Cornell He's a BIG feller!

I don’t know. His scouting report out of college said he had a very quick first step. He was playing out of position at Ohio state. He hasn’t played in two years. Maybe that lit his fire. Either way there’s no downside for us.

2 Likes

I encourage you to pull up some tape. He’s got some explosion, hand skills and bend to him.

2 Likes

That’s what I was saying. He’s a much better player inside at 3 tech. He was playing out of position as a defensive end at Ohio state. If he plays as well in preseason games I think you have to keep him over brockers.

5 Likes

I see what you did there…

1 Like

I think both stay and Cornell will have opportunities, like he’s getting right now. If he can continue to do it against our line in pads, then he’ll get his chance to surpass Brockers in PT. Would not surprise me if he did, because I think the staff will put the best player in the role. Brockers may be more steady against the run, but give me a guy who doesn’t have to push his way into the pocket, but slices his way through his intended gap. First step quicks and hand fight winners. Give me Gerald McCoy in his prime. Jonathon Allen. Those types. I think I can see a little of that in Levi and Cornell. But maybe I’m squinting a bit…

4 Likes

Jashon was a 4 star DE, he’s another tweener which means he can play multiple positions. I’m not sure if he has enough ass to him to play inside on a regular basis but maybe he’s beefed up.
He blew out his achilles and was suspended for PED’s, correct? So I’m guessing he’s probably lost a step.
He kind of reminds me of Da’shawn Hand, loads of talent but can’t stay healthy.

Overview

Athletic defensive lineman lacking core strength and body type for a clean positional fit in an odd- or even-front defense. His snap quickness and long lateral slides offer disruptive potential in a one-gapping front, but he’s missing the size and consistency to handle himself against NFL power. Teams could decide to play him as a five-technique, but he needs to prove he has the play strength to set a strong edge. His pass rush lacks explosiveness and skill to get quick wins, which could make his path to the pros more clouded.

Strengths

• Athleticism and motor create some stress for blockers
  • Initial quickness and range to counter zone-blocking schemes
  • Long lateral slide to elude block and find gaps when slanting
  • Above-average change-of-direction quickness
  • Uses sudden spin-counter for quick disengagement
  • Able to get from one edge to the other with his rush counters
  • Could have some life if installed into twist-happy unit

Weaknesses

• High-cut and leggy with below-average contact balance
  • Slender through his hips and bubble for a defensive tackle
  • Plays with a narrow base
  • Doesn’t have the core strength to handle read and react
  • 2019 sack total rarely created by clean, early wins
  • Disappointing bull-rush charge
  • Hands aren’t as skilled or heavy as they need to be
1 Like

Model Dancing GIF

2 Likes

I think it’s going to be difficult to keep both. The numbers game is going to factor in. Especially if they’re going to switch between fronts. If they plan on using a 3-4 look also then you’re most likely to keep penisini as a backup nose to McNeil. There may not be room for both.

Size doesn’t matter as much these days since teams hardly run the ball anymore. I think Cornell can stick as a backup if he plays up to the hype.

Some teams are still running it a bunch. The Ravens, 49ers and Titans come to mind. Heck the Patriots won a game last year throwing only 3 passes the entire game.

Yup - Far more about the OL than the RBs. It can be done, for sure. We have the exact setup for it too.

1 Like

There’s a handful of course but you’re looking at 6-7 teams out of 32. It would be a different story if it were back in the 90’s where you had 6-7 teams that were pass first and the rest were heavy run. Aaron Donald is a hall of fame player but he doesn’t have nearly the impact if he’s playing teams like Washington under Gibbs or the chargers under schottenheimer.

I’d have loved to see Donald play against Barry. That would have been fun to see.

1 Like

That would have been fun!!

I think your post is right on the $.

Paschal seems like a Flowers guy. Levi is the only true 3 tech on the roster. Nick Williams (and his hundreds of empty snaps) is gone.

We have Alim and Penisini as bigger DTs who can play multiple roles. We have 1 true 3 tech in Levi. Who backs him up and takes Nick Williams’s spot is an open question.

Brockers isn’t really set to play that role.

In terms of true DL guys (excluding edge guys) we have:
Alim, Levi, Penisini, Paschal and Brockers.

I can see Cornell fitting in there easily if no one else steps up and he stays healthy.

How does Austin Bryant fit into this puzzle? Is he an edge player of a guy like Paschal?

That would be 6 DL guys.

In terms of edge guys that includes Hutch, Charles Harris, Romeo Okwara, Julian Okwara and Austin Bryant? 5 guys?

If that is correct that is 11 guys if we keep Cornell and Bryant(as an edge guy). That feels about right to me.

He looks THICK as hell!

Penisini just retired. Guess it opens a spot up for others.

1 Like

Those guys were doing prostaglandin injections long before the blue pill.

I think they are still their treatment of choice

1 Like

Eh, learn something new everyday.

I think it’s going to come down to who the best player is. Levi can man the nose and Paschel can take the 5t spot. Pass rusher > Run stuffer. Cornell > Penisini.

EDIT: No longer a problem… Penisini retired.

No Penisini anymore