Blough & Boyle

I would like to like Tim Boyle, however the threw twice as many INT’s as he did TD’s. buuuut at least he can score and rack up 500 and a bump yards… however throwing 3TD’s and getting 6 INT’s makes me want to keep him “at arms length away.” to. plus he’s more handsome than Blough.

squirrel GIF
some new back up QB’s for The Lions STAT !

1 Like

Fox and Tom Kennedy both had more passing yards than Blough last year.

Who? Not being a smartass, but there wasn’t many good options this year who signed for cheap. You can say anybody would be better, but that is not the case. These guys knows the team and the system and that has a lot of value in and of itself.

I would have loved Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brissett, Bridgewater, Mariota, Dalton, or Tyrod Taylor, but they all signed deals for 5mil+ anuually (or retired).

Only deal I saw that I would have considered in our situation was Foles. Foles got a little more than 3mil AAV. I would’ve shelled out another million in cap space for Foles over Boyle.

Overall it was very slim pickings.

1 Like

I have more faith in this Boil.

I had one of these. Thanks for the PTSD.

3 Likes

Agree with your post….

and will also point out that Foles wanted to play for Indy because of his connection with Frank Reich. He wasn’t going anywhere else unless Indy didn’t want him.

Also… I am pretty pleased with the improvements made this past year to the roster… but does anyone really think this is a team that is going to win games with any back-up QB that was available???

This team will do well to win 8-9 games with Goff … they aren’t the type of team to win games against quality teams with a back-up QB.

Blough to me is the same as Chase Daniel. He doesn’t do anything particularly well but doesn’t do anything particularly bad either.

1 Like

Me too back when I was a teenager. That’s how I knew how to reference it…especially the ass variety.

1 Like

This. I don’t understand how this coaching staff can watch these guys struggle in practice as much as they do and say “we’re good”. I wish at least one of those guys could run. I’d be ok with one being a subpar passer if they were a running threat.

I tend to agree. Though there is something to be said for your back up quarterback coming in to play like your starter so that everyone on O knows what to expect, but I like to bring in a quarterback that’s completely different. For some reason NFL teams practice in anticipation of facing a particular quarterback and many seem to struggle if the back up QB enters with a different skill set. I’ve seen this happen enough to the Lions over the past for decades. In fairness though, the starter was probably already rocking us pretty good and just happened to get hurt.

1 Like

I agree. What would make it even worse, is if they keep both on the roster. There are several unemployed QB’s that I’d rather have as our #2 and we don’t need a #3 taking the 53rd best Lions job. Blough/Boyle is terrible. Both would be as you say, malpractice.

1 Like

State of the QB’s, per Brunell.
From his comments and demeanor, I’d say we’re pretty much screwed if Goff goes down.
“I’m not just saying it. He’s killing it”, when talking about Goff. No reason for him to go that far, unless he’s genuinely impressed.
Then, compare that to his comments on the backups. Not so bubbly.

I think Goff is about to serve notice that there’s a new Sheriff in the NFC North.

If Goff gets injured it’s on these guys. I think we could make the playoffs this year but we have no backup QBs worth a crap. We could have picked up Carson Strong as an UDFA.

Gagliano was actually a good back up

1 Like

Imagine being Ron Rivers. Has any NFL player had as cushy of a six year career as him? Being Barry sanders back up for five years he started zero games until Barry retired then he started six games. Less than 200 rushing attempts in six years.

Dude was paid to literally warm the bench

1 Like

Sounds like a crappy law firm

1 Like