Corner and Okudah's 5th Year Team Option

Think of it this way.

The Lions exercise the option.

Draft a CB, or two. Sign a CB and Okudah can’t beat them out for a starting spot. Your now paying him 11 mil to ride the pine.

Or

The Lions draft a CB round one this year. Highly likely.

Okudah gets benched again for poor play and Jacobs takes his spot. You’re now paying him 11 mil to ride the pine and have him on the books through 2024.

Or

Okudah struggles with more injuries (highly likely). You have his contract on your books through the 2024 season.

Or

You don’t exercise the option and if any of the above happens you can easily move on after 2023.

Or you don’t exercise the option and he tears it up. You can still sign or tag him if you feel he is worth it.

The risks don’t outweigh the benefits in my opinion.

Ask yourself this question. Is he more likely or less likely to live up to the contract?

If your answer is more likely.

So far he hasn’t lived up to his contract in 3 seasons. What makes you think he will?

I’d say that’s wishful thinking.

1 Like

I think the Lions should draft 2 corners and trade Okudah

What’s wrong with that? Its only for 1 year. You get a year to bring up the draft picks and get them acclimated to the defense. Then you simply don’t resign Okudah. You have to remember that regardless of how many corners you have on the 53 man roster you are going to use all of them.

But again, there is a big difference between a 1 year option and resigning the guy to a new contract. You seem to view it like its a new contract rather than getting 1 more year of use out of a guy at the same pay rate as the year before.

He’s going to play no matter what. That’s how the CB position works.

Its a 1 year option, not a contract extension. You are trying to use language that makes it sound like we are signing him to a multiple year extension. We are not. Its a 1 year option.

If he tears it up, great. Now you have the option already exercised for the following season rather than paying MORE money to tag him. I am talking about picking up an $11M option, YOU are talking about picking up a $20M+ tag. That doesn’t make sense.

So why would you tag him or sign him to an extension if he “tears it up?” The 5th year option is a freebie as far as I am concerned.

2 Likes

IMO I do not believe that the Lions should pick up the 5th year option at this time. While unlike some I still believe that Okudah can become a CB1 all that he has shown is at best a CB 2. Which I believe that Jacobs has already shown that he can fill.

Now if the Lions do as many of us believe and take an outside CB in Rd 1, then the current setup allows a season for the rookie to get up to speed without being forced to play an extended amount of time this season. I am a firm believer that CB and QB are the two positions that you really do not want to start as a rookie, period. Now if by chance the rookie shows that he can handle the starting position, just like Sauce this last season, then that is better then the plan and great, if not then the Lions still have a couple of decent #2s that can play.

Now on the chance that Okudah does take that next step, which as I stated I believe that he still can. Then the Lions are in a great position and can look at giving him a new contract next offseason.

If he plays great that will only be 1 season that you are basing a contract extension on. If you use the option you can make him show you 2 seasons before making that decision.

Jeff Okudah vs Justin Jefferson in Week 3:

2 catches allowed
9 yards allowed
56.3 passer rating allowed

It was a great game for sure in week 3…but you can’t just post 1 game samples. In the 2nd Vikes game, Jefferson had over 220 yards and it should have been 250 because I really don’t think he stepped out of bounds on that long catch and run. Gotta look at the full season to get a better picture of his performance. Looked good early, then the injuries started popping up and was benched late in the season.

I just reviewed the catches real quick:

Catch #1 - Not on Okudah. I can’t tell who it is.

Catch #2 - Not on Okudah. It looks like Jerry Jacobs was peaking into the backfield.

Catch #3 - I can’t tell if #23 was supposed to have Jefferson or not. Either way, not Okudah even though Jeff made the tackle.

Catch #4 - Jefferson beat Okudah on a comeback route, making a good sideline catch that was short of the 1st down.

Catch #5 - Not Okudah again. It was #23.

Catch #6 - Great playcall vs the defensive call. Okudah was taking his responsibility with Vikings #17 and Jefferson caught the ball in front of DeSean Elliott. Okudah peeled back to make the tackle.

Catch #7 - Not Okudah, it was #24.

