Chargers fire Staley and GM

I’d say more fact than rumor.

I just hope when ben leaves he dont take many coordinators with him

If Ben likes playing 17 road games then it’s a perfect fit. Chargers have a real disadvantage in that area.

3 Likes

The coordinators will have a good opportunity with Dan C as well as with Ben. Ben is also an unknown as a HC and that transition, OC to HC, isn’t guarranteed. Dan is more secure and, not sure I believe I’m going to type this, but I like current Lion’s ownership better than the LAC ownership.

1 Like

Brandon Staley was the defensive coordinator for the Rams in 2020 (Brad Holmes final season with the Rams).

The Rams defense was #1 in the NFL in points against (296), and #1 in total yards (4511).

Aaron Glenn did sign an extension this past spring. I can’t find the details to AG’s new contract.

But…if AG is fired in January - Staley could be a potential DC replacement.

2 Likes

I had thought about this

But would we rather go that route or promote from within?

I’m sure at the very least, Shep is having a conversation / interview with them. He’s been here, he’s perfect for the culture, the guys LOVE playing for him, etc etc. His resume in his time here certainly merits a chit-chat.

1 Like

OMG, thank you, thank you, you’ve given me hope!!!

I don’t think AG is getting fired under any circumstances this offseason.

And if he does Dennis Allen is taking his job

2 Likes

Does the Rooney rule apply to coordinators?

1 Like

It has to at least intrigue him. I guess it all depends on how much he still wants to coach.

The Harbaugh talk is going to get real. I think he enjoys coaching at Michigan, he’s happy with the university president, they are willing to pay him well, but Rich is correct on one thing. Michigan can’t offer him a chance at a Lombardi. I’m not convinced Harbaugh leaves, but there is a lot that would make this job attractive to him. His wife is from Southern California, he’d have a chance to bring his own front office and he would have Justin Herbert.

Belichick also. This has to be a very attractive job to him. There is zero doubt he would get that defense straightened out, and he would have a QB. That has to intrigue him. Then again perhaps he goes the full Lombardi path and finishes his career out in D.C.

https://twitter.com/RichEisenShow/status/1735740452564029500

2 Likes

Would Dennis Allen take his good friend’s job? Allen is a good defensive coordinator and I imagine he’d have multiple opportunities if he’s fired.

But I think the Saints win the South and Allen hangs onto t.

That makes sense to me. I’m thinking that the Chargers might want to roll with a proven head coach, with winning experience, versus another first time guy.

2 Likes

This is what good teams face as part of parity process is others taking your best coaching talent

Re tool and lions as a platform to success and opportunity attracts coaching talent imo

You have to drill down on that, as the cool kids say these days. When you hit the Spanos Layer, you’ve hit the toxic source.

Best thing that could have happened from the Save BJ perspective, imo; mid-season firing bookending a foolish hire to begin with, following the botched fan-shedding move, makes The Faders not the worst-run AFC West franchise & that’s not an easy title to win. I doubt BJ is impressed.

And who would move into a division with Mahomes by choice ?! Like double-blind-dating with Brad Pitt as your wingman.

I’d still bet on ATL if BJ wants to leave. NE, the dark horse candidate.

1 Like

Unpopular opinion but is actually fact-

Ben Johnson is Nearly a photo negative of Staley, just w/o the superbowl ring.

The fad of hiring a super young coach who was the hot coordinator with almoat zero experience and dues paid culminated in Staley.

Staley resume
4 college years at tiny schools as position coach/DC combo.

3 years pro position coach- 2 w/Denver LB coach, 1 Chicago same.

1 year, ONE as a DC w Rams.

No HC experience at any level.

Lets check Ben’s Linked In!

1 yr TE coach Boston College

4 years Dolphins assistant position coach, 1 year WR coach

Lions- 1 yr QC, 1 yr TE coach, 1 yr Passing Game Coordinator, now 1.5 yrs OC.

While it looks better than Staley’s, it has a similar flavor and both show exactly 0 experience at being The Leader.

I get it about Leadership Positions…you have to Be Ready when the first opportunity/ call comes, been there, lived it. It’s Hard. It’s Super Hard to be Excellent and its nearly Impossible to be Inexperienced and Excellent in a Bad Situation.

That’s why he bailed on Carolina last year.

He isn’t the arrogant, smug doucher that Staley is…and he will likely have some level of success…but to me, it may still be too early unless he gets The Right Tight Fit
(C’mon Natty, softball time there)

I’m really saying the NFL owner hiring pendulum has probably hit the far reach of early 30s Whiz Kid X/Os nerd mania and will start coming back to center…

7 Likes

I just can’t picture Belichick enjoying life in LA.

1 Like

I think the Chargers want (in order)

Harbs
Belicheat
BJ

They just got burned by a first timer NFL coach, which pushes BJ down the list.

2 Likes

Potential job openings per espn