Chargers interested in Ben Johnson?

From profootballrumors.com

The Lions’ continued ascent under Dan Campbell stands to make his coordinators high-end HC candidates in 2024. While Aaron Glenn figures to generate additional interest, Ben Johnson will be a sure bet to land multiple interviews.

One of those requests may come from the Chargers, who have yet to make a decision on Brandon Staley. But with the defense-minded HC looking likely to be fired after this season, The Athletic’s Joe Person notes many in league circles expect the Chargers to have Johnson atop their wish list in 2024 (subscription required).

1 Like

Good for Ben!

1 Like

The Athletic article referenced has Ben J has one of a few different options they will look at:

Ben Johnson Lions
Jim Harbaugh UM
Brian Johnson Eagles
Steve Wilks 49ers
Bill Belichek Patriots

Edit: the Athletic link is actually for an article for the Panthers HC options. When mentioning Ben Johnson it adds this with regards to the Chargers:
But many in league circles are predicting Johnson will be the Los Angeles Chargers’ first target if they move on from Brandon Staley. And no matter how many millions Tepper were to throw at Johnson to return to his home state, Justin Herbert seemingly would make the Chargers more appealing.

From a standpoint of earnings the benefit of having staying power as a HC far outweighs a bit money deal for a sh!tshow.

This is, once again, the only job I think Ben would actually leave for.

You can’t fix “short”.
I’m not convinced Ben will take a job that isn’t a special situation.
As tempting as going home might be, it’s a shit show with zero vision. Ben is too smart to waste his first shot, knowing it could be his last.
LA, might be the right situation, but, as I’ve said before, Ben knows what a “good” situation looks like. If he doesn’t completely share in the GM’s vision, he’s likely not just taking the money for a year or two.

1 Like

Washington. I think he and Josh Harris are the same type of thinker. And while also a WS guy (PE rather than HF) he’s far more well adjusted than Tepper

They can take AG instead please.

1 Like

I’ve been saying this for awhile. I think it’s the perfect fit

2 Likes

If we have to lose him, I’d like to see him go to a place like this, where he can succeed.

1 Like

Carolina? It would be like Certs. Two, two, two problems solved in one move.

Every team with an opening will be interested in Ben Johnson, he’ll have his pick of teams. Good for him.

1 Like

The Chargers job feels like one you’d almost have to take if you’re Ben Johnson. LA weather, Herbert as your QB, and offensive talent everywhere. Hate to lose his services but wouldn’t blame him a bit.

2 Likes
1 Like

Pat Kirwan spent time with the Jets and he has strong feelings about jobs with teams that are “2nd class citizens” in their own building. The LA Clippers can relate. Pat talks about trying to show potential free agents and staff the facilities, and they see “NY Giants” everywhere they look. He cautioned the Chargers about “moving in” with the Rams, because they would be committing to a similar fate.

The Chargers are a tentant in someone else’s building, and they don’t even have enough “local” support to have a home field advantage. The owner’s don’t spend the “big money” on staff, so they won’t win a bidding war for assistant coaches.

That is a short version of why I would stay as the Lions OC instead of taking the Chargers HC job.

2 Likes

If we could somehow get Kellen Moore as his replacement, then I would say,
High Five Group Hug GIF by Hospital Show

1 Like

I think of all the jobs that might be available this offseason, Tampa Bay might just be the most attractive. That’s a very winnable division, some great weapons to work with, pieces to build around, and if Ben Johnson thinks he can bring in a “Bridge” QB while they get it figured out, I can definitely see that being the most attractive job.

Chargers get to deal with the Chiefs, and Washington has both Philly and Dallas to deal with, Tampa Bay actually has a pretty clear path to succeeding if they can get things untracked down there, there’s just no dominant team in that division.

1 Like

That’s the one I’m concerned with. An analytics progressive thinking owner. In his backyard. Storied franchise. Decent offensive setup with considerable draft capital.

1 Like

I can definitely see Washington as an attractive opportunity for Ben, however I’m going to point out a couple things.

1. What kind of defensive staff will Ben be able to bring to the table? As a Head Coach, this is an important consideration. Washington has some great defensive pieces to work with, but also some gaping holes. Jack Del Rio got thrown under the bus for the failures of the defense.

2. Four games a year against the Eagles and Cowboys right out of the gate. You should never be intimidated by competition, but there’s also a firm, reality based acknowledgement that needs to be considered.

3. Who’s the GM? Someone has to clean up Martin Mayhew’s mess. This is something that has to be weighed carefully. Washington COULD try to make a package deal move by going after Ray Agnew as well… Either way, that question will be answered before the Head Coach hire, most likely.

Washington faces some very sobering challenges for any Head Coach candidate to consider. Yes, they have draft capital, but who is doing the grocery shopping? It certainly wouldn’t be the first time a team has turned a slew of picks into a steaming pile of poo.

If I was to lay three jobs on the table, Buccaneers, Chargers, and Commanders, that would also be the order that I think you would be putting them in as a matter of preference.

1 Like

Commanders in first for sure.

1 Like