Brad Holmes Pre-Draft Presser

2 Likes

Sounded like a “no” on Carter . . . his mood shifted quite a bit.

5 Likes
1 Like

I agree he didn’t say much, but he sure lost his excitement in the moment. He might be acting, but I don’t know . . .

1 Like

I didn’t really notice the shift in mood that you did. I think it was also near the beginning of actual questions, so maybe he was adjusting into the GM talk. I am sure it’s difficult to answer questions about specific players Pre-Draft.

1 Like

I agree with that - it is difficult. I have no strong views on Carter (other than the tape is outstanding). I hope it’s just GM speak (that is, I hope you are right).

2 Likes

Sounds like Bijan is definitely in play.

6 Likes

Yeah, I feel like a takeaway is that if they love Bijan, they’ll take him.

5 Likes

Also worth noting that he said that both Pascal AND Levi were in “good places” regarding injuries.

3 Likes

Brad “didn’t care” if Jameson played last year. He made the pick for this year. Regarding if any concern about Jameson not being at the first day of workouts, a very short, pointed “He was here yesterday.”

Seems like Brad might be over the media speculation about JaMo, lol.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this! I missed it live.

Seems like he didn’t like talking about a specific prospect. Much easier to speak about vague generalities when they bring up character concerns.

Brad started off the presser saying “now let’s have you ask questions I can’t answer” :joy:

2 Likes

That was his best line - I forgot about that : ) I think you and Davicus are right. I shouldn’t read too much into his cool demeanour at that point in in presser.

I didn’t sense that at all…Sounds like he still could be in play

2 Likes

I hope so : )

“Some positions you have a baseline requirement of length”

He has to be referring to Kancey there.

3 Likes
3 Likes

One of the more interesting stories to me is peeling apart Brad Holmes vs Les Snead.

Holmes was really only in charge of scouting for the Rams. They had a ton of good picks before he left along with a few injured elite talents (Terrell Williams) like Jamo and Levi.

Snead did all the crazy and terrible contracts along with trading 1st round beans for proven players. We have not seen Holmes do either of those.

In his defense, Snead was in win now mode and Holmes was being much more conservative by improving a depleted roster. It’s much easier to go from Bad(2) → Good(7) than it is from Good (7) → Great (10).

Now the roles have changed and the Lions appear to be in win now mode, whereas the Rams are in complete rebuild mode. How will we see each play their cards? Holmes has been more aggressive but nothing too crazy yet like Snead was known for.

One other note is that it seems to me Holmes is far superior at getting a fix for overpriced players than Snead is. Snead has basically jettisoned a ton of good players for practically nothing in return. This was also impacted by his terrible contracts where he has to give away players to take on their cap hits.

Holmes on the other hand has gotten some compensation for a few players coming up on contracts and he has renegotiated several others eliminating loss all together.

7 Likes

That’s what SHE said…… :laughing::laughing::laughing:

going around stick figure GIF

Am I right @BigNatty ???

2 Likes

Love this.

“She’s an excellent listener, she sees things all big picture and she has a lot of wise counsel,” he continued. “Obviously, you wouldn’t do anything to compromise our culture or the integrity or put her in a bad spot or the organization in a bad spot, but we definitely make sure all things are communicated with her, especially when it comes to that kind of stuff.”

The lions have certainly learned what they needed to about Carter. If it’s bad enough, they won’t take him.

Love that Sheila is part of the process. You don’t have to be a football expert to be helpful in human character and culture building. It doesn’t sound like she is a dictator like a Jerry Jones, but instead a helpful sounding board in building a winning mindset.

2 Likes