Birkett: Lions GM Brad Holmes: CB 'not a need' after Cam Sutton release

I think Brad disagrees with you here

1 Like

I love how the PI thinks…My man!

1 Like

Being unorthodox is the most underrated strength in sport. Any head to heady contest for that matter.

1 Like

It’s why bad poker players beat good ones all the time (well, that and all the luck involved).

Either Brad or Dan did say they need to bring more competition to the safety group. I’d expect a signing before the draft.

Doubt. Major, major doubt. I know others here argue otherwise (and I respect that) but I’m really concerned about Holmes and the way he handles the CB position, especially after it was by far the biggest issue on defense last year.

1 Like

I think Lattimore makes a ton of sense after June 1st, I just have a hard time believing it happens.

I think the only legitimate move they make before the draft may be resigning Reynolds. I think they want to see how the draft plays out before signing anyone else. A lot of the veterans who missed the big payday and are still sitting out there are likely thinking the same thing. They don’t want to sign somewhere and then they draft a guy who takes their spot.

I think you are 100% misjudging how the team views Amik.

1 Like

That frightens me tbh. I can’t say that going into a win now season with oft injured Carlton Davis and 5’8" Amik Robertson as your surefire starters with double ACL tear Moseley as the backup and some practice squad guys fills me with much confidence.

2 Likes

I very well might be and I vehemently disagree with them if that’s the case.

I’m sure we will add more to the corps but unlikely to be really high-value additions imo (unless someone comes for cheap). But for me if Amik can start on that Raiders defense that was really, really excellent over the last half of the season (especially at KC), then he can start for us.

3 Likes

I hope you’re right my friend.

2 Likes

People who have never watched that young man play a snap are writing him off because he’s short.

2 Likes

Based on what?
What didn’t you not like from Amik when he played the scheme in LV that he will play here?

1 Like

Not writing him off, just saying I’m not comfortable with a short fairly unproven corner being handed a full time starters job with no one to push him with the Lions being a Carlton Davis injury (which happens frequently) away from Amik Robertson lining up against Justin Jefferson, Keenan Allen etc. and lord knows who on the other side.

And yes, his height is an issue for me. Just like I’d be concerned about a QB being 6’ or under or any EDGE rusher being really small etc.
I like the player from the snippets I’ve seen of him and love the attitude and energy he plays with but I’d be concerned if Holmes thinks that this CB room is good enough to compete with the big boys.

IMO, this all depends on if Moseley can be 100%. And if he can play 100%. There was a lot of hype that he could be a legit lockdown CB1. I know nothing of Davis, but he seems to be a legit starter with tons of confidence. That wasn’t a cheap trade so BH must think a lot of him. I know nothing of Amik. His size does worry me until i watch him play, I think he’s going to be inside/outside and Branch will be nickel/safety.

IMO, they still need to draft a CB high. 1-3 rounds.

I will never understand how Lamb got that 90 yard TD after Barnes was scared to sack Dak. And that lucky ball bounce off face catch (including other lucky plays) against the 49’ers. I remember the camera caught AG saying “WTF?”.

If these guys can stop that ish then I’m good.

Our roster is much better this year than it was last year. Our CB’s were

Sutton
Jacobs
Dorsey
Gilmore
Moseley - Injured
Branch - NB

And now they are:
Davis
Robertson
Gilmore
Moseley - Injured (will he be healthy at the start of season)
Branch - NB

We could go into the season and we are probably better than last year . . . but last year was really bad. Hopefully we will add a quality vet.

2 Likes

https://x.com/BaldyNFL/status/1773072415892947074?s=20

Thanks for doing this. I was going to before seeing that you did.
I think part of my outlook is shaded by the fact that Sutton was trash. Where’s the outrage over Jacobs being off the roster? He was a starter last year. Why no gnashing of teeth? Oh, because he sucked? Well, so did Sutton. Vildor would be adequate replacement for Sutton. Gilmore would. Not Stephon, rather Steven, the PS player already on our roster.

1 Like