But but but we blew it by not drafting them

He’s definitely the weak link but he’s been average of late which is all you need for a great OL. Just don’t have any obvious holes.

Will McClay needs a GM job. He’s been taking names.

He’s the GM. He gets paid like one to let Jerry take the credit without having to do the press.

Probably. Sewell is the most dominant of the ten OL IMO.

If I’m drafting an OL from the two teams I probably go:

1:) Sewell
2:) Martin
3:) Tyler Smith (as a Guard. Don’t love him as much out at tackle)
4/5:) Ragnow/Smith both are reliably terrific when healthy

Its not like JAMO has lit the world on fire either though. I still have hope. Like Davis and Carter, he’s shown flashes.

Who knew the best pick there was 5th round CB Woolen!

3 Likes

Hey now Benito had a qb hit yesterday. They didn’t touch Dak :wink:

2 Likes

He has 2.5 sacks in 26 career games.

You must have dreamt all those sacks.

1 Like

Sorry. I meant that the 2.5 sacks through 7 games equates to a 6 sack per season pace.

1 Like

Roger that. Makes sense now. His 2.5 sacks ties Benito Jones for sacks the last 2 seasons.

Just thought i would post ESPN line stat:

Jordan Davis is number 1 fot DT in Run Stop Win Rate

Jalen Carter was number 1, and fell a few spots for DT in
Pass Rush Win Rate. Also, take in mind, Carter is a rookie and already is a top pass rushing DT like Donald.

LIONS:

Graham Glasgow ranks highly in Run Block Win Rate
Lions

Decker and Sewell rank in the top 20 for Pass Block Win Rate, although the GB and Chi games have not been exactly steller here.

Lions dont have a DL in the top 20 at DE or DT in Pass Rush Win Rate or Run Stop Win Rate. As much as TJ Watt gets held, he has no issue ranking highly in Pass Rush Win Rate. Some of this could be AG playing contain against mobile QBs, I suppose.

The Lions are 11th in Pass Block Win Rate and 21st in Run Blocking Win Rate.

The Lions defensive line is close to last in winning in run stopping or pass rushing. (Not sure a rookie will help this, either, but thats an opinion of mine)

As for Jameson Williams, well, MCDC just said they want to “find ways to get him.the ball more as he is improving”.

Not sure what to make of the comments about Jameson. Is it his route running or hands? What is it? I honestly thought he was turning a corner but, Ben has no issue dialing up plays for ARSB and Sam Laporta. And at a time when the offense lagging and needs energy (3rd qrt?)…Not really sure what to make of it at this point.

That is strange because we have a top 5 rushing defense.

1 Like

That describes most of the Lions team.

Everything with these stats is winning quickly (2.5 seconds or less).

This is why Parsons is number 1 in pass rushing. He is a blur off the edge.

Jalen Carter is so damn lazy. That guy could dominate every week if he wanted to. This was the predictable outcome though. He’ll be a really good player and you hope if you make it to the playoffs he decides to bring out his A game.

1 Like

I didnt watch him yesterday, but every stat says Carter is playing extremely well for even a veteran DT. He is already exceptional as a rookie. Now, i think there are three questions as to ask about him (based on pre-draft comments and reports). .

1. Will Carter keep this type of play up consistently? For years?

2. How will be play and respond if his team starts losing?

3. How will he play when he gets paid his 2nd contract?

Now, i wasnt really fully on-board draft Carter from the reports. He did fall all the way to the Eagles and was passed over by multiple teams prior tl that. It seems MCDC and Holmes did their homework. I thought if they interviewed him and drafted him, im fine with it. Well the Lions and multiple teams before and after the Lions passed on him. So…?

However, right now he is making lots of people eat crow.

1 Like

yeah again

thats the crux of the issue, hes physical specimen and beast, but hes mentally not the best tbh (Workout stuff, the entire Georgia Fiasco), which is what soured teams on him (He prolly would have arguably went ahead of will anderson if it wasnt for this issue.)

1 Like

We would have gotten more use out of Davis than we currently do with jamo (not his fault). I feel like the coaches are going to develop jamo into a superstar just in time for him to leave in free agency.

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

Loved it.!

sarcasm

1 Like

I think the primary issue with the last two draft classes is that they weren’t very good draft classes. And unfortunately they coincided with the Lions having a lot of draft capital.

2021 was a very good class - Sewell at #7 was really excellent value for a guy who looked like a difference maker coming out and has played that way since. He might well have been #1OA in the 2022 class. 2023 was a very top heavy class that unfortunately fell off a cliff after pick #5OA where we were picking especially considering Carter’s backstory. Typically 2024 looks like it will be a good class.

I still don’t like taking a running back and a linebacker in round 1 (like the players - the value not so much) and I think that at least some of the holes we still have (at corner, pass rush, offensive line depth for a good but creaky unit) could have been addressed. It would be great to have a fully fit Gonzalez for instance - not least because it would make corner less of a priority this coming year meaning we could concentrate elsewhere. In that respect, my concern isn’t so much on missing specific players as still having quite a lot of gaps to fill this coming year and not enough picks to fill them.

But we weren’t the only team to pass on Gonzalez (which we did twice), and I can see that there wasn’t really an obvious alternative that demanded selection.