Can someone break down Travon Walker vs. Jermaine Johnson for the board?

Last night, it was the story “Lions want to trade for Hutchinson!” I think the Jaguars front office is just throwing out rumors to try and get someone to trade up.

1 Like

Cartel Kidnapping GIF by NETFLIX

1 Like

Short story: Both go after #2 and before #32.

As to “knowledgeable,” not so much. I’m just a dude with an opinion. But here is mine. Walker is not going to be the pass rush EDGE player that Johnson will be by a country mile. Walker’s comp to me is Trey Flowers. Can set the edge well as a 5t in a 3-4, can play SDE in a 4-3. Can reduce inside as a 3t. Twitchy explosive bendy 3-4 OLB or RDE he is not. Walker is a poor man’s Hutch. There are indeed nice traits with Walker Combine numbers aside. Once engaged he does a great job of shedding and redirecting for a tackle. I saw that on tape over and over again and that trait absolutely translates. He will be a nice player. He has heavy hands and has nice power to jolt OG’s inside. Looks like a high motor player. Again to me more comps to Trey Flowers who we all agreed needed to be run out on the first train steaming because his tweener edge setter/reduce to 3t on passing down utility was not worthy of high resources. So why would we expend such high draft resources on a guy like that who will do similar things?

What he’ll never be good at is getting off the snap quickly. I was reading an eval on him after I had sort of given mine in another thread, and they saw exactly what I did as a negative. He is below avg. at that. At the NFL level being late off the snap and letting technician olineman get their hands set on you is a killer. I know all his explosion numbers at the combine were great and all. But I see what I see on the football field and that 10 time is not translating to when that center moves the football. That is just something that really bothers me when I evaluate any position really. So it may weigh heavier with me than the scouts. He can make up for it with his ability to shed and redirect to blow up plays. Again, not taking that away from him. But at 2 I’m going Hutch or KT.

I’d love Hutch’s neck up and KT’s everything else, but that isn’t the option and it looks like Jags are going Hutch. KT is the more explosive EDGE player compared to Walker full stop and you aren’t giving up much against the run because KT is good at that too. This is the perfect case of the combine being weighted too heavily on a play. The tape told the tale. He’s a top 15 type player that isn’t a full time 3t and isn’t going to be a 10 sack RDE/3-4OLB. He’s… versatile. Matt Patricia special. If they really don’t like KT for whatever reason, then yes J.Johnson is in play. I’d love a TD as I think he’s a sleeper as a top 5 pick, but rush EDGE is a value play on a 5 year deal, so even at 2 over say Hamilton would not be a surprise. But don’t over think it. Put the card in for Kayvon, get him integrated into our culture and let him hunt.

8 Likes

Marvelous stuff. To me, you’re a knowledgeable dude with an opinion, which is an upgrade over me.

Holmbell and Friends aren’t going to endanger their culture, especially with a #2 pick, so if they take KT, my qualms are unfounded.

But I do have qualms and without seeing JJ’s pro day numbers for confirmation, I’d take JJ over KT or Walker. I’ve been biased toward Hutch because of familiarity, but at this point, if the Lions pick either him or JJ at #2, I’ll sleep well on April 28.

2 Likes

I honestly think big strong tackles will maul the shit out of Hutch. He’s going to be a massive disappointment.

I could see him having single digit sacks after two seasons.

My bold take is Hutch will have less sacks than Chase Young in two seasons.

Thanks for your input as well. WAY more knowledge than I have about these guys!

1 Like

Really enjoyed reading this. Appreciate your draft takes man.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/i/status/1469401706287013892

That tackle blows. That’s the worst OSU squad I’ve seen in years.

Got any clips from that GA game? :flushed::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I feel bad for any squad that drafts either of these future busts.

Single digit sacks after two seasons. You heard it here first.

That’s almost as classic as the Clowney video from S.C. vs UM

Clowney’s was way better. I bet Hutch has a much worse career than even Clowney.

I don’t hate him, I just see him as somehow even more overrated than Chase Young.

So bank on him being Lawrence Taylor…

2 Likes

LOL… I hear ya… tough to project these kind of dudes… but I think he has a REALLY high floor (way higher than Flowers IMO)… and a potential ceiling that could put him in the elite category.

Talent wise, it was, because we got royally screwed in 2019 recruiting with the coaching change, but NPF is no scrub. That game showed me that Hutch is in fact legit.

1 Like

I’m a JJ fan. I take him over Walker. But I just watched two game tapes back to back KT, then JJ and guys… KT is just better. Times the snap a little better but is way more slippery once in contact. KT looks more smooth and plays with better leverage. He just seems quicker at everything. I see a lot of Josh Allen. Even Ziggy but a better athlete. There were a few plays where he rolled into coverage and he was really fluid. I hadn’t really seen much of that, but on the games I saw it happened a few times and I took note of it.

I think this dude has played a poor hand this offseason by not just working out. But I’ll let some long talks with Sewell tell the day to day deal on the guy. If he’s not a disruptive guy in the locker room, man I think he’s the best pass rusher in the draft and I think we’ll be very pleased with what we get from him if that’s the way it goes. If Jax goes Hutch, don’t get cute. Don’t fall in love with what men do in shorts or draft the poor man’s Kayvon talent wise to get the notch up maybe on motor. Draft the most dangerous player you can and that is Kayvon. He can get there in a blink and arrives with force.

10 Likes

I hear you. I just don’t like him as a prospect. Hutch beating him told me more about him than Hutch.

Dudes like Bakh and Decker will crush Hutch in the NFL.

I just assume that any OSU squad that doesn’t hang 60 on Michigan is a bad squad (OSU-wise).

Michigan isn’t even in the same stratosphere as them.

Yeah I agree 100%. On talent + tape it shouldn’t even be a discussion, Thibs is clearly the best player. Thankfully I get the feeling that Brad likes him. It was reported way back in January that we’d take him over Hutch and while I’m not sure about that, I do believe the rumors in January are like 97% more believable than the rumors now.

Same.

Even if Jax doesn’t take Hutch, I think KT has been their guy for months. Might even get a “woohoo” moment on tape again when Jax goes OT or Hutch.

2 Likes