Can someone break down Travon Walker vs. Jermaine Johnson for the board?

Check this out by Tim Twentyman

It’s all fun and games until April 28, but at the moment, I say JJ is dy-no-mite!! And my pick at #2. I promise not to freak with any of the other 3 likely suspects at Edge. No promises with a QB.
good times vh1 GIF

I totally get this take, and it worries me too. But the thing I have to keep reminding myself is that, if teams drafting after us want to see KT fall, and can’t find any serious holes in his game, this kind of dig against his character is EXACTLY what they’d be pumping up to try to scare teams away. I mean, didn’t some teams basically admit to doing that with Micah Parsons last year? I may be over sensitive about this possibility, but it’s because I totally fell for it with Parsons last year.

1 Like

I know teams can pull lots of misdirection and trickery this time of year but some of what worries me most are things that he himself have said. The motor issues are neither here nor there but when he is so focused on his image and brand before he has played a single down in the NFL just makes me worry about his ability to focus on his job and if he’ll ever be capable of being a team first type of player

Yup, I agree, I’ve probably read the same quotes as you have, which also concern me. And I’m glad I’m not the one who hast to make that call. Happy to let our front office and coach figure out what’s bullshit and what’s a legitimate concern.

I guess I just refuse to take him off my board as a fan (lol) because of this stuff. Even the quotes I’ve read that make him sound like a self-obsessed jerk, I have to keep reminding myself, there are teams out there that have a vested interest in making people interpret those quotes in the worst possible light.

For example, the quote where KT said no coach was going to tell him anything he doesn’t know. Yes, it can totally come off like this kid thinks he knows everything and he’s going to be uncoachable. But it’s also entirely possible, and I think what he actually meant, that he was saying he’s his own biggest critic and studies his own film closely after every game to identify his mistakes. Which is a good thing!

So is he an uncoachable jerk? Or a serious student of the game who didn’t express himself perfectly, and then other teams and their buddies in the press were happy to jump all over it? I honestly don’t know, but I’m not willing to assume option A is the truth, when I know option B happens every year.

1 Like

The thing is, we can debate his psychology all we want, but without access to him it’s just my uninformed opinion vs. your uninformed opinion, and that’s just a waste of breath.

Thankfully our front office DOES have access to him, not to mention Sewell and all of his coaches and teammates and acquaintances. So with KT I think the only way to approach it is be happy if we draft him, because then it will mean he’s answered all of the questions we had about him, or be fine with passing on him because he didn’t hold up.

Because based on the tape, it isn’t really a contest. There’s Thibs and Hutch then everyone else.

3 Likes

I’m all-in on JJ but also won’t complain about the other edge guys unless Thibs is the pick and he shows up full of Diva drama and locker room toxicity. I’ll probably break something if they take a QB at 2

I hope JJ does all the agility tests well today, so I don’t have to rethink my quixotic love for him.

Oh I like JJ a lot too, have had him as my #3 edge and in the top ten since January. But even if he does test well, his tape just isn’t on the same level as Hutch and Thibs. It’s great and I think he’ll be a very good player in the league, I just think KT and Hutch have a better shot at it.

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.