Dan Campbell warns Lions fans to 'be ready' for the team to trade out of the 1st round

https://x.com/UpAndAdamsShow/status/1783216924291445105

The Villain going to to move out of the first round when the draft is in detroit?

Interesting.

Asked about the depth of the draft, Campbell indicated there is a group of about 15 players atop the Lions’ ranking, then another group of potential starters.

“I know that you get one of these players in the top 15, you’re going to get a heck of a player,” he said. "There’s a couple areas that are heavier than others, but we also know those will go pretty fast. This is an offensive draft. I mean, there’s more offensive players than defensive players overall at the top of this, so it’s just – it’s interesting every year. You go through this process, you find these guys you really like. Man, they fit you, and then we’re going to be sitting there and you’re just going to watch them fly right off the board.

“When it’s all said and done, you look and all the legwork you did and you realize it’s like, ‘Man, all these guys you thought you really liked, there’s not as many as you thought after the other 31 teams pick through every draft.’ So that’s the nature of it and all we got to do is find the guys that we like when it comes time for us to pick.”

1 Like

This is code for "were trading up to #3 and taking JJ. :heart_eyes:

I’m prepared for one of 3 options:

1. Trade up if a defender we covet starts to fall
  2. Stay put and draft O-line
  3. Trade out of 1st for a deal that includes a 2025 first (because rooting for another team to lose is fun).

Lets Eat Man GIF by Bernardson

1 Like

a third and a 2025 first from a crappy team

1 Like

Trade up, trade down, so basically

This is exactly why I don’t expect them to pick at 29. Only way we stay put if if multiple players in their top 15 are dropping. If there is only one left, and its in the early 20s, Brad will move up. If they are all gone, he will move back.

1 Like

Agree 1000% with that take.

I think the same thing. After giving up the 3rd Rd pick for Carlton Davis, the Lions really don’t have the ammunition to move up significantly this season without giving up 2025 picks (which is supposed to be a deeper draft).

However, if a player they have in the top 15 moves into the 20s where the price for trading up could be far more reasonable, then the Lions will likely make a move for “their” player.

Just because Holmes’ list may only be 15 deep doesn’t mean a player from that list won’t be on the board at #29.
Last year there were players on Holmes’ 1st rd board (of approximately 16) available deep into the 2nd rd.
He was able to get 4 players off of his 1st rd board, two (LaPorta & Branch) in the 2nd rd.
Hopefully all 6 QB’s go in the 1st rd to push more players down to the Lions.
I still think it is more likely Holmes trade down but if the last of the three (Mitchell, Arnold, DeJean) 1st rd CB’s gets in range he may pull the trigger on moving up.
I doubt if a CB makes it through the teams picking in the 20’s directly before the Lions.
Philly (obvious cb need), Dallas (not bringing back Gilmore), TB (traded away Davis), Buf (likely go WR but did lose Tre, Davious White).

Which teams are the most needy to move up that are likely to have high draft position next year. Commanders? Lots of talk of them trading back into RD 1 for OL.
Which other teams? A trade could yield nice rewards next year.
As we will be drafting last!

Some think Brad is thinking about trading up
Some think he’s looking into trading down.

I promise you, he is looking into BOTH!
This cat has a plan, a backup plan, a backup plan to the backup plan…a backup plan to the backup plan of the backup plan…
I also promise you he’s open to changing and turning on a dime in the moment.

Become water my friend → Holmes’s philosophy to the draft.
Be incredibly prepared, but …Become water!

1 Like