Commies not picking up Chase Young's 5th year option

Not saying “remember when he was good”…just saying he isn’t average WHEN HEALTHY. Okudah was the worst corner in football when healthy…otherwise…yea…not a surprise they are moving on. I would imagine he does well somewhere else.

He just turned 24 and has been hurt for 2 years… He’s got all the talent in the world, he needs to commit to football. 2023 will be a huge year for him.

Right, we’ll circle back to this after the season and see what we think then. If he can stay healthy I expect him to blow up.

1 Like

Hold on now, I’m not an Okudah guy, was happy to trade him, but worst corner in football? Man that’s pretty harsh. I think AO had him beat at least for worst. :wink:

1 Like

During his healthy rookie season he was pretty terrible though. A lot of extenuating circumstances but still, we can only go by what he put on the tape.

Oh his rookie year, he wasn’t healthy for that, he missed about half of that with injuries too I believe. I was thinking of last year, he had a few good moments last year. Just not consistent at all though.

It’s interesting though that they were both top 5 picks from the same school in the same draft and both haven’t been able to stay on the field.

1 Like

But isn’t it about him hitting his cieling?

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

1 Like

This seemed like a really easy decision given the money for picking up that option. I would have done the same thing.

2 Likes

The Washington Post’s Nicki Jhabvala reports the Commanders have declined to pick up EDGE Chase Young’s fifth-year option.

Young will be a free agent next March unless he and the team come to terms on a long-term deal this summer or during the season. That seems unlikely unless Young, 24, stays healthy in 2023 after playing in just 11 games over the past two seasons due to an ACL tear. Young, a first round pick by Washington in 2020, got off to a fast start in the NFL, recording 7.5 sacks, four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries (including one returned for a touchdown) as a rookie. He has 1.5 sacks since the start of the 2021 season. Young is likely going to play for another team in 2024, and might not have much of a market unless he returns to form. ESPN’s Dan Graziano said Young could be traded during the NFL Draft.

Dan Graziano mentions they may trade him during the draft. Not sure what his value is as a highly touted college prospect who was dominant at times his rookie year, but has been almost non-existent the past two while dealing with a major injury. Plus he has a chance to be a one year rental as well. I personally would take 16, Young and a 2024 1st for the 6th pick.

With that said, common sense tells you he isn’t going anywhere. If they did have intentions to trade him and have received any legitimate interest back, why decline his option? Would he not be more valuable if the other team still had that option?

The best I think anyone can hope from Chase Young is he might play with his hair on fire in 2023 knowing he’s in a contract year. Then he might play half of a season the same way when he gets to his new team on a big money contract. Then the magical ride is over and he will revert back to being…whatever the heck he is right now.

1 Like

lol, true…50th and 75th…

3 Likes

I would trade #6 for Chase Young, #16 and #118….

Nope, too fsr back for 1 year of Okudah’s big brother

1 Like

I’m the guy that’s scared of cap moves. I was thinking Holmes was spending a lot & according to our resident @DeadStroke , we are in BETTER cap space after all the spending. LOL.

I am just gonna sit back & let Holmes operate without stressing.

A good majority of that was from the pay cuts to Romeo, Vaitai and Harris (almost $18M). Not sure if it’s Holmes, MCDC or someone else, but it takes someone special to convince someone he sucks and needs to take a pay cut, while convincing them that they are still wanted here.

Memphis Grizzlies Sport GIF by Mountain Dew

1 Like

We really have fantastic leadership here. I’ve been sold since the first time I saw Campbell…& sold on Holmes since after his first year’s batch of selections.

Lions fans have it reeeeaaal good

1 Like

Chairman of the Fed Job Description, Line 1.

1 Like

Thank you! I was wondering when someone was going to look beyond the name and college reputation.

3 Likes