Brad Holmes explains how the Lions set up their draft board

Sounds like it’s very different than the traditional board with players ranked in order vertically or by tiers.

1 Like

Most FOs use a horizontal board these days, it’s the best way to understand the true value of any individual draft. You grade them based on the same scale you’ve always used then line them up and see where they fall. So I don’t think we’re actually unique with this.

3 Likes

I like a good diagonal board myself

2 Likes

Tilted, bro.

Do not attempt to adjust your mock draft. We are controlling transmission.
Image of We will control the horizontal.

Image of We will control the vertical.

2 Likes

Unless I’m misunderstanding, it sounds exactly like how Belichek set up the board and explained it during the start of the draft on the McAfee show. Was actually a great 10-15 minute segment

2 Likes

This article specifically states BH spoke in only generalities….

An Outer Limits reference.

“When we go into the draft, we don’t really target one guy, especially when you’re drafting, you know, at whatever point. And need isn’t as big of a criteria as good football players.”

While appearing on ESPN’s NFL Live, former Patriots scout turned ESPN NFL Draft analyst Jim Nagy explained that New England has a much smaller draft board of potential draft selections than most teams. The reason being is that they simply target roles for prospects to fill.

“Going back to my time in New England, they have a really small draft board,” said Nagy. “I mean, it looks like a two-day old turkey. It’s picked over. They don’t have a lot of names up there. They draft for roles. There are specific roles on that board and once those are gone, what’s the point of drafting a player if you don’t think he’s going to help you that year?”

He added: “A couple of other teams I was with – much bigger boards. We’re talking 75 players maybe in New England in a typical year when other teams have over 300. It varies by team, but when you’re working with that small of a draft board you know who you want. You’re really focused on those player and once they’re gone, that’s when you start making those moves.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/Article/Ex-scout-Patriots-smaller-NFL-Draft-board-131133065/

The foregoing might explain the seemingly inexplicable selection of LB Jahlani Tavai by Quinn in 2019.

1 Like

Manu could be Holmes Tavai. Just saying we already have project Martin on the 53 now we have project Manu. We are project big guy in Detroit.

You know, with McNeil, Reader, and now Wingo, Martin almost seems like an after-thought. And his path to playing time seems even more limited by the fact that he’s not really a pass rusher and the Lions have guys like the Commish, Paschal, and Davenport who can slide inside on passing downs.

Manu strikes me as having a better path to eventual playing time given the Lions lack of depth at OT. With perennial project Matt Nelson gone, Colby Sorsdal, Dan Skipper, and Connor Galvin aren’t exactly names that would get anyone excited about the alternatives if something bad happens.

Come to think of it, Lions really haven’t had a decent third OT since Tyrell Crosby.

I agree Martin& Manu are 3rd round projects who could failure but Tavai was a early 2nd rd bust.

2 Likes