Candid GM Brandon Beane: Bills got 'raw deal' with 2024 NFL draft picks

For those attempting to guess compensatory picks, the process remains a mystery even to NFL GMs.

Jesse Bates netted the Bengals a 3rd round comp pick…
with a AAV of $16.05 million…. played 100% of snaps.
Bates did make the pro bowl… which adds a few points.

Edmunds signed for $18 million AAV…
and played 92% of snaps.

The salary portion of the formula usually makes up 90+% of the points for the comp picks….

so this is a bit surprising.

1 Like

Attached is what OTC has posted as their thoughts on it. I think what might have happened with Edmunds is they might lump “linebackers” together in the formula. So while Edmunds is the 3rd highest paid MLB in football, he is much further down the list if “edge” style linebackers are added to the equation. That is also consistent with how the franchise tag see’s the position. Which is why the LB tag is $24M. There is no distinction between MLB and OLB.

That is what OTC posted after the NFL awarded the picks.

OTC originally projected a 3rd round comp pick for Buffalo.

He underestimated the number of guys that qualify as “LB.” He did the same thing the year before with the MLB who went from the Falcons to the Jags for $15M/year. Most of us were right there with him. If you look at his salary rankings, Tremaine Edmunds is the 3rd highest paid LB in the league at $18M. The highest paid LB makes $20M/year. But like I said before, the NFL set the franchise tag for LB at $24M. Which means they are including OLB/edge rushers into their formula. We now know that the NFL doesn’t have a carve out for “MLB” that is separate from OLB.

I have never seen any information that indicates a players position is related to the comp pick formula.

Everything I have seen indicates it is strictly (and mostly) AAV… playing time, and individual recognition (pro bowl, all-pro).