Burning Question: Can Lions Defense Trust Josh Paschal?

He’s gonna be this year’s Iffy.

11 Likes

That would be sweet. Iffy and Barnes were a pleasant surprise

If we can get Levi & Paschal to that we will be just fine.

I’m still high on Houston & Ukwu

3 Likes

He’s moving to safety? That is one large safety… :wink:

3 Likes

Paschal has just had so many little things go against him and they’ve stopped him from ever truly showing what he’s capable of. Not to the level of Levi obviously, but every time it looked like he might be finding a rhythm, he’d get a knock and miss time. I don’t think he’s injury-prone - they generally haven’t been bad injuries - they’ve just been really poorly times. I feel for the guy, given what he’s been through.

1 Like

Josh is ok , he just isn’t a pass rusher. He decent against the run. And will be fine setting the edge. He just isn’t gonna get much pass rush. The dude is slow and he really doesnt have many pass rush moves.

3 Likes

Early downs Paschal… 3rd downs…

Apollo 13 Space GIF

That’s what I’d do.

3 Likes

That’s what I was gonna say , we stuck with 2 one trick ponies but at least ones a run stopper and one a pass rusher

3 Likes

Yea we have beaten the Houston topic to death on the den… But he’s gotta be active this week with how thin we are on the edge…if he’s not active this week then why bother keeping him on 53 man roster. I think he plays and a fair bit this week. Maybe spear Geno in the knee early. :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s the thing though… he’s not slow according to his RAS. In fact his ten-yard split is ridiculous. Faster than Von Miller’s.

But I agree that he hasn’t really shown that level of athleticism in a game yet. I’m hoping it’s due to the nagging injuries and “not playing fast” because he’s still inexperienced and thinking too much. Because I’m pretty sure there’s a very good athlete in there. Much better than what we’ve seen at least.

6 Likes

No Way GIF

2 Likes

You ever see David Fulcher play? 6’3 240 safety.

Dayyyum

1 Like

He really hasn’t had time on the outside to develop. Now we have plenty of quality at DT, maybe he can get the snaps at DE to develop his muscle memory.
I’ve been a fan since he was at Kentucky. I about lost my mind when we got both Hutch and Paschal.
Time to show out!

4 Likes

I agree with Mouse.
Paschal has never been a good pass rusher.
He is a good athlete but it doesn’t translate to rushing the passer.
I coach players that are all very good athletes with similar measurables (6’3", 230lbs, very good speed and twitch) but they are not interchangeable.
One is a very good pass rusher but doesn’t function well in space. One is a great offensive player with the ball but is horrible on defense, and another is great in space but is easily moved in close contact.
The first plays DE, the second FB/TE, the third LB.
All can be coached and improve at the other position but may never be as good as the other player.
My DE had natural “Get-Off”, Great Hands, and natural killer instinct of a pass rusher. But in space he looks like a baby giraffe and is constantly getting “shook” by RB’s & receivers. He also can’t read holes or catch worth a damn.
The offensive player can’t tackle to save his life and the LB is a natural run & chase WLB that covers and tackles but is not great in close quarters.

My point is that Paschal may be a great athlete and he can practice and train to get better as a pass rusher but will probably never be a very good pass rusher.

1 Like

Seems like Josh has been around for years, I completely forgot he was drafted the same year as Hutch. Feel like we’ve been waiting for him since like 2020.

But, he has played the majority of the time he has been here, but, mostly at DT. Hence, the thought that he is primarily a run stuffer.

1 Like

I’m not seeing it, I don’t see the high end flashes from Paschal that Iffy displayed at times even before he broke out.
Doesn’t mean he can’t be a solid edge but I don’t see playmaker in him like Iffy is.

1 Like

I don’t think he’s that style of player. Paschal if he ever hits is probably a bit like J.T. Tuimoloau. That’s not the sexiest profile but it’s a useful one.

1 Like

I haven’t seen anything in a game with Josh SO FAR that showed me he’s going to flash. So far. Still time. But so far, he hasn’t been that impressive. Hoping this is the week.

Not going to disagree, but I sure hope he proves you wrong.

3 Likes