Crazy thought

What would happen if the Lions took all night and part of the next day to make pick 32?

Normally if you don’t make your pick within the allotted time, the next team can then turn in their pick.
At pick 32 NO TEAM is behind you until the next night when the draft opens again.

The lions could take as much time as they wanted and POTENTIALLY give teams some opportunities to move up.

Nothing to lose…create lots of buzz…can make the pick at 5 pm the next day if they wanted.
PISS off Roger and leave the networks scrambling.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

They would create a new rule on the spot that screws us…and then admit later it shouldnt have happened…then send a fruit basket and a spa day gift card…I mean, thats what they have done in the past…

9 Likes

I think that since the draft doesn’t technically close until after we made our pick, that this wouldn’t work.

I believe theres a rule that states in order for your pick to qualify for the 5th year option, that pick must be made before time expires at the end of day one.

If the lions were foolish enough to let that happen. Jax would immediately be on the clock as soon as time expired.

Then it becomes a race to see who can turn in their card in the fastest. The league could technically accept Jax card at the end of day one but not make it official until the start of day two. Ultimately leap frogging the Lions.

1 Like

And somehow, Mike Holmgren would be involved in putting it to us…

2 Likes

Doesn’t the pick just go to the next team in the 2nd round? Like immediately? I don’t see how the pick wouldn’t be made right then and there. Just because there is no schedule for round 2 until the following night doesn’t mean there isn’t a team right behind you to make the 32nd pick. The 32nd pick is going to be made on the first day.

2 Likes

yep, the pick would revert back to the rams and we’d lose our next 1st round pick because we were being unsportsmanlike.

2 Likes

Air, I could not find anything that says you lose the 5th year option

Would they have their clock start immediately then. so the team behind them could put in a card after 7 minutes. then the team after them??? Procedurally this could not happen or technically the draft could end overnight.

That is the point I make above. if the 33 pick (jacksonville) is then on the clock are we 7 minutes after that with pick 34? and so on. IF I SAY IF that is the case and the clock keeps running we could put in all our picks at the proper intervals and get unbelievable picks if other teams didn’t submit cards at their appropriate interval.

I am sure there has to be some protocol, but I looked and didn’t see anything. this is all I found under NFL Operations

DRAFT RULES AND PROCESS

Draft Rules and Process

Expand

The NFL Draft takes place over three days (Thursday through Saturday) each spring.

Only the first round is held on Thursday. It starts at 8 p.m. Eastern time, and each team has 10 minutes to make its pick. The second and third rounds are on Friday; rounds 4-7 are on Saturday. Teams get seven minutes to make picks in the second round, five minutes for regular or compensatory picks in rounds 3-6 and four minutes in round 7. If a team lets its time expire without making a choice, it can make a selection later — but it runs the risk of letting the next team on the clock take the player it was considering.

It really doesn’t address pick 32 specifically.

1 Like

The team has 7 minutes to make a selection and turn the card in. Unless they change the rule this year. That rule does not change because of draft position. Pick 32 gets 7 minutes just like every other pick.

10 minutes first round - 7 second round. I misspoke in above comment.

It is 10 minutes in round one and then goes to 7.
Still doesn’t address the issue. If the clock continues since we didn’t make a pick when does it stop?

heat death of the universe.

So let’s do stupid stuff just because and see what happens? Isn’t that how MTV came up with the Jackass series?

One would hope they would be prepared enough that they wouldn’t need all night and the next morning to make that pick

1 Like

It is a crazy thought, but you may have found a loophole The way its worded, I think the worst that could happen is that the league would take the jax pick before ours, so we get the 33rd rather than the 32nd player (which could foil a trade-up agreement). But I don’t see how they could count it as a second round pick or revoke the five year contract length. Then again, the world is against the Lions. So if the Patriots did it, it would be a stroke of genius, and if we do it, we would be painted as the stupid bumbling franchise again.

Yup - every time.

The Vikings didn’t pick once and they simply jumped them and went to the next team and the Vikes fell back 1.

My understanding is the rule states in order to qualify for the 5th year option the pick must be made before the clock runs out on day one.

So if the clock runs out the next team is up and you forfeit your 5th year option.

The next team would be on the clock but the clock wouldn’t start until the next day. But they can turn their card in before their clock starts.

The clock stops at 10 min. The Lions would no longer be on the clock and Jax could make their pick. If Jax turns their card in before the Lions that pick counts.

In order to qualify for the 5th year option a pick must be made in round one. Once the clock runs out on pick 32 then round one is over regardless if the Lions made their pick or not.

Min did this once. They let the clock run out and then slid down the draft board several spots in order to save money on the rookie cap rules. Meanwhile several teams ran to the podium. It wasn’t at the end of the round but that really doesn’t matter.

The same thing happens at the end of round one. Once the clock expires the next pick is a second round pick. Therefore no 5th year option.

This…

1 Like