Brad Holmes. Good w/ the Draft. With Free Agency?

See the thing for me is, the window is always open. You want to limit us to the next couple of years? Why? I fully expect more than that.

I showed exactly why, because those other contracts coming up are NOT due yet, we can add before they are due.

No, this is tha fallacy of this entire debate.

Since when did adding a splash fagent equate to building a team?

Was Charles Woodson a splash player or was he the team? Deion Sanders? Reggie White, Manning? Brady? Suh? I can go on and on, adding a piece, an important piece, is not building tbrough Fagency, nevet has been and never will be

Sigh… and what if we find an awesome QB on a rookie contract in 3 years? The future can’t be predicted in the vacuum of right now.

LOL, and if we don’t? You can’t pretend to know the future, you plan accordingly, you absolutely do not throw away opportunities in the mean time

Signing a splash FA rarely helps.

Trades are also the big swings I am referring too.
Trades are actions that many are complaining that Holmes didn’t do at the deadline last season.
All of those teams except the Chiefs to Big Swings to get them to the Super Bowl.
The Rams with Big Trades for Stafford, Ramsey, etc. They originated the F them picks mantra.
The Eagles traded for A.J. Brown to get them to the Super Bowl.
The 49’ers traded up for Trey Lance, and traded for CMC, Randy Gregory, Chase Young and signed Hargrave.
These are all Big Swings that Holmes hasn’t shown he is willing to make.

Well I disagree vehemently. I also think “throwing away opportunities” is a very incendiary way to put it. We literally made the NFCCG 3 years into a rebuild. You can say “well I want more,” well I do too!!

And the best way to get there is by being smart with the way we add players to the roster.

1 Like

LOL, this is comical.

We can’t do anything at the trade deadline. Blah blah, we cant add fagents they dont work, blah blah

We havr to plan for the future, yet i did exactly that
Is Hutch’s deal due? Branch? LaPort? Cambell? Williams? Padchal?

Gee, one might think the best time to add s proven vet would be before all that comes due. You’d think, you know so the guy you sign can be cut or out of tbe contract allowing you retain said players, or one would think

During a yr theres a significant raise in the cap to top it off

Or to have added a piece like the majority were begging for when we were in a race for the no.1 OA seef

Look, we are never gonna agree on this so I’m bowing out. I have no problem adding an expensive player to the roster, and I agree that neither does Brad if he’s the right fit. I think he was after Sweat for instance.

I would like for you, for once, to admit that the reverse is also true. That you can add a guy and him not do shit for us. Like 99% of the FAs we added from 1999 - 2020. It’s not a magic pill cure for all that ails you, just like Chase Young wouldn’t have been for us this past season (despite how much you wanted him). In fact I contend he could have infected the locker room with his laziness, but I suspect you won’t care about that.

To me it is not a strategy to build a roster. It is a strategy to supplement a roster. Long-term deals for big money contracts? Leave that to your own free agents. Guys you already know fit.

Brian Burns has only 1 season with double digit sacks (11.5 in 2022)… and he just got $30 million AAV.

Why would Hunter’s agent want to settle for less than him?

1 Like

Seriously, this is a horrible argument. You either trust Holmes ability to add a stud fagent or don’t. I do, apparently you don’t i pointed out several fagents that helped put a team over the top and could add more, just like i can for trade deadline acquisitions or trades prior to a season.

This same argument was used with the Rams their toast for atleast several yrs, no picks cap room etc, oops they’re now a contender 2 yrs after winning it.

Of course the reverse can be true and is.

However im not scared to try and get better, especially at the most opportune time. I love what Holmes has done overwhelmingly. However you bet your ass when all that was left was Young. Id have gotten him for a late 3rd. You apparently forget he was drastically bettet than ANY DE we had outside Hutch, he started in SF on a great Dline, and low and behold the team that did sign him, sent us home with Young starting for them. No 15 in pressures in the league, 9.5 sacks. All day everyday would i have made that trade. Apparently he was such a malignant cancer all they did was beat us, and reach the SB and he was part of it.

There’s always excuses why we don’t do this or that. By god if you disagree with a couple things Holmes has done or dare question the frequently regurgitated talking points on here some have. Your a hater or don’t know what your talking about.

Age no. 1

Don’t paint me into this corner (I hate that it always comes to this). I dislike plenty of things he’s done, especially at the time that he did them (and often been proven wrong).

It’s just this isn’t one of the things I dislike. I think there are levels beyond “how good is he” that Brad considers when adding a guy to our roster, and I agree with that approach wholeheartedly.

That just means Hunter is getting a shorter deal.

I wasn’t painting you with that brush, i thought i was clear enough, not my intention.

We usually see close, the Young deal, yep, we 100% disagree, no changing my mind whatsoever. Clear obvious upgrade, and not the camcer he was made out to be.

Draft yep we disgreed on RB, i did however understand your perspetive.

Fagency and trades, apparently we vehemently disagree. I think it’s foolish to waste a golden opportunity for an unknown future, when the window is wide open. I showed why signing Hunter now makes a ton of sense cap wise. Adding him does not himder our future if we do it smartly.

You like the draft and think that’s long term success. I actually agree there, but disagree adding a crucial piece through fagency automatically mrans your sacrificing your future, wholeheartedly.

We knew Dline was a major issue 2 yrs ago. We knew it last yr, and know it is now. If we dont fix it this yr, or at least msk a genuine effort. Holmes stops earning the huge amount of trust he’s gotten. The questions of how can you possibly go 3 yrs in a rowand not fix it will be everywhere

In 3 drafts he’s drafted 2 DTs and 2 Edges in the 1st 2 rounds, and another DT in the 3rd (and of course that doesn’t include Houston). I bet we’ve put more into the position over that time frame than most other teams.

The problem is of those 5 guys, only 2 have hit (and again, not including Houston). Brad has been a great drafter, but right there goes to show you that EVEN if you hit at roughly a 50% rate at a position, it’s not enough (especially once Okwara blew out his achilles four games after we signed him to a big contract). You have to be almost perfect, and he’s been pretty close.

However my solution to that is NOT to take one more shot at a big FA signing - if it’s so difficult to be perfect, why would I only give myself one more shot? It’s better to take multiple shots at multiple FAs. I want to add FAs to fix our needs, but I want to do it like the Bucs did with Shaq Barrett, or the Eagles did with Redick. There are inexpensive ways to fix these problems without hurting your long-term roster construction.

And yeah, I expect Brad to find those. His hit rate on that type of signing isn’t great, but he’s also been pretty unlucky. I get that people don’t like him taking chances on guys with injury histories, but those have worked out at a much higher rate for other teams that they have for us. We can’t catch a break in that respect. But Brad’s sticking with it, because it’s a good way to find value.

Ok, I’m confused.
You are saying he is unlucky.
Another is saying he is lucky.

I’m kidding…

It’s simple sir, Hunter has a proven track record, ad would Donald, Jones, or Crosby. You know what your getting in Hunter. Those picks, are not proven and more often fail by a wide margin. You would go so far as to say Young, regarded as a generational talent as one of them.