Burning Question: Can Lions Defense Trust Josh Paschal?

This is where i see things differently then most. I have alwsys seen Paschal as a good DE and IMO that is what the Lions want the majority of the time opposite of Hutch. I do not believe they are looking to pair Hutch with another pass rusher. I believe they just want someone they can rely on to not let the QB to escape. Now if the player has an opportunity to get the QB, then he will take it.

All of this makes me think that Pascal is the type of player the Lions want opposite of Hutch most of the time. Not another pass rusher as many teams are starting to trend towards.

Not say either is right or wrong, just saying the impressions i get from the Lions.

Did Iffy flash before he broke out?

I disagree, Davenport is exactly the type of player they want opposite of Hutch. Big, physical, sets the edge AND can crush the can with Hutch on the other side. Paschal canā€™t do the latter unfortunatelyā€¦ But heā€™s solid at everything else and trustworthy

1 Like

Itā€™s interesting listening to AG and hearing how heā€™s being influenced by the coaches that have been brought in. Heā€™s not coming out and saying that heā€™s been influenced, but you can hear him repeating things that players have earlier credited to their position coach like the new D-Line coach Williams.

The Lions can absolutely trust Paschalā€¦ to be Paschal. What they canā€™t (and wonā€™t) do is ask him to play like Davenport. In a multiple scheme, Davenport has the make-up to play multiple positions, which he did. Paschal has the make-up to play fewer positions in this defense. Heā€™s valued and trusted to play what he does, but heā€™s not going to perform at the same level filling multiple roles that Davenport did.

And will play the run reliably, which is the thing he must do before all else.

3 Likes

This is how I feel about Paschal right now. With Pascal playing into the 4th qtr in a preseason game tells me he either really needed the reps or is not performing as expected. I hope Iā€™m wrong and I havenā€™t given up on him yet, I was just hoping to see more from him at this point.

1 Like

For what itā€™s worth Pashcal played a pretty good game in the NFC championship. At least by my eyes.

4 Likes

Yep. Heā€™s the one who tipped the ball Rodrigo intercepted iirc

Which still begs the question of not gaining momentum from last year. I imagine Davenport was considered an upgrade, and as he should be. I did expect Paschal to step up when Davenport did miss a game before Arizona and from what I recall he didnā€™t do much with his opportunity then. I guess weā€™ll see going forward. Iā€™m rooting for him though because he does seem to have a nasty streak and seems to fit the mold of what the Lions look for.

Heā€™s been Iffy all along.

This game and the Dallas game will seal his fate this season. If he looks good I donā€™t think we even think about trading for anyone on the Edge.

If he doesnā€™t live up to what he can do and doesnā€™t have any impact. The Fans will call for Trades even harder.

Scout Steve Neal gave us Pascal and Bromart

1 Like

When I think of Paschal, I think of a pretty good player that canā€™t stay healthy. I donā€™t know if that is fair to Paschal because Iā€™m going by memory on his injury history. I think he is a starter level all around DE but he wonā€™t get you 12 sacks. We can roll with him, but can he stay healthy?

We need a rim-shot sound!

I like Paschal, I just donā€™t think he is a high level starter.
He played in 22 games plus last years playoffs in his first two seasons.
I just think he is too much of a tweener to be a high impact player.
Not big or stout enough to be a starting 3T/5T and not twitchy enough to be a pass rushing DE.
He will play for a long time and make a lot of money as a rotational player that can play all 3 positions.
Josh has an opportunity to prove me wrong this season.
He will never have a better chance.

2 Likes

Nailed it

1 Like