Corporate Espionage

I have no doubt that the Patriots do everything in their power, including illegal things, to know other people’s draft boards (they got caught with their hands in the cookie jar several times while BQ and MattyP were there). I’m assuming BQ does the same with the Lions. Knowing how secret and tight lipped the Lions are is a tipoff that they believe other people are doing it to them, and that it’s common practice - their practice.

When we pick a player seemingly out of nowhere, I feel confident that the Lions know which teams like that player and where he’s likely to go in the draft. In some ways, I feel more confident when that is the case (the more it seems like a reach based on media projections).

All the media gets from smart teams is smokescreens. At the end of the day, mock drafts are poorly informed, often misinformed, with a fraction of the information available.

We’ve become sheep who trust what the media tells us, even though we have 20+ years of evidence to tell us how wildly inaccurate mock drafts are.

Mock drafts are fake, people. Our team is always going to have a better draft board for their type of players. Greedy Williams was never on our draft board. If you think BQ is going to draft him, you haven’t been paying attention to the conscious effort the team has made to improve their tackling. Teez Tabor wouldn’t have been on our draft board if Patricia was the coach. Let’s face it, he’s out of place now. That’s less on him and more on the coaching change.

Throughout all of this one thing is clear: The Lions actually have a system and a strategy. If we have another losing season its more likely that those are the things that are broken. Not our draft picks.

Edit: horrible grammar.

3 Likes

Well thought out and well said, Brandy.

1 Like

But, the talking heads got the first two picks right?

3 Likes

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt. It’d Be great if all that were true (and I’m not saying it is!)…
But this is the worst franchise in the history of professional sports when it comes to winning. Every move they’ve ever made has, be it good, wise, prestigious, spontaneous, intelligent or innovative, has resulted in the same thing. For us to “think outside the box” is doing the same thing as always.
I hope you’re right. I hope the LB isn’t Ikaka Alama-Francis all over. But I’m going to have to see it on the field first. Until then, when surprises like this happen, color me skeptic. You know, just another bad move by a bad team. (I’m not preaching from the top of the mountain saying that this is clearly a bad move! I have no idea. But, it just FEELS Lions-like!)

3 Likes

I’m not really thrilled with our 2nd and 3rd picks, mainly because of where/how they we’re taken.
I was already flabbergasted with the Tavai pick when they moved up and gave away a pick to take Harris.
I like Hock and Bryant, but, with the (needed) talent on the board when Tavai was taken, flabbergasted is really the wrong word. I’m pissed.
He better make me look foolish! If he fails I’ll be leading the orange shirts!

2 Likes

Im hanging my hat on Quinn’s recent track record at the top of the draft where he’s currently batting .889 since joining the Lions.

1 Like

I think the fact that they got the “2nd round rated” CB they wanted in the 5th is more proof that they know what’s what.

3 Likes

Pat Kirwan always brings up a philosophy by one of his favorite GMs (his name is escaping right now) but one of the finest arts of the draft is knowing when you should pull the trigger on a guy. Smart GMs know when they can just sit back and let the draft come to them, or trade up in front of somebody else that is targeting their player. Or trading back and knowing that you have enough players graded evenly so you can acquire more capital and not lose any “value” on your pick.

2 Likes

Can’t complain about the day 3 picks. No nothing about the WR and TE, but I like the other guys. The P state corner and Ty Johnson, along with Bryant feel like good moves.
But that LB is the 2nd… can’t get over it. Prove me wrong Lions!

1 Like