Broncos release Brandon McManus

Got it wrong, knew that the 40 number was in there somewhere

That will come back a bite them in the ass.

And how do you know that’s there philosophy ?
Some thought there philosophy was not taking a RB high or a LBer. But that turned out to be bull shit. How about TE ? You saying there philosophy is to only want there kicker to be able to kick from 40 yrds is a hudge reach. I’m sure they want better just as they did RB and LBer.

1 Like

Suh
Mcmanus
Teddy Gloves
Witherspoon

The FA wish list is still growing !!

That’s certainly understandable. I just didn’t think a 3-4% difference would be significant enough to overlook the massive difference from 40+ between the two. One more miss in that range is the difference from Badgley dropping to 93%.

3 Likes

I like him.
But why did Denver let him go?

Well that should change some when you are good. It makes all the sense in the world when you suck/rebuilding. But those kicks are significantly more important to contenders than teams that are playing for nothing but pride.

The Chargers are a team that stand out as going for it vs kicking longer FGs or punting. And I’m gonna say I love to watch it, but I don’t think it’s the right strategy. They are constantly putting their defense in tough situations not picking up 4th downs between the 30s. We are good now…time to implement a slightly different strategy to winning games. We no longer have to do 95% right to stay in/win games. We could use a little more conservative approach.

McManus is much better than Badgley. And kicks from 45+ are significantly more important than short kicks. I’ll take the guy who’s slightly worse short but significantly better long. Missing long kicks and failing on 4th downs often result in points for your opponent.

1 Like

I RARELY agree with mouse lol but this doesn’t make sense to me. They like kicking inside 40 yards instead of going for touchdowns…but don’t like kicking long FGs because kicking long FGs is a missed opportunity to score TDs? If that were their philosophy, I think we would see them going for it more inside the 20 because they want 7 not 3. I think the more logical explanation for not kicking long FGs is due to them having a poor long distance kicker that they don’t trust.

3 Likes

I think it has more to do with field position on a missed long field goal vs going for it on a fourth down in that spot. Analytics of some sort are playing a large role here I imagain.

I agree that’s a factor. But I’m responding to QB90 on the philosophy stance that doesn’t make much sense for me.

I think if they had a proven long distance kicker they might be willing to kick more FGs inside 55 yards in the middle of games. Since the regime has been here they have had awful long distance kickers. Journeyman who have been cut by multiple teams for that very reason.

If QB90s team philosophy were true, I don’t think Patterson ever gets cut. Wasn’t he perfect inside 50 and never missed an extra point?

1 Like

That’s a dumb philosophy because there will be instances at the end of quarters and games when they will have to kick a 50+ yard FG when there is no option to punt or go for it. They can find guys that can be accurate from in close and kick long range, I don’t know why it has to be one or the other.

With that said, I think Badgley is too harshly criticized and Riley Patterson, for instance, too lauded as “the one that got away”.
Both were 2 for 3 from 50+ last year, Badgley was 9 for 11 from 40-49 while Patterson was 10 for 13. Patterson was 30 for 35 overall while Badgley was 24 for 28 so…why is Patterson so much better?

1 Like

He refused to make Let’s Ride Tic Toc videos

I don’t think anyone thinks much of Patterson as of now. The only reason he’s mentioned now is because of this “philosophy” of not caring much about distance kickers. Patterson lost the job preseason 2022 after making every single kick he attempted including extra points in 2021. He’s only being referenced in this thread because of that.

maybe not, these scenarios don’t happen as often as you think.

I know stuff. *THEIR :kissing_heart:

Sharing information that is considered philosophical values of a regime has its limits. Taking a rb and lb shocked pretty much everyone. So ya know what it must mean if they went AGAINST their value system? 1) They must really loved Gibbs and Campbell and 2) This draft sucked with only 14 first round grades…lions went and got who they wanted.

Ok…take it up with Holmes. The lions conducted a study over the last 15 years and there have been 12 fg’s made 52 yards and longer inside 2 minutes or to win the game for the team. The lions themselves have had 3 of those scenarios in 15 years. They prioritize accuracy from inside 40. Take the sure points inside 40…be aggressive 50-40 and punt and have the defense pin them back after a fox punt pins them inside the 10…

2 Likes

It’s not my team philosophy, it’s the philosophy of the team based on a study they did. It came to light at the combine when people were wondering if the lions were interested in a kicker. It was some of the scuttlebutt that came out of the combine.

2 Likes

I would be very pleased if we signed him. I know there’s a few teams out there with nobody at kicker currently. He wont be out of a job long.

1 Like

Studies in football in terms of “going for it” are silly imo. Doesn’t take anything into account that truly matters (personnel).

I hear you though and I’m not saying anything you are saying is wrong…just that I don’t agree that it makes a whole lot of sense. At any given time 28 nfl kickers are 90%+ inside 40 yards so the few percentage points +/- means very little imo. Accuracy beyond 40 yards is the most important thing from a kicker standpoint (again imo). Everyone can hit from 55+ now so kicking power has very little influence anymore, they all can do it.

Devaluing the kicker from a franchise standpoint because you like to go for it seems like foreshadowing to future heartbreak or two in that department.

Brett Maher is also a free agent.

Outside of 1 game when he had the shanks….
he has been really good.

he made 90% of his FGs over the past 2 years …
including 9 of 12 from 50+ yards…
and 10 of 11 from 40-49 yards…

1 Like

The one game that Dan was Manning-casting. :joy:

Maher was a pretty accomplished college punter as well. Not that it’s a huge deal but it’s a nice luxury should anything happen to Fox mid game.

2 Likes

the playoff game against Tampa???

He shanked 4 XPs….