Call me crazy

After reviewing all the available video and the pro days, I would take Slater over Sewell

20 month difference in age

1 Like

You’re Crazy!!!

3 Likes

I mean Slater is more athletic, faster, had equal blocking ratings, played this last year, had better technique, is stronger, presumably more versatile…

he is 27 lbs lighter than Sewell. They are both the same height at 6’4”…

His arm length is shorter, but Im not convinced that’s all that important

Your crazy … lol

Slater is more athletic and moves better but Sewell is more physical. I prefer physicality and part of the reason why Slater moves well is his size.

But Darrisaw is way under rated. It wouldn’t shock me if he’s drafted before Slater. And it wouldn’t shock me if Darrisaw ends up being the best out of 3. He might take a little while to adjust to the NFL coming out of Virginia Tech, because of the schemes they use, but he’s does a lot of things well.

1 Like

You might be right of course and I might be over thinking it. But after looking at all the data and blocking grades, it seems like Slater does almost everything better, technically. The advantages Sewell has is his size and youth. Slater is smaller but appears more stout. And lifting 33 reps was pretty impressive. This reminds me a little of when people said Donald wouldn’t make a great DT because he was undersized for the position

Consider If Donald and Fairley came out in the same draft people would probably have ranked Fairley higher

I won’t call you crazy because you make your case and it is easy to see your point. I just disagree. I fall into Air’s camp in liking the physicality.

Btw, I think all three discussed will be solid pros if they remain uninjured. I wouldn’t be upset with any of them depending on draft slot. Sewell at 7 wouldn’t upset me… would prefer him at 8 or 9. The other two would be fine in a deeper trade down depending on how the draft goes.

At first I wanted one of the big 3 WRs. I didn’t think Sewell would get by Cincy. Still don’t. But if he does, that is elite talent on the board IF Miami doesn’t jump all over him.

2 Likes

Agree. For the longest time Sewell to Bengals was just penciled in. But after Chases Pro Day and lobbying from Burrow, Im starting to think they will pick Chase. And all reports are that Miami is targeting Pitts.

It’s starting to seem more likely that Sewell is there if we want him. Atlanta at four is the question mark here

I think Sewell can play tackle, so this isn’t about whether he can. But Sewell, IMO, would be a Quenton Nelson type offensive guard.

1 Like

Uh, no he didn’t. He opted out too.

Higher floor = Slater
Higher ceiling = Sewell.
If you draft Sewell, you’re counting on him developing into something special, though he’s def. not there yet. Quinn would draft Slater (play it safe). Jury’s out on Brad/Dan (Bran).

Oops. the date on the game-footage video I watched fooled me. For the record, I never watched a NW game with Slater playing, I did watch some Ducks games living in Oregon but never really focused on Sewell

Pro Days:

Sewell
6-foot-4 7/8 inches
331 pounds
Arm Length: 33 1⁄4 inches
Hand Span: 10 3/8 inches
40 Time: 5.09 seconds
3-Cone: 7.7 seconds
Short Shuttle: 4.68 seconds
Ten yard Split:
Broad Jump: 9-foot-1 (average is 8-foot-6)
Vertical Jump: 28 inches
Bench Press: 30 reps

Slater
6-foot-4
304 pounds
Arm Length: 33 inches
Hand Span: 10.5 inches
40 Time: 4.88 seconds
3-Cone: 7.48 seconds
Short Shuttle:
10 Yard Split: 1.68
Broad Jump: 9-foot-4 (average is 8-foot-6)
Vertical Jump: 33 inches
Bench Press: 33 reps

All of the Sewell tape we’re watching is of a 19 year old kid. And he won the Outland trophy. His technique’s gonna improve AND he’s gonna get stronger. To me, this one’s a no-brainer. Slater’s an excellent prospect in his own right, but he’s not a generational talent like Sewell.

2 Likes

Hello crazy

1 Like

Is there a significant difference between 19 years old and 20? Between 33” and 33 and 1/4?

I just find it odd that some pundits are saying that due to Slaters 33” arms he will need to move inside but Sewell, with 33 1/4” will be a generational talent at LT

I’m sure Sewell can get stronger but Slater can’t? they are the basically same height. Also can Sewell get faster and more agile? That’s not something that generally happens. Also Slater has a slight edge athletically and their blocking grades are similar. In their last years Slater gave up five pressures in 787 snaps and Sewell gave up seven in 491 snaps

Id be very happy with the Sewell pick, but I’m just a bit perplexed at the narrative that he’s that much of a better pick. Or that Slater needs to move inside for whomever selects him

I don’t think Slater needs to move inside and I actually like him quite a bit (have him ranked 15th overall), but to me he’s just not the same level of prospect as Sewell.

When people critique Sewell’s game (and this is especially true compared to Slater), it’s almost always about his technique and how Slater’s is better. I agree. But I also know that Slater’s technique after his age 19 season was much rawer than it is now. There’s just a lot of development that happens along the OL, which is why experienced OLs tend to be much more dominant than young ones in college.

But what really separates them to me is that Sewell has the stuff you can’t teach. He was ragdolling guys at 18 and 19. His athleticism at that size is freaky, he regularly reaches the 2nd and 3rd level and just eliminates guys. He won the Outland Trophy as a 19 year old! That almost never happens. Slater feels “maxed out” as a prospect (he’s not, I know, but he’s much further along in his development), whereas Sewell has so much room to grow.

1 Like

I hear you man. But they are only a year apart. Sewell was 19 and Slater was 20. It’s impressive that Sewell was ragdolling peeps at 18 but isn’t it equally impressive that Slater was at 19? and with better technique and footwork too?

Well technically Slater’s a little more than a year and a half older, but I get what you mean. The last tape we saw of Sewell he was 18 then turned 19 in October, whereas Slater was 20.

That said, I don’t think Slater’s footwork at 19 was better than Sewell’s, and while his technique was probably a little better, that’s not enough to overtake Sewell as a prospect for me. Liam Eichenberg’s footwork AND technique is better than both and yet no one’s drafting him over either Slater or Sewell.

Basically I think their floor is very similar, while Sewell’s ceiling is much, much higher. Like Anthony Munoz level.