Dan Campbell warns Lions fans to 'be ready' for the team to trade out of the 1st round

1 Like

This is totally something the Villian would do. Just like last year, he said F*** your draft board.

1 Like

Brad will explore trade ups, too. Don’t be misled.

But if the right deal is not there, then sure, they’ll move down if they don’t see the value on the board at 29.

They will have their bucket of first round guys and make some calls. This warning is about one of the three scenarios for round 1. Nothing more. Just don’t want the home town fans to be too disappointed.

First, go and get a first round talent if the price is right. Second, stick if one of your guys falls. Third, move back and add a pick or two.

The way I see the Villain working anyway. Due diligence all the way around.

3 Likes

Well this just confirms in my mind that they kind of tier players.

So not really a direct ranking 1-200 but more or less a tiered system of players and projections. So basically if the tier 1 guys they wanted are gone they will trade back to get multiple of tier 2 and 3 guys playing the numbers game.

Yeah, the more they talk about trading down, the more I think they may have something else in mind as Plan A.

Doesn’t matter, though. Chef Brad is cooking, and I’m sure I’ll be delighted with whatever is put on my plate.

4 Likes

So, trading our first round pick for an established player would technically be “trading out” of the first rd.

1 Like

Ive said quite a few times on here that I would bet money that the Lions don’t pick 29th. I believe they either move up to get there guy, or move back to acquire more captial.

2 Likes

Brad has consistently indicated that everyone can’t be a Lion.
Last year I believe he had 16 players with a 1st rd grade.
Last year was great because I think he got 4 players that he had 1st rd grades.

Picking at #29 is much different.
If he has his usual 15 - 20 players with 1st rd grades (and at least a couple are QB’s that we don’t expect will be on the board or him to select), all could be gone by pick #29.
If so he will trade back rather than reaching for a player he has a 2nd rd grade.
Every team’s board is different so there may be players available at #29 that Holmes has a 1st rd grade. Last year we got LaPorta and Branch in the 2nd and Holmes had 1st rd grades on both.
Holmes could decide to trade up if he is really passionate about a player and/or no other 1st rd graded players will be available at #29, and there is no offer to trade down.
I will continue to say it is much more likely for a trade down than up.

trade out of the first and second round. imagine the number of picks we’d have.

Dan Campbell just confirmed that we are trading up because you know its all smokescreen right now.

I think most see this since I would expect that even Holmes and MCDC would both say that this roster is still a bit thin. It is now a functional NFL roster but it is still lacking some firepower and competition in multiple position groups. So it is his job to create both of those things. So more picks would make more sense than selling out for a single player. I would suggest that there is under 5 players they would be willing to short this drafts numbers on for that player. It is more than moving up you are also losing numbers.

I mean it’s a real possibility. Player pool at 29th vs player pool at 40 is the same and comes down to preference and need.

2 Likes

I have a feeling that …

Friday is the real day to watch for the Lions.

4 Likes

The way he put that “our guy’s not there” it sounds like they got literally one guy they want…

2 Likes

That could be. The flip side is that the draft in Detroit so setting expectations for a potentially disappointing situation for many in person attendees seems wise.

I don’t think we yet know what we’re going to do.

1 Like

They don’t have one guy they have targeted for the 1st rd.
But by the time #29 comes around it may just be one guy remaining.
I think that was the point.
If there isn’t anyone on their 1st rd board when they are up at #29 they will trade down. They may trade down before they are on the clock if all of their guys go sooner.

I wonder if all this noise briefing the fans to prepare for a trade down is actually disguising an interest in trading up ?

2 Likes

2 picks in the top 8 slots on Fri.

1 Like

I doubt it.
Not Holmes and Dan’s style.

Its silly season for sure! I do think there is merit in not getting boo’ed at your draft party though, lol. Brace 'em just in case!

1 Like