Breaking down Nick Mullens' game-ending INT, why didn't he throw to Brandon Powell

The assumption is, if complete, it’s a TD for Jefferson, but I don’t see if that way.

If Ifeatu doesn’t go for the INT, Jefferson is tackled immediately at the 2 yard line

Iffy is behind Jefferson and he would have been in better position to make a play if the ball was thrown further. I think Nick meant the throw to be on Jefferson’s left shoulder but it hung on him.

This article is wrong in defending Nick. There were 53 seconds left. That wide open WR was at the Lion’s 25. Say he catches it and makes it to the 15. 1st and ten, killed clock, ball at the 15. Three shots score a TD.

Nick was impatient and he wanted it all on that throw.

If Nick scores on that play the Lions likely have the over 40-45 seconds to come back.

1 Like

Yep. It was a desperation throw at a time that it wasn’t warranted. In fact, if Jefferson HAD scored, that’s giving Detroit way too much time.

5 Likes

I thought the same. And all we probably needed was a field goal with 40 seconds. With timeouts. Very doable.

3 Likes

I agree. But then again Mullens is a 4th string QB who was missing Hock and Addison. Throwing it up to Jefferson is usually a pretty good option.

Glad Iffy picked it. Thank God Cousins wasn’t playing

3 Likes

Kind of makes me wonder if we would have seen a real deep shot to Jamo in that scenario.

1 Like

I’ve said it before, but I think the constant pressure messed with Mullens… that combined with the God like catch JJ made earlier in the drive, if JJ was even a little open mullens wasn’t gonna wait around and get killed he was throwing it

1 Like

That is a really really bad take. I wonder if that guy takes money for what he writes?

1 Like

At that moment of the game I can’t blame him for going to JJ.

I can’t either. The guy was catching anything within 20 feet of him on that last drive.