Cost of trading 3rd rd picks now in focus

steve martin asshat GIF

2 Likes

Davis better step up his game or he is riding the pine in his contract year. Brad always plans ahead. This secondary is now a strength!

I kinda like the position we are in regarding what you said. Arnold i assume would get a decent amount of playing time but theres no stress of trial by fire.

Let’s revisit this after game 10.
Like last year, we really didn’t have any holes that had to be filled.
So, we went bpa, which happened to have built the future CB room.
“Future”, being the key word.
It’s going to take an extremely special player to crack this years starting lineup. If these guys don’t see a lot of playing time, are we going to look at this as a failed draft?
Corners typically take a couple years to develop.
In that light, I can’t wait to see BroMart and Sorsdal play this season. If they break out, I don’t think we’ll be worried about having our first two picks learning for the future.
If BroMart and Sorsdal don’t ball out, I suspect there will be a lot of second guessing.

Our secondary last year showed one weakness can derail all the teams strengths.

We shored up our weakest spot, run back an equivalent OL and boast our same offense sans a #3 WR.

We can replace OL next year with Free Agency and the draft. Not too concerned with a Rookie on the OL next year instead of a 2nd year player on the OL.

We also don’t need to score, in theory, as many points a game when we may be looking at a defense that can now get off the field on 3rd down.

We hate giving draft picks, cause we’ve always been the team on the other side trading back to acquire more picks cause well we sucked. Good teams target players of value not quantity.

1 Like

Heads up: *** 🏈 OPEN: The Den Official NFL Draft Thread: Day 3 football *** KEEP IT HERE

This was my thinking as well, as tbh Sorsdal or Awo don’t look close ( if ever) to starting material

In the longer term, if Davis is a one-year rental and signs a nice deal somewhere else next offseason, we get the comp value out of that. Won’t likely be a 3rd on its own, of course, but that knocks down the cost of the 3rd rounder. In reality it might work out to be a 5th in terms of the actual long term cost. Meanwhile, we get the services of a solid vet while the kids grow up.

1 Like

Since when have the lions like giant unathletic unmovable guards? He wasnt a fit… yes he is a wall. But he doesnt get to the second level like we require

1 Like

Arnold was moved to the #1 spot on the depth chart on ESPN’s depth chart, not that it means anything but I think that is the expectation.

1 Like

Really we got back 2 6th rounders for davis so we traded 4th round value already. And may get back 4th or 5th comp pick if we let him go.

Personally i think Davis will be instrumental to getting us started this year. We will need all 5 outside corners this season and he is the most ready to go game 1.

1 Like

Totally forgot about the 6ths. Yeah, it’s a good deal for the Lions. And he should leave it all out on the field this year as he looks for one more big payday. Could turn out to only be the salary that the Lions will wind up paying and no real draft capital when it’s all said and done.

What I wonder is this:

If Brad had known Rakestraw would be available at 61, would he have traded up for Arnold? He said he didn’t plan to draft two CBs and I believe him, that’s just where the value was.

We’ll never know, but I’m sure it will give us something to argue about for the next few days.

1 Like

We get it. You dont trust Brad. He has always been Genuine 100% but you still dont believe or trust him.

And the lions dont seem to like incredibly unathletic guards… we need guards who pull and move and get to the second level. Bebee is an absolute wall that does not move at all. Square peg round hole situation here.

He would have to ball out to pay him over alim, decker, and some others. Hopefully he balls out.

He did try and trade up round 2 …

So let’s assume…

Arnold & Ennis

Newton & Ennis + Kiren/Beebe/Trice

Hmm :thinking:.

I like our dudes

If he doesn’t, it won’t be for a lack of trying. He’s got millions of dollars on the line based on his performance this year. Plenty of incentive.

Agreed…very happy with the draft. Attacking the problem.

My hunch would be Legette + Ennis + Beebe or something like that.

It will be interesting to watch the careers of Nate Wiggins and Connor Beebe to see if passing on that combo was worth Terrion Arnold.