Buccaneers re-sign Baker

Baker Mayfield will not reach free agency. The Buccaneers’ efforts to retain their starting quarterback have produced a lucrative new pact. Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports the sides are finalizing a three-year, $100MM contract featuring $50MM guaranteed.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler adds this pact could reach a maximum value of $115MM. Even if that does not take place, this new deal marks a massive raise for the former No. 1 pick in his bid to cash in following his successful debut Bucs campaign and find stability in the process. After playing in Tampa on a one-year, $4MM deal last year, Mayfield has certainly accomplished that goal.

3 Likes

Always made sense for him to come back, Baker played well, if he continues, he’ll approach elite QB contract in 3yrs.

4 Likes

Does this payday strike anyone else as strange? I’ve never seen a journeyman player sign a backup level FA contract one year and parlay that into anything resembling $50M guaranteed 1 season later.

In other words, what is TB doing? Who was competing with them for Baker’s services to warrant such a raise? I get it is a byproduct of where the market is at for starting QB’s and Baker played his way into this money but some dots are still not connecting here.

My greater worry is our own QB’s payday. If one great year and 6 months younger than Jared get’s you $50M, Jared is worth how much more? Our advantage is that we plug Hooker in and recoup a 3rd as a comp pick if we choose not to extend him.

Baker earned it. I’d just say it like that. While it’s odd, I think he always had the ability. I actually wanted him at some point before I saw the light with Goff. The Bucs lucked themselves into a top 10 QB.

2 Likes

Geno Smith threw for LESS than 1500 yards…
TOTAL… in the 6 seasons that preceded 2022…

and then landed $40 million in guarantees…
with “practically” $50 million guaranteed because he was essentially guaranteed to be on the roster for 2 years with the structure of the deal.

2 Likes

I’d also add that he was a journeyman by chance. Weird shit went down in Cleveland, Carolina was a dumpster fire, and he was a rental in LA.

3 Likes

I’d take Baker Mayfield over Geno Smith every day and especially twice on Sunday.

1 Like

Geno, as @Phunnypharm mentioned. Love’s about to go from a paltry contract to a big one, though certainly he’s not a journeyman. Delhomme and Gannon got big contract upgrades after bouncing around for awhile. It happens.

2 Likes

The one-year 4M contract was the outlier. I think its a very fair contract. I don’t know if he’s top 10, but he is top 15,16 or something like that.

2 Likes

Eddie Murphy What GIF by Laff

1 Like

I really hope this also encourages the Lions to get shit done w/ Goff.

1 Like

We should tell him that another top 10 QB just signed for at most 38m per and we’re giving folks so we’ll round that up to 40m.

He would have made a lot of sense for the division rival Falcons.

Good for Baker…

But…Baker…

Halloween Costume GIF

1 Like

eddie murphy hercules GIF

Of course! Baker Mayfield had a great season for them and looks to have gotten his NFL legs.
Good for him! Nice to see him get his shit together.

I feel like Jim Schwartz everytime I set eyes on her.
God Bless Canada!