Birkett: Lions GM Brad Holmes: CB 'not a need' after Cam Sutton release

https://sports.yahoo.com/detroit-lions-plan-replace-cam-101305553.html

2 Likes

I agree.
Wait till after the draft. See what you have then after june 1st see id there’s anyone floating around to upgrade.

1 Like

All I see here is the villain saying that’s Stephon Gilmore wants too much money right now

6 Likes

Or, we will have other opportunities after June 1 (Marshon Lattimore), when we have the cap credit for Sutton.

2 Likes

If you get enough pressure you don’t need great CBs.

1 Like

Or its already agreed and just waiting till June

1 Like

@DeadStroke what are the cap implications of trading for Marshon Lattimore? For us and for the Saints? Does it make sense in any way?

1 Like

Saints can’t trade Lattimore before June 1 or it would put them over the cap. They’d have to cut and/or trade multiple people to stay under the cap and trade Lattimore pre June 1 and that’s not happening. The Saints are such a disaster right now.

A trade post June 1 would leave save the Saints $4M on the 2024 cap and leave dead cap of $10.8M in 2025.

For the Lions we would acquire his contract which includes 2024 base salary of $1.21M and an option bonus of $13.79M. If the Lions exercised the option, they would spread that option bonus out over 5yrs ($2.758M per season). If they don’t exercise the option, Lattimore’s base salary reverts to $15M. The Lions would pay $15M to Lattimore no matter what, it’s just how they recognize it for cap purposes.

Lattimore also has base salaries of $16M (2024) and $16.5M (2025) with $2M roster bonuses due each year (2024 & 2025).

Right now a post June 1 definitely makes sense for the Saints and probably will make sense for the Lions.

4 Likes

Sorry Brad, but you are full of crap on this one. Sutton was either our on paper CB1 or CB2 and we do NOT have enough position versatile guys to fill outside CB with a non-liability. Go freaking get Gilmore and put those draft pick signings on ice until June 1st if you need to, but do not go in with the belief that Mosely will be ready, or that Robinson can play outside CB at a CB1/2 level. Or that a draft pick should start at one of the most important positions on your team. I know GM’s have to blow smoke, and I’m certain you are blowing smoke, rather than inhaling smoke with those comments…

Truth, but we have 1.5 guys that can do that AND stay healthy. So… yeah better go get that CB2 asap.

1 Like

Dan Campbell pretty much said the exact opposite yesterday.

They are definitely looking at corners but as usual Brad is looking for value. He aint gonna overpay…especially when we could go corner early in the draft potentially

1 Like

I think lattimore coming to detroit is a done deal. Just waiting till june 1st or 2nd to announce it.

1 Like

Excellent analysis. Thanks! The option bonus confused me a bit, but it looks like it could be possible.

1 Like

I took four years of GMnese in high school. What Brad is saying here is, “hot damn, we need more corners now!”

1 Like

Premier Andropov is in the best of health and will be addressing the happy proletariats on Pravda soon

1 Like

Fortunately our cornerbackatariat reforms remain on track despite Comrade Sutton Perestroiking his baby mama and Comrade Moseley being made out of glasnost

4 Likes

There’s no way Holmes believes that. Besides the fact that Campbell literally said the opposite yesterday, the reality is that their CB depth is currently a guy who is injured a lot, a 5’8" guy who is likely more a depth guy than a true starter and some practice squad guys. It’s absolutely a need with Sutton gone and I’d argue that safety is a need also.

1 Like

Two guys that get hurt a lot… hopefully you didnt forget Moseley

I didn’t but I think he’s effectively done as a viable NFL player, he’s more of a mentor like Brockers was IMO

You are entitled to your opinion, but unless he tears an acl for a third time i bet he gets a chance to earn some playing time, he just turned 28 after all