Catch #8 - Not Okudah, it was #24 again.

Catch #9 - Not Okudah, it was #23.

Catch #10 - Not Okudah, it was Jerry Jacobs. This is the play where they said he stepped out of bounds.

It looks like there is one catch I can’t account for. Maybe that one was Okudah?

2 Likes

Interesting… then here’s an important question, if Okudah is our best cover guy why isn’t he following Jefferson all over the field!?

And trying to cover Jefferson with AO who had been benched most of the season? WTF is AG doing. I’m sure we had some safety help over the top on a lot of them, but still. I believe Cousins passed for about 500 yards in that game.

Neex more pressure from defensive line, man.

1 Like

We had 4 sacks and 9 QB hits in that game… it just highlights how much of a need corner really is. Hock was also wide open that entire game.

Few things this board loves more than cherry picking a tiny sample size to justify a predetermined position.

I am not in favor of exercising the option personally, but this point is the biggest reason why I’d be ok with it if they did. At least you’re forcing moe data points with him before being forced to make a long term commitment

1 Like

That’s not what I’m doing at all. Clearly you’re not understanding.

It’s really simple. He hasn’t lived up to the amount of money he’s making yet. Exercising the option means he’s on your books for two more years at a large cap amount in both 2023 and 2024. You’re stuck with him that long. Keep in mind we’re talking about a CB still coming off an Achilles injury. He hasn’t beaten those odds yet.

He gets hurt you’re stuck.
He gets benched you’re stuck.
He loses his job to another CB and becomes depth. You’re stuck paying him 11+ mil.

Why risk it? …. If somehow he turns the corner and manages to start playing up to his draft position I’d be happy to pay the man. I just don’t see that happening.

I think we continue to see an Okudah just like the one we’ve seen each year. That Okudah isn’t worth 11 mil.

Yeah but none of that was on Okudah apparently.

:man_shrugging:

Pun intended?

I understand completely. Your logic is counterintuitive because you are starting with where you want to be and just backing into the rest of the thought process.

Using the option means he’s on the books for 1 more year. Its not a two year option.

You would be paying him for 1 year of playing at a high level. I certainly wouldn’t do that.

There’s really no need for the window dressing, either.

Bottom line is Air “don’t see that happening” regarding him playing well enough to earn a 2nd contract.

The simple position is “I don’t pick up his option because I don’t think he will be a player in the NFL.”
No more logic or persuasion needed.

You think he might be something? Pick up the option.
You don’t think he might be something? Don’t pick it up.
You unsure? Don’t worry about it, it’s not our decision to make.

The only impact the money has is that it’s a large enough sum that you have to answer the “be something” question. If you don’t think he’s going to be something, no debate about the money need be had. It’s the player, not the money.

1 Like

If Okudah was a FA right now there is ZERO chance he gets a $10 mill/yr contract.

He’s be looking at a 1 year prove deal or at best something in the $5 mill range. He’s way too inconsistent and way too slow.

1 Like

Based on your comments I don’t think you do.

1 more year yes but… the option is in 2024. That means your tied to him two more years. 2023 and 2024.

Come on… That’s not what I’m doing at all but I digress.

Not exactly …. But I do agree with you.

My stance is pretty simple … I doubt he will play well enough to earn a 22.5 mil two year contract. He hasn’t yet … and he’s coming off a major injury. There’s no reason to think his play will change. I think it’s too much of a risk and he hasn’t shown that he’s worth that much of a risk. If you pay him you’re paying him based on hope.

Keep in mind we’re talking about a guy who was benched last year and replaced with a guy who was being paid 1.2mil.

That’s really the simplest way to look at it.

If he were a FA from another team. Would you pay him 11+ Mil for two seasons on a prove it deal.

Because if you decide to pay it. He’s on the roster in 2023 for 11mil and 2024 for 11.5mil.

Are you willing to risk 22.5 mil over two seasons on a prove it deal?…. I am not.

If he were a FA on another team I doubt anyone on this board would want the Lions to sign him to a two year deal for 22.5 mil fully guaranteed.

That’s essentially what we would be doing.