Center/Guard Day 3 - Nouzard, Bortolini, Limmer

Hunter Nourzard - 6’3 317 10.75 hand, 79.5 wingspan,

Nourzad started 20 games at right tackle at Cornell, started at center for Penn State the past two seasons and played some guard in 2022. He’s at his best climbing and combo-blocking to the second level. He can pull around the corner and lead block. And Nourzad digs in and anchors against bull-rushers in pass protection. He has the length, quickness and size to develop into an effective interior pass-blocker

Beaux Limmer Arkansas 6’4.5 302 32arm 78 wingspan

Pre-Draft Analysis

Limmer has the experience after starting 41 games in college. He started out as a guard, but moved to center at the end of the 2022 season. He bench-pressed 225 pounds 39 times times at the combine, the most reps since 2020 and four more than any other player this year. Limmer has the quickness and lateral agility to excel in a zone-heavy scheme. He is tough to shake when he gets his hands inside and tends to anchor well in pass protection. – Steve Muench

Tanor Bortolini 6’4 302 10hand, 31.25 arm, 77.675 wing

Pre-Draft Analysis

Bortolini isn’t an overpowering run-blocker, but he quickly gets into positon and walls off defenders in the run game. He is effective combo-blocking to the second level. His lateral quickness and range make him an excellent fit for zone-heavy schemes. Bortolini gets set quickly, works his hands inside and latches onto defenders in pass protection. He has the body control and quick feet to mirror edge rushers. He has started games at all three interior positions.

I am going to go ahead and call my shot…

I like Nouzard more than Frazier & JPJ that went round 2.

Nouzard round 4 is a steal, and the future

I really think we will look for an IOL with at least one of the remaining picks. Beaux Limmer is from the same school as Ragnow. From what I watched of Limmer he is very good moving forward and an excellent run blocker with no problems taking out LBs at the 2nd level. He has problems in pass blocking with very little anchor. He got trucked by Sweat in the one on ones at the senior bowl practices. He may have a future at C but as an OG he is similar to Stenburg in pass protection.

Bortolini is a very good athlete but he just isn’t strong enough to get any movement in his blocks.

Nouzard is probably the best of the three and does everything well but nothing great. I’m not sure he has the upside to be a starter but seems to have the smarts and ability to back up all 3 interior positions.

^Great assessment couldn’t have said it better myself

We have 2 guys on the roster that may be ready to step up in OG Netane Muti who is not the greatest athlete but he likes to smash people. I think we picked him up from the Broncos. The other is Connor Galvin a LT from Baylor who was on our practice squad last year. He needed to add some strength but he was a good pass blocker at Baylor.

PS guys in my opinion

I’m more concerned about Niese, is he an Evan Brown developmental Center that can spot start if needed? Or a PS guy himself

Get that Center tomorrow in Nourzard

Get guys like Crum & Keegan to compete with Skipper, Gavin, Muti, Kayode etc

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjIjvny8-GFAxW7FFkFHdlsAM4Q78AJegQIIRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DnmE8dIpx05A&usg=AOvVaw22s5GEv6H_wzaQM2qHLFYj&opi=89978449

This is some film on Muti

1 Like

He improved the whole season in 2023 an Lions made him priority signing this off season. He played solid all season an really well when called on during playoffs. He will not be replaced IMO. They also like Sorsdal a lot an will see his improvement. I like Calvin he stood out last preseason an just needed to get stronger . Don’t write players off who have developed over a whole season even off PS. Many needed better coaching an to get stronger. These players are now stronger an know position play better so lets not just say PS. The OL players your drafting now will have to battle for a roster spot. This is when school program makes a difference Sorsdal will be one to watch an Martin on D this season. Muti is example Fresno State na its his 4th year he was part of numbers game an Lions picked him up off season. he is experienced now an stronger an just 25. These are example like Iffy it took him awhile. If Lions thought they needed Ol early we would have taken one. They like young guys from last season . Farniok played some Center in school they added him also played at Nebraska 3 year player. My point is they don’t need to just take a player anymore unless he carries a high grade by them not talking heads.

Agree that’s any I said draft them round 7 to compete

Matthew Jones - G - Ohio State

Should be available when we have picks lated today. For a 5th/6th/7th, you won’t regret it. He’s better than Awosika and Sorsdal.

Plus he’s got a Lions-ish mentality (not very vocal or anything but attacks each play with a lot of effort)

Overview (From NFL.com)

Densely built with thick arms and a relatively broad frame. Jones is athletic in pass protection and does a nice job of mirroring the rush to protect both A- and B-gaps against counter moves and twists. Despite his build, he doesn’t play with the core strength needed for consistent contact balance and can be neutralized and discarded by strong two-gappers in the run game. He comes off the ball and snaps into contact but needs to play with better inside hands to improve his power down the middle. Jones has talent as a move blocker and pass protector and is set up to become a backup guard, with a chance to move up the ladder.

Strengths

• Gets out of stance and into lateral run-blocking steps quickly.
  • Snaps his hips and hands into first contact as drive blocker.
  • Feet and athleticism capable of making second-level blocks.
  • Maintains eyes and hand feel for both gaps early in pass rep.
  • Adequate redirection steps to mirror a cross-face rush move.
  • Quality reactive quickness to deal with aggressive twisting fronts.

Weaknesses

• Doesn’t have core power to survive poor pad level. - Not sure if I agree
  • Below-average drive power due to wide hands. - Agree
  • Tries to club and torque base blocks rather than stick and steer. - Also kind of agree
  • Two-gapping tackles can stack and toss him around. - Ehh
  • Occasional lunging into punch opens him to counters. - Agree

Christian Mahogany from Boston College is someone that wouldn’t surprise me. 5th best Athletic score at the combine for OG’s. Is a bit of a project but couldd be a solid OG.

1 Like

I do like Nouzard a bit better but at this point I would just like to see some raw material added to compete and give them someone to work on.

I feel strongly that Ragnow has crested and will start that downward play. It is 100% about his toe and his general health. By the end of last season he was just grunting out the games. His pain threshold must be next level. Not only was his toe a mess but he had twisted his knee and was just playing through the pain. This for me has some urgency. But what do I know. I struggle to have a competitive FF team. And I have all the stats and can pick any dude I want.

1 Like

The Office Nbc GIF

1 Like