Cost of trading 3rd rd picks now in focus

So, now we know who would have been available at 73 and 92…did Brad get enough talent/value to offset getting say Beebe/ Trice/Elliss/Haynes at 73, or McMillan/McCaffrey/Kinchens/Jackson at 92?

IMO the difference between Arnold and the other corners at 29 in giving up on Beebe etc above is a wait and see. #1CB are hard to find and expensive, so IF Arnold is That Guy, it’s a win.

At 92 I think what may be a 1 year rental of CD3 is likely worth the guys available at 92, espcially if we take the next step…and really even if not given how ridiculous the WR talent in the NFCN is. No way anyone could stomach the Sutton/Vildor clown show from the second half and playofffs any further, obviously…even moreso given the Rakestraw pick

8 Likes

We were dealing with non-NFL level talent in the secondary for the last few years.

I don’t think the draft could’ve gone any better for the Lions.

And as Holmes said, Rakestraw just happened to be not only the team’s No. 2 ranked corner, but the top prospect on the board at that spot. Win win.

5 Likes

Beebe seemed like an immediate starter day1 at LG.

I had us losing Jonah do he seemed like a good guy to target round 3.

But with Zeitler signing, not necessarily a guy that would fit

Rather get Nourzard C/G now

Kind of the poor man’s Barton

1 Like

Feels like its a mix of short term and long term right now in the secondary

its in a win now mode with Carlton Davis and Amik Robertonson, with Arnold and Rakestraw being long term solutions at the positions

2 Likes

I can’t see Amik keeping Arnold off the field for very long.

I view Amik as an upgrade major upgrade over Jacobs as the scrappy backup

1 Like

Looking at it in a vacuum, I think we made out pretty damn good. Think of the frustrations from last year of teams easily converting long 3rd downs on us and Puka, Lamb, Jefferson and every other WR going off on us for 150+ regardless of who was throwing them the ball.

The play of the season burned in my head is the ball bouncing off Vindors mask to Ayuik…think these issues are now addressed going forward both in interm and in future.

But remember you really have to look at this like the butterfly effect, us not trading and grabbing who we took impacts not only ours but many many other pics behind us and there is a chance we still don’t end up with those players.

We did good and I am content.

1 Like

Dammit. I was trying to block that from my memory. More therapy, here I come.

1 Like

The #92 pick doesn’t bother me, it’s the #73 pick that stings a bit. Beebe, Trice, and Roman Wilson right there ripe for the picking.
Again, I believe in Brad and if he thinks highly enough to give-up that pick to get Arnold then so be it…but with Free Agency and the cost of your key players, you have to draft a lot of good players and be able to keep churning them to keep the cost down.

Rising tide lifts all boats or whatever. Bring the competition at DB and the unit will dramatically improve at every level and position. No downside to the way it’s been done, IMO.

2 Likes

We got 2 starting CB’s for those 3rd rd picks. By far our biggest need. I think it was well worth it.

2 Likes

Takes the sting away if you convince yourself they paid that price to move up into the teens, stole a divisional opponents #1 target, walked away with a top 10 talent overall, and top player at their position.

6 Likes

Management did a cost benefit analysis of getting Arnold over someone like Kool Aid as well as giving up the possibility of getting someone like Beebe. They came to the conclusion that Arnold was worth it. Case closed for me.

3 Likes

Love your screen name
Solid posts

You should write more often

2 Likes

Lol…maybe we can get a group rate!

Here is the question you have to ask yourself.

Do you want to 100% fix the most glaring weakness from last season or do you want to fix a future weakness (Oline) in this draft.

I was assuming they would do a little bit in both areas but he has done his things

I’m OK with giving up our 3rds for Arnold and Davis, even though we ended up losing some value on the trade with Dallas to acquire Arnold.

I am a bit disappointed with the Rakestraw pick over Beebe. I think I would have preferred picking up Beebe at that spot.

We created enough depth, competition, and flexibiity with the Arnold pick in our CB room and would have been better off gaining some depth and future use for our Oline.

As I side note, to me it felt like Holmes stating that Rakestraw was his number 2 corner in the entire draft was GM talk and kind of hard to believe.

1 Like

Sutton was paid like a No. 1 CB, but played like a No. 3-4 CB.

Vildor, a street free agent, shouldn’t have taken a single snap in the NFC Championship game.

If anyone complains about two CBs in Rounds 1-2, they need to reconsider whether they know anything about football.

Lions have Glasgow under contract for 3 more years, plus the way his contract his structured, he has an incentive to play well this coming season.

If Zeitler works out, maybe they sign him to a contract extension.

In my view, the Lions rely more on tape, GPS from game film to determine speed, and interviews. Discounting the fact that Rakestraw was still hampered by a groin injury during the underwear olympics, I could see how he may have been the No. 2 CB on their board. That being said, they must have saw something in DeJean’s game they didn’t like.

steve martin asshat GIF

2 Likes

Davis better step up his game or he is riding the pine in his contract year. Brad always plans ahead. This secondary is now a strength!