Dan Campbell encouraged by Hendon Hooker’s growth in rookie season

Dan often says that a player is improving.

How do you feel when he says that:
He’s not there yet?
We’re happy at where he’s at?
Something else?

Its a brilliant assessment, becuase it gives credit for work, and the player can feel good.
But think about who we draft and who’s on our roster - every guy is a worker. Many were team captains. Some have a chip on their shoulder. They all want to prove themselves. So I’ve come to think of the “he’s getting better” assessment as the minimum expected to keep a roster spot. Just wondering how you feel when you hear that “he’s improving”…i

2 Likes

I think its the expectation like you said. This group is very much of the belief that you should always be working to improve at your craft, and if you arent you wont be here long… cough buggs

As for hooker i am excited to see him light it up in preseason and hear the lions fans go back to the backup qb being their favorite player.

3 Likes

Its been quite awhile since qb2 was the favorite. Qb3 has been more than qb2…kellen moore better than stafford is the last one i remember by the moore slappies.

I agree. Will be fun to watch a young qb with potential to be really good. Not suggesting he will replace Goff, but if Goff gets injured, would love the next young stud qb to be our back-up and not flush the season…which was a big risk in 22 (sitting a little better in 23 with Bridgewater). I expect to see more proof of Brad’s amazing drafting ability when I get to see him play.

1 Like

I’m hoping we hear glowing reports from camp on HH, I would love to see him ball out in preseason. I hope the he becomes a media poster child. Why? I have no illusions of him replacing Goff, I want to see teams fighting to trade for him. Is he able to get us a #1 pick in the 25 draft? I’d like nothing more, then wash and repeat with another QB we develop.

2 Likes

If HH hits JW in stride for a 80 yard TD in preseason the cheers for Goff will be replaced for Hooker cheers.

police cop GIF by South Park

The thing is, if not for the injury, Hendon had a real shot at going #1 OA.
We could have a real good problem on our hands in a couple years

2 Likes

Alim McNeill: Hendon Hooker’s Arm ‘Smooth as Butter’

Snl Coffee Talk GIF - Snl Coffee Talk Linda Richman GIFs

I did not watch hardly any of him in college. Does he have the athleticism to offer some special package plays for us this coming year?

I didn’t watch much either. I’m just basing it off the opinions of those on here who do pay attention and mentioned that he was possibly a first rounder or even high first rounder without the injury.

Maybe they have an opinion on gadget plays or special package potential

watch

I personally wouldn’t be opposed to creating certain packages for Hooker. Whether that is a wildcat look or even QB sneak packages where Hooker is a little more stout than Goff and may be able to get a little more drive than Goff could.

Hooker certainly has the football IQ and physical ability to improve. With another training camp and another year to improve, he could become a Jordan Love level player.

Impressive highlight reel. Me likey, he looks to have some quick feet and keeps his eyes downfield under duress.

1 Like

I am super excited to see what this young man can do in camp.

Teammates have noticed his… maturity…

Youre Getting Old Beavis And Butthead GIF by Paramount+