Dan Campbell Learns Early Lesson: Leaving Voicemails Does Not Work

Weeze does that to me all the time, bro. LOL

Two. Had no idea.

I do that as well. I consider it a soft and hard copy of information being passed about. So later when they say they don’t remember me telling them about it I can say “well, I also sent it via email”

I’ve always found email to be the perfect form of business communication for meaningful matters. It can be long-form and detailed, it’s asynchronous (perhaps the most important feature), and there’s a written record of what’s been said and agreed upon.

I’m fine with text / chat (Slack etc.) for quick-hitters, but I find that’s best for intra-team stuff rather than inter-team or external.

I hate dealing with vendors on the phone. I don’t like the interruption, and promises made verbally never seem to get the same level of follow-through that ones made in writing do.

YMMV

Unless you are my wife or parents, dont bother calling. I’m probably not going to pick up. Client or some business trying to get ahold of me, email works best.

I still leave my cell at home at time and like check my email one a millennium

1 Like

I heard “Hotline Bling” last night with its signature phrase “You used to call me on my cell phone” and I was thinking, when was that last time someone told me, “Call me on my landline”? I mean, haven’t landlines gone the way of dial phones? If someone tells me they have a landline, I presume their email address ends with aol.com or that it was packaged for a cheaper rate on their internet and TV. And I’m old school.

I occasionally write letters to distant friends just for the shock value. Also, I individually write and fill up the whole Xmas cards to about 35 people, partly for that purpose too. The other part is it’s a sort of meditation for me that conjures up memories and what that person means to me. Works for me.

3 Likes

I do this for clients, my bro. I have a concept I teach to them about truth/faith anchoring through written word - Loving it.

I live off email and VM. Not so much text but more and more people seem to want to use texting.

Personally I find texting unprofessional because it’s not personal like a VM is.

I do use my transcribed VM messaging a lot to see the importance of a VM and because I’m always multitasking and in meetings.

I must say I find it difficult to keep up with the amount of emails I get. Sometimes I am days behind in that aspect.

However I have two pet peeves.

My work VM states that if it’s important to reach me on my cell. Very few people do this and instead leave time sensitive messages on my work VM. Problem is that I am not in the office everyday and I don’t check those VM messages daily.

My other pet peeve is how people leave VM messages. I’ll get a message like “Hey it’s Dave. Call me.” problem is I know dozens of Dave’s and have no idea who left me that message. Leave a number and a last name …. It shocks me how many people do not do that … Or I’ll get a message like. “Hey it’s Dave. Call me at 248-390-?75? And I can’t make out what the number was that they said. They do not repeat the number and they don’t leave a last name. So once again I haven’t a clue who’s calling me.

When I leave a message I always say my first and last name. What my message is about. I leave my work and cell number and then repeat those numbers with a best time to reach me on them. How hard is that to do? … sure my message is lengthy but it’s thorough and professional.

2 Likes

I leave voice text with iPhone users. My energy is usually equally important to whatever it is that I’m saying, in my industry.

Now we are talking acceptance vs preferred imho

I prefer a phone call, and a message left VM as it includes nonverbal…

Regarding texts, I am with the understanding that it was originally designed for short, brief communication only… but human nature destroyed that…

And my pet peeve is impatience in other’s expecting a .3 seconds turn around respond back time…

I still go hours without my. Heck, I just drove this morning to the gym and forgot it… big whoop. I was without for 2.5 hours… many today would cringe…, I loved the idea of just reading my book and working out without interruption :+1::crazy_face::heart::heart::pray:

My wife does this with friends and family. She even writes me letters and mails them to my job. It really is special because noone does it. One time she sent me a letter with a little cheap Chipotle gift card inside. She could have just handed it to me at home but she said she wanted it to feel more thoughtful, so she mailed it to my job. I’m going to start doing it myself.

