Chargers interested in Ben Johnson?

That one would be tough to turn down.If he goes to Carolina, it might destroy his career.

1 Like

Agree to disagree on this one, I just don’t know how you choose Washington with so many question marks across the board there. It’s certainly not the worst job that’s going to be available (looking at you Carolina), but not the best imo either.

Bc Josh Harris is somewhat of a known commodity due to his Sixers ownership run. It’s also one of the more stories franchises in the league and they’ve got a pretty decent setup IMO. They need some help at OL and need to add an edge and perhaps another piece in the secondary but it’s a pretty decent roster.

The Spanos family and not having your own stadium or any himefied advantage, and salary cap constraints are major headwinds for LAC. They likely face a reboot. TB is on the decline and needing to be rebooted and Carolina is a no go bc of Tepper. I also think outside of Tepper Harris will pay the most.

Out of those four it’s easily WAS IMO. The division is potentially problematic but that can change rather quickly IMO.

1 Like

Things change quickly though. It wasn’t too long ago the NFC West was a laughing stock. The AFC East outside of NE was trash, etc, etc… Even the NFC East went through a stretch as the worst conference back in the mid-20-teens.

1 Like

I don’t have to believe in the Spanos family, I just have to, if I’m Ben Johnson, believe in the job Tom Telesco is doing acquiring talent. I’m ambivalent on Telesco myself, but the unknown quantity is the Washington GM situation, which could move them up or down on the list.

Now Tampa, imo, is the best of the bunch. You already have a GM who has proven they can put together a Super Bowl winning roster. Proven that they can acquire top end talent in free agency and the draft. Jason Licht might not be Bill Polian, but you know he can get the job done.

Quite true, Quite true.

1 Like

I would doubt that Ben sees it this way. He has seen first hand what a dramatic impact Sheila has made.

Josh Harris is an analytics/math guy. And he’s supposedly a gentleman as well. I think that combination will hold some appeal with Ben.

Success in one venue doesn’t guarantee it in another, but it does increase the probability. As far as math and analytics, meh, that’s like saying he has indoor plumbing instead of an outhouse. Everyone is doing analytics, which just about makes it a non-factor.

Except for Jerry Jones, he just has the party bus for the refs.

Again, who he hires as a GM will be far more important in the decision process of Head Coach candidates than the quality of ownership. The Head Coach works hand in hand with the GM, alot, the owner just signs the checks and, hopefully, keeps their nose out of it otherwise.

Ben Johnson’s degree is in Mathematics IIRC. And no it’s not common for an owner to be an analytics devotee the way Josh Harris is. I don’t think it’s a meh at all.

I’m not saying that Ben is surely heading to Washington. I’m just saying that out of the four you mentioned I believe it’s the biggest threat of those four.

1 Like

They’ve got an analytics GM in Minnesota, it matters who the General Manager is unless Harris plans on being Jerry Jones. If they hire someone Ben feels comfortable picking out his groceries, then yes, it’s a great job. If not, there’s better options on the table. You’re making good points, and I’m enjoying the discussion. See, it’s exchanges like this you just can’t find anywhere else. Please, continue.

1 Like

Josh Harris is definitely going to hire a GM than leans into analytics. He hired Daryl Morey for the Sixers. It’s well know to be incredibly important to him.

We’ll have to wait and see. I do think that Herbert would have some allure for sure but the Chargers are about to go through some things IMO and I believe Ben will see it that way as well. I do very much respect your opinion though even if I disagree with it.

1 Like

Same here bud! I’m still going to say Tampa Bay, simply because I think there’s some instant win potential there, especially were they to land Ben and Cousins. It’s a really weak division and they could be dominant next year. If Washington hires a good GM, that could allow for some leapfrog potential in my rankings of most desirable Head Coach jobs likely to be available.