CBS Sports Pre-Draft Prospect Rankings

Still waiting for Holmes to do well in FA.

1 Like

Only one (UAB) small school player in top 100? CBS needs to do their homework better.

Glad we don’t need a top tier WR, seems really weak there.

3 Likes

JSN, Addison, and Johnston are all really good prospects IMO.

2 Likes

JSN has had an unfortunate season with lingering injuries:

Might be back for the Michigan game (or not).

I don’t understand how Levis could be ranked top 5. I know there’s a lot of projection involved but I must be the only one who thinks that his tools aren’t that special. It’s not like Josh Allen who had a rough go on the field in his final season but had an elite skillset. Is he even a better prospect than Malik Willis? Eh, not sure.

The two things that stick out to me is how overrated Levis is and how underrated the corners are. Christian Gonzalez for example should be a lot higher than 43. Joey Porter at 33 also seems really low IMO.

1 Like

Well, I know that. He came back against Toledo and reinjured it, and then came back against Iowa and reinjured it again, so he’s probably out for the year.

He’s still a really good player.

I wasn’t criticizing your position that he’s still a really good player. I don’t disagree. It’s just unfortunate that he hasn’t had much of a chance to show it this season.

1 Like

I’m not seeing it either. As the competition has improved, Levis has looked rather ordinary:

Nice. I have EWF Pandora playing most every day I work from home…then I read some RWE and I am almost fired up enough to make some sales calls.

Almost.

1 Like

Oof. Against ranked teams - 4TD, 5 Int.

1 Like

I’ve got five corners in my top 20: Cam Smith, Joey Porter, Emmanuel Forbes, Clark Phiilips and Christian Gonzalez. Then I have Ringo, Ricks, Witherspoon and Abrams-Draine in my top 40, and would have had Garrett Williams in there too if he hadn’t blown out his ACL. THEN I have Jaylon Jones, DJ Turner, and Kyu Blu Kelly inside my top 60, and Riley Moss, Mekhi Garner and Josh Newton just outside of it.

This CB class is totally insane. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anything like it. I regularly end up drafting 2, and given Brad’s penchant for doubling up on positions of need, it wouldn’t shock me.

2 Likes

They need to grab one with a 1st Rd pick, fo sho.

Agreed. I’d say it’s all but guaranteed that the Lions draft one of these top corners although it could be argued that they could get a high quality one later in the draft, because of the crazy corner depth, if they see better players at the first two picks. Getting Gonzalez, for example, with the 2nd rounder would be a major W.

Of course the draft is always a fluid situation but as of right now I don’t think there’s any other position group that comes even remotely close to how strong this CB class is.
Unfortunately for the Lions there hasn’t been a deep DT class for quite some time and that’s arguably their biggest need. Might need to dig into free agency to find that guy.

1 Like

I really think after the combine he’s going top 15. He’s just too big and too good of an athlete not to crush the pre-draft process. And he’s having a good year as well.

If we’re zeroing in at CB with that first 2nd rounder, I think we’ll be looking at guys like Ricks or Witherspoon or even Jaylon Jones or DJ Turner if they crush the pre-draft process as well (which I kinda expect). Given the surplus of CBs there’s an outside chance that a guy like Forbes or Phillips could fall to that spot too. I expect them to test fine but not as freaks. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I don’t love it at the top outside of Carter and Bresee, but there’s some mid-round guys who have my attention.

Colby Wooden out of Auburn has a high motor and great explosiveness and that’s stuff that can’t be taught. Still needs a lot of work on technique and his get off on the snap needs to improve, but that’s the stuff that can be coached up to me. I’m worried his play of late is gonna rocket him up boards. He’s really more of a 5-tech but could work inside in a 4-man front IMO.

Byron Young out of Alabama (the other Byron Young) is another guy who’s starting to really rise on boards. He’s a bit like Wooden, a tall, lighter guy (sub 300 pounds) with long arms who really gets after it in attack. To me he and Wooden are both being punished for a lack of edge qualifications because they’re on the lighter side, rather than rewarded for what they can do.

I really like both those guys and wouldn’t be shocked if they had a steady rise throughout the pre-draft process. Other mid-round guys worth looking into are Zacch Pickens, Keondre Coburn and Karl Brooks (I’d list Tuli Tuipulotu here as well but expect him to go a bit higher).

2 Likes

Trevor Siekema and Mike Renner just did a draft yesterday and we ended up with the two Clemson DL. That would please me. Though I think we’re more likely to pick top five and 14-18.

Yeah I think our pick will be in the teens. Who knows where the Rams pick ends up.

1 Like

Well their three most winnable remaining games are New Orleans, Oakland and Denver. The first two they play without Cooper Kupp. Not sure if he makes it back for Denver on XMas day.

2 Likes

Ending up with Jalen Carter and Tyree Wilson would be pretty nice “consolation prize.”

1 Like

Carter for sure. Haven’t watched Wilson so no opinion either way. The length is intriguing for sure but it’s a really deep edge class so we’ll have options.

1 Like