CB - Caleb Farley runs a 4.24 40 at Exos

Pro days are always hand timed and hand timed runs are always faster.

Think of it this way. This company does this for a living. These proday events are run by former NFL people. They send all the data and videos following their events to all 32 NFL teams to get their clients exposure. Sending bad data hurts their integrity. The NFL will verify and they already have a pretty good idea what these kids run. That’s why they held this at the Dallas facility. It’s the closest surface they have to Indy. It’s the same turf and same electronic lazer equipment.

So again, one of the fastest in history. If you think he is THAT level of fast, that’s okay. I’m not saying he isn’t. I just want to be sure that you fully appreciate what you are saying. When you get down in that range at the combine, you aren’t just regular fast. You are the fastest of the fast.

As long as you believe this just happens to be the fastest class in history, I’m okay with it. I just think its an awfully big coincidence. The company didn’t just start this year. They have a really good recent “track” record (pun intended), with lots of fast times. But I think we need to pump the brakes on taking these times as apples to apples with past combine times.

1 Like

I would have no issue with Farley (or Surtain II for that matter) at 7. Even if Okudah ends up elite, CB remains a huge need for us. With how rookie contracts are constructed, using draft capital early on the same position (especially one where you have 2-3 on the field at the same time) isn’t that big of deal anymore. We wouldn’t have to worry about overlapping large contracts at cb until 5 years in the future and with contract structures, the Lions could extend that issue to closer to 6-7 years from now…and that would be if they both end up great which would be a great problem to have.

The thing that stands out to me is that he was 4.37 fast in high school. One can only image how much he improved in college and/or with specialized training.

I’ll also add this … Exos has 100’s of clients. They train these kids for speed. The kids who ran already knew roughly what they would run because they get timed multiple times in the program to show the kids their progress.

The kids that ran were the fastest kids they had. The kids who weren’t fast are waiting for their pro days to be hand timed instead. Or won’t run at all.

There were 10 kids in last years combine who ran a sub 4.4 and two of them were sub 4.3.

Ruggs was the fastest at 4.27.

You all are acting like these numbers are extremely rare. This is just the time of one of the fastest guys in this years draft. Farley was already expected to be one of the fastest. Maybe not 4.24 but he had been timed in the low 4.3’s before.

1 Like

Why does it have to be the fastest class in history?

Please explain

Denzel Ward ran a 4.32. I think Farley is that type of fast. I could’ve of course be off by a few 100ths of a second but Farley has always been very fast.

But no I don’t think he would’ve set the record at the combine. Anthony Schwartz might have though. He is all time fast and has the track times to prove it.

Good marketing program for EXOS.

Because that’s what the numbers are saying. If you are convinced that these numbers are apples to apples with past combine numbers, it means this class of guys are the fastest…as a group. And some of them individually the fastest of all time.

Anthony Schwartz is the kind of guy that if he runs a 4.24 I say “well, that sounds about right.” When Caleb does it, I feel like something’s off. And when Rashod Bateman runs in the 4.3’s I just laugh it off.

Barely a dozen guys have cracked a sub 4.3 forty at the combine. Yes, its very rare.

I agree with you. I think Caleb’s time is at least 5/100ths off and it could be 1/10th off. I agree about Bateman as well. Nice WR prospect but he sure plays like a 4.5 guy.

Sorry Wes but … No it’s not.

No it doesn’t I’ll explain.

Exos is representing over 200 kids in this years draft class. Only 255 were drafted last year.

I read somewhere last year that around 2/3rds of the combine invites joined their training programs. Ruggs was one of them and I recall the article had said almost all of the top speeds came out of their program. (I tried to find the article again but couldn’t) So let’s assume that most of the fastest guys were in their program last year. If they trained 2/3rds of the fastest guys that means likely 7 guys came out of their program.

Exos is hosting two combines.

In last years draft there were 10 kids that were sub 4.4. So that means Exos should have around 7 kids run sub 4.4’s if this class is on par with last years class. Right?

So far they’ve had 3 and still have another event to host.

I’d argue that the East cost combine is probably the better of the two.

Edit: @wesleysh21 - I came back and added stats.

Keep in mind that they get faster every year too

So I went and looked it up.

Prior to this year 11 kids have ran a sub 4.3 40.
7 of those kids were in the last 5 combines.
2 in last years draft.

These are just kids timed at the combine.

See my post below showing last years top 10 times.

So far this year we’ve had 1.

So here comes “this” time of year. He ran X so he’s got to be picked here now. Either this kid was a top 5 type player or he wasn’t. Both him and Surtain are probably top 10 prospects based on the tape. But if you don’t have a guy as a top 5 player prior to a 40, then he shouldn’t be a top 5 player after a 40. IMHO of course.

3 Likes

This is last years top 10 speeds at Indy.

This list does not count the guys who passed at Indy and ran at their pro days.

WR Henry Ruggs: 4.27

CB Javelin Guidy: 4.29

WR Quez Watkins: 4.35

DB L’Jarius Sneed: 4.37

WR Denzel Mims: 4.38

WR Darnell Mooney: 4.38

WR Devin Duvernay: 4.39

WR Antonio Gibson: 4.39

LB Isaiah Simmons: 4.39

RB Jonathan Taylor: 4.39

There were more but they didn’t run at Indy due to injury. KJ Hamler was one of them and he ran 4.27 at his pro day.

Farley is a really good corner. He’s not just a workout warrior.

1 Like

Absolutely. I’ve consistently seen him as the 1st or 2nd rated corner, which is a good thing.

If you would even consider mixing together pro day numbers with Indy numbers, it means you are missing a huge part of the conversation.

Show me this long list of guys who have ran sub 4.3 at the combine. I bet the list ends quicker than you think it does.

Take all of this with a grain of salt.

EXOS is paid by the athletes in future earnings. A LOT. If they come out with a bad time for any of their clients, I’ll be shocked.

Already Rashod Bateman and Tylan Wallace have come out with 4.39s. Neither one of those guys is that fast.

This is gonna be a trying offseason.

1 Like

So far this year we’ve had one kid run a sub 4.3. Last year we had two.
There’s been 7 in the last 5 years and 11 overall.

It’s programs like Exos and are helping these kids get faster. Not to mention the changes in vitamins, supplements and eating.

Your acting like one sub 4.3 is a unicorn.

How does one kid running a sub 4.3 and 2 kids at sub 4.4 make this the fastest class in history?

So far we’re not even as fast as last years.

When it comes to CB’s, my combination formula is 3 Cone Drill X 2 plus 40 time minus the combined inches number of long jump and high jump. Lowest negative number wins. That’s just me. Point is, I think the 3 Cone Drill is more important with corners, that’s just my opinion.

That’s an impressive number by any measure. I’d like to see what it is on VA Tech’s track, where you have enough data from past combine versus pro day runs to be able to extrapolate a more accurate number.

I’m with @wesleysh21 in regards to the idea of not trusting the company’s numbers.

You punted on it I see. So let me take you back to the discussion.

I said you can only believe Farley’s time is apples to apples with an Indy combine time if you are willing to believe Farley is one of the fastest guys in history. If that sits well with you, by all means its an apples to apples legit time. If it doesn’t…like with me…then you look at it differently. You stepped in with some strange arguments, including the idea that a sub 4.3 in the forty at the combine isn’t rare. It is…and it would signal that Farley isn’t just fast…he has world class speed.