Buccaneers, Antoine Winfield Jr. agree to four-year deal

Initial reports indicate that Winfield’s deal is worth $84.1 million with $45 million fully guaranteed, making Winfield the league’s highest-paid defensive back

This is what $84 Million looks like:

7 Likes

How about that hole the Lions oline opened for Gibbs.

6 Likes

Still had to make the right read and outrace Winfield to the endzone.

D’Andre Swift couldn’t have done that.

2 Likes

Swift was pretty good last year himself. Will be interesting to see how he does with Da Bears

Man, I’ve watched that a dozen times, and the timing is so interesting. It’s like the OL was blocking straight ahead for a moment, and then the guard and center start pushing toward the offensive left. Sewell occupied two guys for just long enough for Gibbs to get by.

I don’t watch OL play very closely often, so maybe this is run-of-the-mill stuff.

2 Likes

A safety as the highest-paid DB, interesting.

3 Likes

He gets injured every time he sees Honolulu blue, so it doesn’t impact us anyway

https://www.reddit.com/r/detroitlions/comments/134r8xc/lots_of_swift_talk_lately_this_was_the_play_i/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb3x&utm_name=mweb3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Check this one out against the Rams!!!

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly. As much as I love the player, this type of deal puts serious doubts in Branch being here long term. Not sure this team can afford to commit 20mil+ to a safety/nickelback.

Depends of how much of a playmaker he becomes. Kyle Hamilton basically plays the same spot, and he blew up in his second year and is probably worth that. Polamalu is thought of as more of a safety than NB, but he regularly lined up in the same spots as Branch. He was certainly in the box and covering the slot more than he was deep. And I think we can agree peak Polamalu would be worth that today.

Branch would have to be the elite of the elite to deserve it, but I actually have more confidence than I probably should have of him reaching those heights.

1 Like

Peabody would walk in the end zone behind that blocking

2 Likes

The AI summary is rather accurate.

Funny when I saw it I was thinking, “Damn Goff could have scored that”. You know, since he’s soooooooo immobile. /s

1 Like

I remember one of swifts big games last year… a hole the size of philly opened in front of him as he is recieving the hand off. If he takes the first step up field he might have a 60 yard td.

But he double studder steps before hitting the hole. This gives time for the LBs to react and close in. Swift is stopped for a gain of 2. Total failure.

Gibbs would have taken the same ball 60 yards to the house.

https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1790372988820296131

Antoine Winfield, Sr. is probably wishing he could’ve made that kind of money.

In 15 years, he didn’t earn that much:

Maybe he takes a cut for genetics rendered.

Seed money?