I love text. Its definitely unprofessional but that’s also why I think its more personal. To me when someone sits down and drafts out an email its typically very formal and CYA with alot of business jargon. VM’s aren’t necessarily much better because there is a certain format that is supposed to be followed and there’s no interaction between the people. Text is simple and straight forward, and the people I text with tend to drop the formality of the conversation in text form. As a funny side story I worked with a guy who texted with his kids and wife alot so he was pretty good at it. Meanwhile he was a “hunt and peck” guy on the computer keyboard. So he would only send short emails from his computer. If he had a long email to write out you could see him sitting in front of his computer on his cell phone typing it out on his phone. And it really was faster for him.

I find that the best format for VM is to give a phone number at the top of the message and then repeat it later in the message. What I hate is when someone leaves me a lengthy VM but then doesn’t give me their contact info until the very end. Now if I miss it or if it isn’t clear, I have to go back and listen to this long ass VM again to try to catch it. And god forbid I can’t get it the 2nd time and have to keep listening to it. This isn’t as bad on my cell because I can fast forward the point where I start the VM. But on my office phone its a pain in the butt. So I try to say “hey its Big Daddy Long Stroke and my number is 999” and then I go into the meat of the message and then repeat my name and number again at the end.

I think Air might be able to use this feature since he really wants his voice heard. He can transcribe the message and then text it to the person.

All you have to do is go back to the early days of text messaging. There wasn’t a keyboard on those. So to even text “call me” required hitting 2, 2, 2 to get to the C. Then 2 again for the A. Then 5, 5, 5 for the L…pause…5, 5, 5 again for the other L. Then 0 for the space. Then 6 for the M. Then 3, 3 for the E. I would say that early text messaging functioned alot like a little more advanced pager. And you had to pay 10 cents per text or whatever it was until they started coming out with texting plans. I still remember some guy we hired who was an early adopter of text messaging who would text his wife and kids alot but didn’t realize we didn’t have a texting plan on our work phones because it wasn’t needed at the time. He had several hundreds of dollars worth of text messages that first month.

This tends to be more of a female thing but I definitely know what you are talking about. Some people get really emotional thinking all kinds of crazy stuff if you don’t text them back for a little while. The strangest thing is to not look at your phone for a few hours and then when you pick it back up you see someone texted you a bunch of times in a row and basically had a nervous breakdown and conversation with themselves that ends with “OMG I guess you just don’t want to talk to me anymore. Goodbye!” LOL

2 Likes

I find the people I work with are more themselves and open with me when sending text messages or writing me over Teams, which comes to my phone like a text anyway. They write me an email and they act as if our conversation is being broadcast on the news. Perhaps it’s generational.

The older guys I work with prefer a phone call over any other form. When they do send me a text I usually have no idea what the hell they are trying to tell/ask me. “Dan, Steve need support. Pump” is literally a message I received on Teams the other day. My response was, call me.

The technical term for “texts” is SMS (Short Message Service). Short being the keyword. :slight_smile:

As for email vs text, yes, email is going to be much more formal.
You’re able to open a window and start a message that you can take your time constructing, including pulling in reference material. There is an element of letter-writing when using email, so again, you’ll see more formalities.

Greetings Dude,

Message body.

Thank you,

My Name
Signature Inc.

embedded company logo
embedded company disclaimer

When I worked at Dow, my experience was that the worse someone’s English was, the more insistent they were at communicating via phone, regardless of age. While I appreciate that they were communicating in their second or third language, it’s way easier to comprehend written communication (even with spelling and/or grammar mistakes) than someone with a super thick accent over the phone.

1 Like

It’s amusing to me how typing has gone from something “only kids are good at” to something “only old people do” as I’ve aged.

I’ve hired a couple of 18 year olds relatively recently, and they’re totally stymied behind a keyboard.

My newest employee was having trouble with logging into her payroll account, so I had her come back behind my desk to log into her Gmail and do the password recovery from my computer. She took one look at my ergonomic keyboard with about 1/2 of the letters worn off from use and said, “I don’t even know what this is.”

1 Like

Speaking of typing, I think it’s funny that we’re still using a keyboard letter arrangement designed in the 19th century so that typewriter arms didn’t jam. Not really applicable when swyping on a mobile screen.

Without email I wouldn’t know when my cigars and coffee are coming.

1 Like

It kind of worrisome that Campbell doesn’t realize that kids today will only respond to faxes.

2 Likes