Companion Poll: Ditch Quinn, Patricia, or both?

I think it definitely mattered.

3 Likes

Still the last football game I’ve seen, and it’ll remain that way until the league takes it’s officiating problems seriously.

3 Likes

Not trying to be smart, but why – what were you expecting?

Need another option:

This year - Keep both
Next year - Fire them all (if no improvement)

1 Like

So Quinn’s expectation was to deteriorate into a dumpster fire for two years then miraculously rise from the ashes to a Super Bowl contender in year three?

I think it’s far more plausible that Quinn expected to win right away and that either Chubs isn’t the coach Quinn thought he was or that Caldwell was way better than he was given credit for (or both).

2 Likes

I figured more people wanted change than the ones who wanted to stay put.

I think it is factor of being in limbo - Neither choice is appealing. If you have hope that MP can put it together with a healthy lineup and another draft then you choose stick it out - even if it might end in another losing season and brooming everything. But it is more appealing than starting over right now because you just don’t know what you are going to get and if that will work either. So the best case and shortest fix - therefore the most hopeful option - is sticking with what we have for another year. Personally I have always felt that you can tell within about 6 games if a coach is going to be successful or not and MP failed that test. But I do realize that part of it is how “teachable” the coach is and MP seems to have a desire to learn and grow as a coach. So maybe he puts it together. Maybe the foundation that Quinn and MP envision is just very different (putting in a system that produces perennial success) and takes longer. If that is the case then it would be worth giving them more time.

1 Like

I really don’t want another scheme change that requires a 2 to 3 year personnel shuffle for “fit”.

This is why I think they stay w both through 2021.

Mooch got 3 years and he was mailing it in from the middle of season 2 and by the time Marinelli tried to jigger the scheme and personnel, it turned into a total collapse. Now this is a lot of Millen as well over the 3M period from 01 to 07, but they have seen what happens when u burn down the house after 2 or 3 years.

Just as a note, how that 06 team went 7-9 is a mystery when u look at that roster which by and large turned in 0-16 thr next year…

3 Likes

The 2007 team was a nice prelude to what would become the 2008 season. We got lucky earlier in the season and started out 6-2. But in the 2 losses we got absolutely destroyed. The Eagles beat us 56-21 and the Redskins beat us 34-3. That was a sign of what was to come. During the losing streak to end the season, we lost to the Vikings 42-10, the Chargers 51-14 and the Packers 34-13. That trend would carry over into the 2008 season. Another trend at the end of 2007 that carried into 2008 was our inability to stop the run. The 2008 Lions are one of the worst run defenses in NFL history. They gave up 2,754 yards rushing in 2008 and teams added 31 rushing TDs and ran the ball at 5.1 yards per carry. In the last 5 games of the 2007 season we had 3 different teams run for over 200 yards on us. The Chargers damn near ran for 300 yards.

Its mind blowing to me that a team that ended the season as poorly as the Lions did in 2007, particularly in run defense…thought it was a good idea to trade our best run stopper ahead of the 2008 season and not replace him. We had undersized DTs paired with undersized DEs paired with undersized LBs. Just incredibly stupid. We all wasted every second we spent on the 2008 team, because it didn’t stand a chance in hell.

I said fire 'em all even tho I’m an MP fan and appreciate quinns approach to things, most of the time.

I just want excitement with the lions and that’s the most exciting thing we’ve done the last few decades is bring in new people so we can see how they can be dysfunctional with the lions.

Im just so bored trying to watch lions games that I really can’t do it. at least not now. can’t get excited with any lead because hey, we ain’t keepin it. can’t get excited for a ‘comeback!’ because nfl teams aren’t doing that favor for us anymore when we’re down 2 or 3 scores in playing off the ball.

If he’s really made solid process improvements I’m content to wait
This organization, as a whole, absolutely needed a complete overhaul
Patience isn’t fun while you’re waiting
And too many are quick to say it won’t work
At this point, none of us KNOW — period, end of story

1 Like

Stafford getting hurt buys them another year. I’m still of the opinion this team will be in total rebuild mode in 2021.

1 Like