Chargers prefer Ben Johnson: Mutual interest?

Mutual Interest Between Chargers, Lions’ Ben Johnson For HC?

December 5th, 2023 at 12:43pm CST by Sam Robinson

DECEMBER 5: While Johnson is sure to have several suitors during the 2024 hiring cycle, Jason La Canfora of the Washington Post notes his preferred destination would be the Chargers. It remains to be seen if Los Angeles’ offseason evaluation of the coaching and front office staffs will produce a change, but in the event it does there will apparently be mutual interest between team and candidate in this case.

NOVEMBER 28: The Lions’ continued ascent under Dan Campbell stands to make his coordinators high-end HC candidates in 2024. While Aaron Glenn figures to generate additional interest, Ben Johnson will be a sure bet to land multiple interviews.

One of those requests may come from the Chargers, who have yet to make a decision on Brandon Staley. But with the defense-minded HC looking likely to be fired after this season, The Athletic’s Joe Person notes many in league circles expect the Chargers to have Johnson atop their wish list in 2024 (subscription required).

When the headline ends with a question mark, its pure conjecture and click bait.
Not gunna do it.

4 Likes

LOL, that was my thread headline, not copying theirs there.
It’s called profootballrumors for a reason and you don’t have to click it I posted the first paragraph or two for you.

1 Like

It doesn’t take Sherlock Holmes to link the two.

The Chargers have a proven young QB and many pieces in place to be successful. Plus, putting up 41 points against the Chargers was a great audition for the job.

It’s a “no brainer” for both the Chargers & Johnson.

Tepper will be crying in his martini again.

How tf would Jason La Confora know what Ben is thinking?

He’s been reporting on the NFL for a long time, so i don’t doubt he has contacts all over the league.

Although the WP article linked in the above paragraph, OP, has a large segment on the Panthers owner really wanting B Johnson.

This is all there is regarding the Chargers and Ben J, as I said it is a rumor site and second link in the first paragraph above goes to another Profootballrumor post on Ben J.

For all of the Chargers’ offensive failings, everyone I ask about the best job opening offers that team without hesitation because of quarterback Justin Herbert. That’s where they believe Johnson will most want to be as well.

Telepathy?

Isn’t LaCanfora’s tag line “a birdie told me”?

Kind of obvious isn’t it? If I was gonna get chances to be a HC I’d certainly want to go where the best QB is as that will play a huge role in any new coaches success.

And that weather?

Easy to see why it would be attractive

1 Like

Can we trade BJ for Bosa?

2 Likes

Fits in.

Will find his way to IR list.

Raiders gonna hang 70 on Chargers Ben
They scored 0 last week

Do not take this job

I repeat

Do not take this job

1 Like

If Johnson leaves for Chargers, I could see Kellen Moore stepping in as his replacement.

The Chargers are a crap show, that would be a tough job man. I know they have Herbert, but no one has been able to win with Herbert yet because of that organization

Only if he agrees to hitch up to a run game coordinator with some Dan oversight.

I like Kellen Moore. Kellen Moore left to his own devices is far too finesse oriented.

I have a potential OC I’d like but it’s so damn far outside the box that many would think I’m crazy. It will never happen though.

Matt Patricia

He’ll fair much better this time!

The key is higher gauge pencils

And a faster golf cart on the practice field for him

Victory :arrow_down: