’s game, in particular.

3 Likes

Hilarios gif. Reminds me of this one.

material fails GIF

This would seem to imply that a young QB can learn as his career progresses…. and he might even be able to improve over time.
:thinking::thinking::thinking:

seth meyers wtf GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

1 Like

Those 5 snaps must have been in highschool because I never saw them. Cal even ran victory formation out of shotgun, not that that was a common occurrence.

1 Like

Shh. That’ll get you flamed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.